Used Car

nan0click

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooor be like me nad buy a land yacht that gets 20 mpg highway, and feel safe when driving :D. Crown Victorias are something Malroth and I both like.

You feel safe but with a land yacht like that you are much LESS safe than people in newer cars.

it's been proven by the government. 1 heavy beast of a vehicle hits another both sides come out fine. 2 little cars hit each other the chance of injury goes up. we don't even need to discuss little car vs large vehicle...

needless to say I think the problem in your logic there isn't people driving big cars / trucks. the problem is too many people driving roller skates.

I believe he's referring to crush zones which absorb momentum. But, big car + little car = somewhat bigger big car :D.

For me, a seatbelt and airbag is enough for most wrecks, given the area I drive and the speeds I drive at. No morons out here do 90+ on the highway.

okay puck... that's fine.

initial cost of purchase lower. gas miliage... not 100% convinced of the #'s there but you play with em... I won't even sit in a chevy if I can help it... so I'll take your word on it.

now comes that cost of ownership. and I think back to my buddy Tim having to have a camero after highschool. and the money pit that car quickly became. his parents bought him the car on the condition he took care of a full ride to college, which he did. brand new off the lot car... ate tires like no tomorrow, breaks, and the kick in the nuts that made him give it up... INSURANCE. male drivers under the age of 25 in the US have the highest insurance rate out of any group. I saw the same thing @ 21 when I got a Ford F-150 lightening vs 26 when I got a Dodge 1500 SRT-10. logically the insurance should have been higher on the dodge, it's less than 1/4th now.

but please don't take it as me saying not to get something like that. just make sure you know waht you're getting into before you jump in head first.

Not necessarily for the base model 6'ers, but for the GT/TransAm/Z28 packages this is true. They are almost all beat to hell with a ton of miles, often raced, and usually have a lot of mods and "ghetto rigged" things that may hurt you later on when trying to repair something.

...unless you keep it stock maintaining it will be expensive, and when you start modding and racing things tend to break. For longevity a v6 accord is a great, reliable daily driver. For a more sporty "econobox", used cobalts go for around 6-8 grand in good condition.

You have a ton of options for used cars in that price range, you shouldnt have a problem finding something you like :)

I wasn't by any means suggesting any type of performance vehicle - I actually went against getting a z28/trans am, and the only vehicle I solidly recommended in my post was a v6 accord :)