speeding ticket question

GuJuMaN89

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Illinois you'd have a $500 fine and your license pulled for that crap. Your license would be pulled here in Iowa too. 10 MPH over is speeding. If it were 72 or 73 I'd be more understanding, but 80 in a 70... I'd be surprised if you didn't get a ticket. Cops don't have quotas, but they have expectations ;). Even if other traffic was speeding, it doesn't mean you have to too. You may feel safer doing it, but in the end you're all at risk. Speed limits are there for a reason.

I'm not usually the kind of person to flame, but you're a moron if you think you didn't deserve that ticket.

EDIT###

BTW, LOL! @ "I wasn't speeding, I was going 10 over!"

I'm gonna hijack this topic real quick. I always thought that you were legally allowed to drive at the speed limit + or - 5MPH. I'm getting ready to get my permit here soon and that's the last thing that has been bugging me. Haven't been able to find that anywhere so I'm not sure...

I guess my question also plays a part in this topic so it isn't really hijacking...

Fight it they might just lower your ticket... theres no way you'll get out of it the most your gonna do is hire a lawyer for a lot of money... Probaly drop the charges a hair, what city you in? I'm in palm beach county...

I've seen people pulled over for 50 in a 45 and 40 in a 35. Hell, even 39 in a 35. CHeck your local driving laws.

Or... just don't speed? I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but it appears that not breaking the law results in LESS TICKETS! AMAZING!

i live in orange county winter park, but the ticket took place in marion county by ocala.

and kb, obeying the laws dont always give u less tickets, remember my red light ticket? i won that case because there was a malfunction on the traffic light, and i wasnt breaking the law

Edited by GuJuMaN89

I've seen people pulled over for 50 in a 45 and 40 in a 35. Hell, even 39 in a 35. CHeck your local driving laws.

Or... just don't speed?

It's weird here in Indiana like that. Haven't been able to find anything online or in the new book for the driving test. Guess I'll ask the energetic folks at the BMV about that when I go to get my permit.

It's weird here in Indiana like that. Haven't been able to find anything online or in the new book for the driving test. Guess I'll ask the energetic folks at the BMV about that when I go to get my permit.

Another Hoosier! woot lol.........You have to remember that every cop is different. Yes, some are going to allow you +5mph over the speed limit and some will allow more than that and then some won't allow any over. That is why obeying the law and driving the speed limit is the best idea. :P

I'm gonna hijack this topic real quick. I always thought that you were legally allowed to drive at the speed limit + or - 5MPH. I'm getting ready to get my permit here soon and that's the last thing that has been bugging me. Haven't been able to find that anywhere so I'm not sure...

There are social norms in most areas. Admittedly, around my area (all of southern MI by my observation), it's very unlikely to get a ticket on the highway for going less than 10 over. Just like if you're going 40 in a 35, you're probably OK. But it's important to understand that that's not written in stone. A cop can give you a ticket for going 51 in a 50 if he wants to, it's just not likely.

Assuming that you're OK for going 10 over on the highway is pushing it, if you ask me. You can generally get away with it because cops usually have bigger fish to fry, but that doesn't make it "legal". Furthermore (and what makes it funny to me) is that this "social norm" would NEVER hold up in court. If you looked a judge in the face and told him "I was going 80 in a 70, that's normal!"... well... I'd love to watch the response, that's all I'm saying :P

A lot of people (mostly teenagers) don't seem to understand that judges have no patience for this stuff. They look at human trash all day that will literally lie through their teeth even when what they're saying is physically impossible. They've heard it all, and then some. If you think they haven't heard "the guy in front of me was going faster" before, you're in for a rude awakening.

anyways, u guys think asking to keep it at a city ordinance and ask for probation is a good idea and not admit guilt?

Asking for that stuff IS admitting guilt. If you're not guilty, why ask for anything but dismissal? Doesn't make any sense.

Also, as I've been trying to say... I don't think you're in any position to ask for anything. You've got prior issues with traffic violations already. Just go in, admit you were speeding but that you didn't think it was 89 (or whatever), and ask for a "reduced sentence". Don't tell the judge how to do his job by detailing your own sentence. I think that's a particularly bad idea.