Time for a new HSF

Eins7ein

I was thinking about replacing the HSF on my e6600 so I could get a better overclock out of it. I don't want to spend much more than $60 but if I could get away with less that would be better. The two that I am considering are: Tuniq Tower and Thermaltake. The only problem I have is my case. I was hoping that someone else who had a Chakra similar to mine might be able to tell me if either one of these would fit inside since the fan supposedly gets in the way of some large heatsinks. I currently have an overclock of 2.9 ghz and would like to get up to around 3.4 or better if possible with air. Any opinions welcomed. Thank you in advance for any help.

The TT Ultra 120 extreme is better than both of those heatsinks and it's only slightly more expensive. I looked up the width of your case and compared it to the U120E, the Tuniq Tower and the other TT and all 3 will fit inside your case. FYI I took the width of the case(215.9mm) and subtracted 30mm off of that to compensate for the mobo tray to side panel gap as well as standoffs and the width of the mobo itself.

Of those 3 your best bet is still the U120E just make sure to pick up a nice fan for it, too.

I was also thinking about replacing the stock n/b cooler on the 680. Probably either an HR-05 or a TT Extreme Spirit II. This may factor into the selection of a CPU cooler as they need to both be able to fit on the board and not interfere with one another.

I was also thinking about replacing the stock n/b cooler on the 680. Probably either an HR-05 or a TT Extreme Spirit II. This may factor into the selection of a CPU cooler as they need to both be able to fit on the board and not interfere with one another.

I would leave it. I have heard that the HR-05 doesn't fit quite right because of some caps or something, I could be wrong. You would also have to get a cooling solution for the southbridge if you did that. Go to the EVGA support site and read about it. I have spoken with one of their main techs and product managers who only suggests it for water cooling. His machine is overclocked like a beast! You could, however, remove the heatpipes and such and replace the thermal crap with some quality thermal paste like AS5 or Ceramique.

Yes I was thinking about also changing the s/b to an evercool. I got the idea to change the heatsinks on the chipsets as many of the threads on EVGA;s forums are suggesting doing this. I guess I could start out by replacing the gunk underneath with some ceramique and go from there. That still leaves me without a good thermal solution on the CPU. The stock cooler only goes so far. As for the Ultra 120 I think I saw some where else on these forums that there is a problem with this particular heatsink and the 680i reference mobos.

Yes I was thinking about also changing the s/b to an evercool. I got the idea to change the heatsinks on the chipsets as many of the threads on EVGA;s forums are suggesting doing this. I guess I could start out by replacing the gunk underneath with some ceramique and go from there. That still leaves me without a good thermal solution on the CPU. The stock cooler only goes so far. As for the Ultra 120 I think I saw some where else on these forums that there is a problem with this particular heatsink and the 680i reference mobos.

There is an issue with the backplate of the Ultra 120 eXtreme and any of the refernce board 680i SLIs. There are two caps on the bottom that could get damaged. Some people just put pads on them--I wouldn't. Thermalright says that there is a fix coming for it. I emailed them about it, but have not heard anything. I was thinking of getting it. The Tuniq works fine on the 680i. I know of some people using it. The fan can be replaced if you choose too.

If you decide to get the Ultra-120 Extreme, it's on sale for only $55 at Petra's Tech. ;)

I know, and the yate loon is only $7. I just don't want to have to modify or ad washers or pads. I got a response from Thermalright. They were rude. They said that they need to update their FAQs because they have no intention on modding the backplate for the 680i reference boards and are no responsible for damage caused by installing their HS. It wasn't what he said, it was how he said it.

I know, and the yate loon is only $7. I just don't want to have to modify or ad washers or pads. I got a response from Thermalright. They were rude. They said that they need to update their FAQs because they have no intention on modding the backplate for the 680i reference boards and are no responsible for damage caused by installing their HS. It wasn't what he said, it was how he said it.

Just remember, this is some lowly tech getting maybe $7 an hour to answer people's questions. :P A lot of people have been using the U120E on 680i mobos without problems. I think this is Thermalright covering their butts "just in case." So when someone tries to sue them, they can just point and laugh. I haven't seen any big "Thermalright sucks" thread anywhere and you know how people on the internet get... :rolleyes:

Just remember, this is some lowly tech getting maybe $7 an hour to answer people's questions. :P A lot of people have been using the U120E on 680i mobos without problems. I think this is Thermalright covering their butts "just in case." So when someone tries to sue them, they can just point and laugh. I haven't seen any big "Thermalright sucks" thread anywhere and you know how people on the internet get... :rolleyes:

I have never heard anything bad about them, except that they need to lap the eXtreme better.

I have never heard anything bad about them, except that they need to lap the eXtreme better.

Right. I was just saying that some schmuck will probably try to sue them because he overtightened the screws on a 680i mobo and crushed a capacitor on the back.