speeding ticket question

GuJuMaN89

2 weeks ago i recieved a speeding ticket on I-75 doing 89 in a 70. cop shot me with a laser gun, in light/moderate traffic. i didnt want to argue with the cop, so i simply asked him are u sure u got me and not the car in front of me that was pulling away faster than me, and he was like the laser gun is car specfic and such.

anways, i have 2 options, either fight it or pay it and watch the insurance skyrocket, (cant do traffic school, did it 8 months ago).

i was planning on fighting the ticket, they said im not entitled to the officers notes, and calibration records of the laser gun that was used.

i have a few ways to procede, either beg the judge to let me go with a city ordinance and put me on probation, or start contesting the ticket.

what do you guys recommend?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's pretty much just down to your word versus his. That's pretty hard to contest since he's a cop, and you're a kid. The well-accepted social stereotypes are not in your favor :)

But otherwise, it doesn't seem like you've got anything really solid to contest the ticket with. So basically, your only option in court is to either A) hope the cop doesn't show up, or B) beg for mercy. I think the cop not showing up is unlikely, but I know it's happened before. As for begging for mercy, it certainly can't hurt, but if you already snuck out of points fairly recently with traffic school, then I'm not sure how lenient the judge will be this time.

So really, going to court and just crossing your fingers and wishing for a miracle can't hurt, but I think it'll probably be pretty futile. :(

best course of action.....

SLOW DOWN.....

seriously...I have NO sympathy for speeders...

so I have to ask...Yes or No...were you speeding? If yes... deal with it and learn from the lesson....

if no, the only thing you could do to fight it would be to retain an attorney and discuss your options with a legal professional

Fight it and if you got pulled over but there were cars going to faster then you should not lose because then why didnt those people get pulled over? You can argue that they were driving more dangerously and you were just going with the flow. You can ask me for more info on beating a speeding ticket because my friends have done it and I have read about it.

the fact is, NO i was not speeding, that is why i asked hte cop are u sure he pulled the right one over. if u consider going 10mph on a interstate speeding, then yes i was speeding. i was going around 80mph, just cruising like i always do. i wasnt even in my scion tC this time, i was in my 97 corolla. there was 1 minivan, and 2 other cars going faster than me and i know that cuz they were still pulling away from me while i was doing 80.

i just do not know if the judge is going to believe me or not that is why i asked if i should just ask to keep it to a city ordinance and probation

the fact is, NO i was not speeding, that is why i asked hte cop are u sure he pulled the right one over. if u consider going 10mph on a interstate speeding, then yes i was speeding. i was going around 80mph, just cruising like i always do. i wasnt even in my scion tC this time, i was in my 97 corolla. there was 1 minivan, and 2 other cars going faster than me and i know that cuz they were still pulling away from me while i was doing 80.

i just do not know if the judge is going to believe me or not that is why i asked if i should just ask to keep it to a city ordinance and probation

:bah:

just tell the judge you were only going 80mph instead :rolleyes:

Fight it and if you got pulled over but there were cars going to faster then you should not lose because then why didnt those people get pulled over? You can argue that they were driving more dangerously and you were just going with the flow.

The problem with this logic is that people lie. If everyone told the truth all the time, your logic would be flawless, but alas, that's not the case. People lie to judges every day, all the time. So again, it comes down to you saying you weren't speeding, and the cop saying you were. We both know who's going to win that one.

To analyze further: You have a vested interest in lying to the court. The cop has no particular reason to do so. This is not working for you. Furthermore, you are a young kid. Stereotypically, young kids are irresponsible and much more reckless behind the wheel. This is also not working for you. Even further, you apparently have already dodged this bullet once before less than a year ago. Being young and already having a record of this behavior is definitely not working for you.

If the cop tells the judge he gunned you, that's what the judge will believe. You don't have to like it, but you'd be crazy not to believe it. The "Well he was going faster!" bit will get you nothing and nowhere. I think you'll have a very tough time getting out of this.

EDIT###

BTW, LOL! @ "I wasn't speeding, I was going 10 over!"

The speed limit was 70mph and you said you were going 80mph and then said you were NOT speeding? ummm ok....grow up and pay the ticket. lol :P