Ninja vs. Zalman 9500

Which would perform better? I don't want the Ultra 120 eXtreme due to problems with 680i reference board compatibility. I ask because I like the mounting options for 775 on the Ninja and would like better cooling. How is the mating surface on the Ninja? I'm tired of lapping. I may build a second rig now that I am moving into a bigger house with more room and I'd put the Zalman on that one.

Which would perform better? I don't want the Ultra 120 eXtreme due to problems with 680i reference board compatibility. I ask because I like the mounting options for 775 on the Ninja and would like better cooling. How is the mating surface on the Ninja? I'm tired of lapping. I may build a second rig now that I am moving into a bigger house with more room and I'd put the Zalman on that one.

Have a look HERE and decide for yourself what the surface is like. It's a really good cooler, but I think it would benefit from more airflow than that of my tiny Lian Li case.

Have a look HERE and decide for yourself what the surface is like. It's a really good cooler, but I think it would benefit from more airflow than that of my tiny Lian Li case.

I remember that thread now, I even posted to it. I wonder if it would clear my 680i NB cooler. The surface looked pretty good. Was the discoloration due to some type of cleaner or something? Are you still using it? How is it performing long-term? I LOVE the retention mechanism. It makes life so much easier to remove it and replace it if need be. Do you know the difference between it and the OCZ version? I think we did a review on the OCZ, I'll have to look it up.

Well I would use it, but the Coolink Silentator is being used for laziness...because it was that fiddly to get on!

The surface was a bit smudged, but those pictures don't do the surface much justice really. It will just clear my NB cooler too :) I agree about the retention mech - it's simple and quite strong, though the Coolink is probably the strongest I've seen yet.

Well I would use it, but the Coolink Silentator is being used for laziness...because it was that fiddly to get on!

The surface was a bit smudged, but those pictures don't do the surface much justice really. It will just clear my NB cooler too :) I agree about the retention mech - it's simple and quite strong, though the Coolink is probably the strongest I've seen yet.

I haven't seen the silenator, I'll look it up.

Is anyone using the Ninja with the 680i reference board?

Edited by chavalcito

I dunno bout the Ninja but my Zalman is very quite and it cools my P4 really well and the contact surface is very shiny and you can always count on Zalman's product quality and the attention they put into every heatsink that they make, mounting will be harder to do because you have to screw the thing on to the plates and the bracket that they provide is very stiff so you will have to use some strength in order to do that but i think its better because the contact that it will make to the proc will be much tighter then the system that the ninja uses.

Silentator review HERE

by me! lol. I still maintain that with better airflow, both coolers would be better.

Duh @ me! I read that. How is the Silenator working for you? I would like to see a comparison between mine and others. I may just get the Tuniq or the Scythe Ninja and put a better fa on it. What fan does it come with? Maybe a Delta or Panaflo would be better.

@ GTL: I actually have the 9500. I think it works well, and looks awesome. I should have gotten the 9700, though. I am looking for a new one, high end, so that I can put the 9500 on a new rig just for simple stuff for my wife and son to use. I'll fold on it, of course, so I would like the 9500's extra cooling power.