New to Overclocking.

HogDog

Alright, well I just built a new rig and its my 1st time overclocking, so I'm sure I did something stupid :P

Okay well 1st off heres my specs:

E6750

eVGA nForce 680i SLI

8800 GTS 640

2GB G.Skill DDR2 800

Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU

I got my FBS to 1813, multi at 8x, I played Call of Juarez for about an hour temps never got over 50C (my temps are 25C-27C idle), then I ran OCCT for a half hour and it passed,

After that i ran 3dmark06, Then i set OCCT to run for 8.5 hours and after about an hour my comp reboots. So then I tried running SP2004 Orthos and

it failed after 8 min.

Heres a what some of the settings in the BOIS are:

CPU Thermal Control: Disabled

C1 Enhanced Halt State: Disabled

Intel Speed Step: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

HT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCie Spread Spectrum SPP: Disabled

PCie Spread Spectrum MCP: Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Core: 1.5v

CPU FBS: 1.5v

nForce: 1.50V

SLI Ready Memory: Disabled

FBS - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

MEM (DDR), MHZ: 800

So did I do something wrong? Did I overlook something? Or has my CPUs FBS already reached its ceiling?

-thanks a ton, HogDog

Edit: Also I never flashed my BIOS, I don't know if that has anything to with my problem.

Edited by HogDog

okay I raised the CPU core to 1.55V and I ran Orthos for 1 hour and 45 min before it failed, so is if I were to increase the CPU core do you think it be more stable? at its current setting it's not getting hotter than 61C, is it safe to raise it any further?

Edited by HogDog

Personally, if it were my chip I wouldnt give it much more juice. Nothing is in the danger zone but for most people those are almost to the safe limits.

okay I raised the CPU core to 1.55V and I ran Orthos for 1 hour and 45 min before it failed, so is if I were to increase the CPU core do you think it be more stable? at its current setting it's not getting hotter than 61C, is it safe to raise it any further?

Personally, I wouldn't go above 1.55V. And you need to give us the rest of your settings before we can tell you why it might be unstable. Otherwise it's just a shot in the dark. ;)

Your core temp is way to high. Back it down to 1.45 or less, that should be adeqaute. I suggest running your cpu linked and synched with your memory. It will increase stability when you run them at a 1:1 ratio. Also 1.4v for the FSB should be enough, and run the spp at 1.45v, the mcp at 1.55v, and HT at 1.45v. I need some more info. Is your 680i an AR or A1? What BIOS are you running? P30? What are the timings of your memory? I doubt you hit your ceiling with the cpu or the board. Good luck.

thanks for the info guys. Sorry I haven't replied, my PC blew up, I mean smoke, sparks, the works. I know what your thinking, but I lowered my voltages and set my FBS back to normal. Anyhow it was my PSU that fried i just hope not all my hardware went with it.

thanks for the info guys. Sorry I haven't replied, my PC blew up, I mean smoke, sparks, the works. I know what your thinking, but I lowered my voltages and set my FBS back to normal. Anyhow it was my PSU that fried i just hope not all my hardware went with it.

I remember that someone here lost their hardware to a blown PSU last year and the manufacturer replaced everything. I think it was an Enermax and I think it was Raven65.

I also have the E6750 and an EVGA 680i running p30 BIOS. My problem is that when I try to change the multiplier for the cpu, I'm restricted to a value of 6, 7, or 8... Is this normal or am I missing something that will allow me to adjust the multiplier to a value outside the range of 6-8?

I also have the E6750 and an EVGA 680i running p30 BIOS. My problem is that when I try to change the multiplier for the cpu, I'm restricted to a value of 6, 7, or 8... Is this normal or am I missing something that will allow me to adjust the multiplier to a value outside the range of 6-8?

That's normal. Only very expensive CPUs let you increase the multi above stock levels (X6800, FX-55, FX-62, etc.).