Burn everything that is in a folder

sprintlife

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a program that Burns everything that is in 1 folder I select. This folder can have anywhere from 10MB to 100GB of data. I want to program to back the stuff and burn it all to Data DVDs. I believe this maybe be called a backup, but it takes WAY to long to create everything. I was wondering if there is a faster way. ;)

Not really. There isn't any magical program out there that will let you burn 100GB of data faster than any other way. It may make it easier but it'll take just as long.

If you're really going to be backing that much stuff up do it on an external or internal HD. I know that the max a dual layer DVD can hold is 13.2GB so you're looking at 9 DVD's minimum to back up 100GB of stuff and it'll take forever to burn. Plus external HD's are pretty hard to lose compared to DVD's. Grab an enclosure on newegg(you can get a decent one for as little as $30) and as big of an HD as you need and copy.

Edit: Also, depending on the burning speed of your DVD drive the external HD method could be faster(probably will be since it's just drag and drop instead of all the other junk you have to do to burn the data) and it is the cheaper method over time.

Edited by iKillSteal

max dual layer dvd can hold is 8.5gb which accaully comes out to 7.9gb i think. if you really are set on backing things to disc get a blu-ray burner for $500 which can hold 50gb per disc.

and you would be looking for WinRAR for breaking a "folder" into many parts. its free

max dual layer dvd can hold is 8.5gb which accaully comes out to 7.9gb i think. if you really are set on backing things to disc get a blu-ray burner for $500 which can hold 50gb per disc.

and you would be looking for WinRAR for breaking a "folder" into many parts. its free

There is another format called DVD-14 which is basically a DVD-5 and DVD-9 disc glued together forming one dual-layer disk. Obviously the capacity on either side is uneven which is one of the reasons why they are so rare(not even in production anymore). Actually now that I think about it the max DVD capacity is about 16GB. Dual DVD-9 layers holding about 8GB each.

Edited by iKillSteal

I think he means sequentially, like, if it was 49GB in the folder, the program keeps asking for more discs, until 10 have been used for example and all data is backed up.

Remember how Winzip could multi-span floppy discs? Yeah, probably like that :)

I think he means sequentially, like, if it was 49GB in the folder, the program keeps asking for more discs, until 10 have been used for example and all data is backed up.

Remember how Winzip could multi-span floppy discs? Yeah, probably like that :)

Silvefox, how old do you think I am? Floppies...talk about old school... :lol:

I really don't know of any program that does/has that... You'd think that would be an included feature in any backup program because it's so simple and important...

Edit: You know I just looked at my post count for the first time in a while and I realized that I'm no longer an OCC greenhorn, I'm a generally helpful member(most of the time :blush:)! Man, its been almost an entire year since I joined...time has really flown by. I think it's party time!!! cool.gif

Edited by iKillSteal

I do data back up for work and I want something that makes my life easier. I want a program that breaks whatever I put in the folder and breaks it down to go on to multi DVD dics. I don't care if it takes 1 to 1 million DVD dics to back up the stuff on that folder.

I do a lot of backup stuff for doctors personal PCs at work and they keep crashing their O/Ss all the time. I just want to be able to just copy the files over to my 500GB exterant hard drive and Burn the data off the drive to a multi DVD dics.

I just want something that will make my life easier then copying the Data in to Nero and then remember which data I have already burned.

I have searched the web and I can't find anything and it bugs me. So I have turned to you guys!

I do data back up for work and I want something that makes my life easier. I want a program that breaks whatever I put in the folder and breaks it down to go on to multi DVD dics. I don't care if it takes 1 to 1 million DVD dics to back up the stuff on that folder.

I do a lot of backup stuff for doctors personal PCs at work and they keep crashing their O/Ss all the time. I just want to be able to just copy the files over to my 500GB exterant hard drive and Burn the data off the drive to a multi DVD dics.

I just want something that will make my life easier then copying the Data in to Nero and then remember which data I have already burned.

I have searched the web and I can't find anything and it bugs me. So I have turned to you guys!

Here is one option that does what you want:

Handy Backup