speeding ticket question

GuJuMaN89

so do u think if i talk to the cop before court, and work out some sort of deal, that would be better?

You can't....

once the charges are filed.... they are in...

You can "deal" with the DA....but leave that to attornies.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I used to speed all the time - usually when other traffic was going faster than I was. Why? Because it felt dangerous being THAT much slower. However, I now tend to go at speed limit (70mph), because fuel efficiency is much better and going faster tends to save about 2 mins on my average journey because you inevitably get stuck behind more traffic.

Still, doing 80 here in the UK is usually common. 10% is said to be the given allowance for "older" speedo cables that may be inaccurate (apparently), but some officers will pull you for it. Generally, they look for the idiots doing 90+ in rush hour. I've gotten wise to spotting unmarked police cars though. From the back, there are many tell-tale signs, esp the equipment they are packing ;) I guess not being in a familiar area can be perilous. I've been pulled once for speeding - just once. They didn't even ask me about my speed or why I was going too fast - they were more concerned if the car was stolen!

Either way, you were caught. If you try to wriggle too much, the court will just get annoyed at "another kid trying to get off the hook", not that it is necessarily the case. You get it though. Face the music. Sounds like you're going to struggle with this one :(

If it were me...and you're going to be dragging them to court (unless it was court ordered from the ticket), I'd walk in and plead NO CONTEST to the ticket, neither admitting guilt or innocence. Then remember to apologize to the judge and the officer for this incident, and that you'll be more careful in the future. In my opinion, best course of action....

If it were me...and you're going to be dragging them to court (unless it was court ordered from the ticket), I'd walk in and plead NO CONTEST to the ticket, neither admitting guilt or innocence. Then remember to apologize to the judge and the officer for this incident, and that you'll be more careful in the future. In my opinion, best course of action....

thats what i was planning on doing, not agreeing or disagreeing with the ticket

Still, doing 80 here in the UK is usually common. 10% is said to be the given allowance for "older" speedo cables that may be inaccurate (apparently), but some officers will pull you for it. Generally, they look for the idiots doing 90+ in rush hour. I've gotten wise to spotting unmarked police cars though. From the back, there are many tell-tale signs, esp the equipment they are packing ;) I guess not being in a familiar area can be perilous. I've been pulled once for speeding - just once. They didn't even ask me about my speed or why I was going too fast - they were more concerned if the car was stolen!

Yeah, mobile cameras (i.e. police) here don't worry too much unless you're being dangerously fast... I've been going along at 90 on a motorway, and had other cars and police cars pass me, without incident :lol:

However fixed cameras here are calibrated to allow ~+-3mph methinks.

My speedo cable is rubbish, however I know that 70mph reads as 76mph on my dial :)

written decleration as in they just read ur statement in court?

i know florida doesnt have trial by decleration, but they do have a thing where if u cant make the court date, u can submit ur statement

Edited by GuJuMaN89

Usually in Palm Beach they will mostly leave you alone with 5 mph over.. I've seen people on I95 pass cops and cops don't even do anything which surprises the heck outta me lol... I thought I almost got caught yesterday for doing 140 on I95 but I always know what I'm doing and who's around me.. (was on my motorcycle)... Palm Beach county is usually really bad with the unmarked cars... We have hummers mustangs brand new yukons and you will never know unless they are tinted to the max. Saw a POS chevy caviler the other day with some undercover lady driving it that pulled someone over at the bar or some . in my local neighborhood. Those mustangs usually go around in the middle of the night when younger ones like to race, the mustang will try and rev his engine to get you to race, guess what happens next when you actually hit 60mph? Ding Ding the lights go on haha... One of my close friends is a sheriff, he lets me in on all these things, I don't race anyone I don't know, cause you will never know who's on the other side. But hey good luck with the ticket, cause you will never win the case if you got you on a laser, might as well try and do some driving course to at least lower the ticket or something.

Edited by DemonaL

Jesus seem to be a lot of saints in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing... Everybody here sounds like they've never done it in their lives... Maybe it's just cause I'm another one of those reckless kids on the road, but I know it is common to go down the freeway and be going nearly 90MPH and still have cars passing like nothing.

But to the OP... well... although it is common, you were the one they caught, so... Check out that site someone posted earlier, see what your options are, but I don't think fighting this is going to do much. You can hope the cop doesn't show up and that would be your way out, but if he does, then it probably won't make you look too good since you don't have any defense. Why weren't you allowed access to the laser guns calibration records?

thats another thing, if hes shooting from such a distance, how small is the target area and when vehicles are moving, can he sustain the stability onto my car?

ummm.... you might want to take a physics class then. it's a LASER. even at distances of 100 feet or more he only needs to tag you for a fraction of a second. 2nd the system is attached to a camera. senses you speeding and takes a snap shot. OOOPS. these things have been refined to a point where there is NO escape from them.

now for asking for mercy... i want to see this one. 1: repeat offender. 2: multiple arguments in the system. 3: young kid driving little sporty car.

i have no advice with all that going on. just bend over and grab your ankles... they're going to have thier way with you.