speeding ticket question

GuJuMaN89

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really read through any posts in here other than you were speeding...but you say "only" 10 over if you consider that speeding... well yeah because the speed limit sign doesn't say Speed Limit: 70 MPH (+/- 10MPH).

Point is, YOU were the one pulled over. Usually because you were behind the pack in the back or you made some crazy lane changes over the time or something to tip the cop off you were the inexperienced and/or dangerous driver...which if you did nothing crazy, probably saw you were the youngest and did you a favor.

Pay it, get over it.

the reason cops will usually give you 5 mph over is because they know not all speedometers are accurate. I know in my old truck it said 60 and I was really doing 54.

I have to admit, you said it yourself you were speeding. I don't think your getting out of it unless the cop doesn't show up to court. Best course of action, don't speed, or don't complain when you get a ticket.

(not entirely directed at you GujuMan)

As for the "everyone else was going faster" argument. Doesn't matter at all. If you are speeding then you are guilty regardless of what other people are/were doing. The standard for the law isn't the people around you, it's what's been written by the lawmakers. Example: during hurricanes people always loot, does that mean it's ok for you to go loot too? no, it's illegal to steal. If you got caught I doubt the cop would take the "everyone else is doing argument".

the reason cops will usually give you 5 mph over is because they know not all speedometers are accurate. I know in my old truck it said 60 and I was really doing 54.

I have to admit, you said it yourself you were speeding. I don't think your getting out of it unless the cop doesn't show up to court. Best course of action, don't speed, or don't complain when you get a ticket.

(not entirely directed at you GujuMan)

As for the "everyone else was going faster" argument. Doesn't matter at all. If you are speeding then you are guilty regardless of what other people are/were doing. The standard for the law isn't the people around you, it's what's been written by the lawmakers. Example: during hurricanes people always loot, does that mean it's ok for you to go loot too? no, it's illegal to steal. If you got caught I doubt the cop would take the "everyone else is doing argument".

:withstupid: lol...

I was thinking the same thing... Everybody here sounds like they've never done it in their lives... Maybe it's just cause I'm another one of those reckless kids on the road, but I know it is common to go down the freeway and be going nearly 90MPH and still have cars passing like nothing.

But to the OP... well... although it is common, you were the one they caught, so... Check out that site someone posted earlier, see what your options are, but I don't think fighting this is going to do much. You can hope the cop doesn't show up and that would be your way out, but if he does, then it probably won't make you look too good since you don't have any defense. Why weren't you allowed access to the laser guns calibration records?

We've all sped. Then we matured past that point. Some sooner than others. And I doubt you know how to truly handle a car at 90 MPH when something bad comes up <_<.

We've all sped. Then we matured past that point. Some sooner than others. And I doubt you know how to truly handle a car at 90 MPH when something bad comes up <_<.

:rolleyes: Glad to hear you've matured so much. And if something bad comes up at 90 or 70, there really isn't that much of a difference... heck if something bad comes up at any speed most people don't know what to do...

Maybe I just sympathize with him because I know, at least where I've been driving here in So Cal, on freeways, the norm is about 80-90, and if you're not going that fast then you're getting idiots swerving around you left and right which doesn't seem safe at all, and in fact you can get a ticket for that, obstructing the flow of traffic, so really, if the cops want to give you a ticket they'll give you a ticket <_<

On the other hand, to agree with everyone... You do have priors so you seem quite stuck and you will probably end up paying unless he doesn't show up. :blink:

Good luck and Godspeed... er... Goddon'tspeed! :lol:

I dont know your vehicle code, but you could argue with California VC 22350 (the code i fought both my tickets with)

Its called the basic speed law:

CVC22350

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

Here was my arguement showing i was in compliance with CVC 22350. But he got me on Radar, so i used the "beam spread" excuse.

On my citation the officer fails to specify the conditions of the road and the amount of traffic at the time of the stop, as well the distance the radar-determined my speed. I can attest that at the time of my stop, the road was dry and clear - with medium traffic. No persons or property were put at risk. Please see the attached photographs of the road during daylight hours as proof. One can clearly see that on this single lane street. It
Edited by p8baller07

Just drive the speed limit....Speed limits are there to make the road safe for eveyone. I have been to countless fatalities and the number one cause is speed related. Come on out to an accident with me and see what I have seen, then go notify the families that their 18 yr old kid is dead because he decided it was a smart idea to see how fast the car could go. If you were caught speeding with laser radar your pretty much done as far as guilt. The laser goes as far as I can see, so I could have you clocked before you even realize I am there. I place the laser on the front of your car and pull the trigger....done, there could be cars all around you and it would not matter, once the laser hits your car it sends your cars speed back to me. Your best bet would be to plead guilty and go to court and ask the judge to reduce the fine....Usually judges will reduce fines if you do not have a large income and you show alittle remorse for driving to fast. Your best way to get out of a ticket...SLOW DOWN!

:rolleyes: Glad to hear you've matured so much. And if something bad comes up at 90 or 70, there really isn't that much of a difference... heck if something bad comes up at any speed most people don't know what to do...

Maybe I just sympathize with him because I know, at least where I've been driving here in So Cal, on freeways, the norm is about 80-90, and if you're not going that fast then you're getting idiots swerving around you left and right which doesn't seem safe at all, and in fact you can get a ticket for that, obstructing the flow of traffic, so really, if the cops want to give you a ticket they'll give you a ticket <_<

On the other hand, to agree with everyone... You do have priors so you seem quite stuck and you will probably end up paying unless he doesn't show up. :blink:

Good luck and Godspeed... er... Goddon'tspeed! :lol:

When you're young like you or I and speeding, the speed greatly magnifies the danger. Take a look at some accidents at different speeds and what happens, like what Whitelightening said. Maybe it's because I've been through the trauma of what happens when your ego gets in the way of your brain. Rolled a van three times, the only thing that saved me was a seatbelt.

Regarding cops giving tickets for the sake of it... when it's near the end of the month, expect it. They don't have set quotas, but there's expectations, at least when my father was a cop there were.

When you wreck your first car, maybe then you'll understand. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it just may. The only thing worse than that is causing injury or fatality due to your own negligence. Good luck arguing your way out of that one.

You did traffic school 8 months ago? For a different, yet similar traffic incident I'd assume? -- Didn't read everything in this post -- If that's the case then you're only option then would be to watch you insurance go up. A judge will look at it, and go with the cop.

Edited by NotForNothing