Sign in to follow this  
Dtaylor

Overheated Geforce 4

HI! I'm back, with a blown vid card(i think). Well, here's my story. It's really hot out here, and I left my compy running in a game for a few hours while I went elsewhere. I went back to find my Geforce4 GFX card badly overheated. Now, when I start a game it takes only a few minutes to start acting up. I could run a game 24/7 in the winter, and 4-5 hours straight in the summer at 250mhz over! Now it won't last 10 minutes without overheat @stock speeds! what did I do? I'm too broke to buy a new one...

does this card have active cooling? if so is the fan spinning?

if that is the problem then just mod a new fan over the heatsink or if its passive cooling mod a fan to the heatsink

tie wraps and rubber bands work great for ghetto mods plus they dont conduct so they are safe to use

The thing I don't get is why the heatsink cooled it fine all last summer...Can you fry thermal paste off a heatsink? I never thought of using rubber bands....Thanx for the idea!...I do have a friend who DUCT TAPED a fan into his PC...

well i have never melted any thermal paste even on my old compaq laptop that hit 115F while running full load in my truck that was setting in the sun and the windows rolled up lol

Are you sure its the vga's fault for the crashing and not something else , like ram,cpu, ect..... ?

Edited by dling

If I were you, I would run OCCT and some ORTHOS to determine the stability of your computer. Maybe its your OC acting up...let us know what you get. If its not stable set your OC back to stock then try the game out...

Sounds like it needs a fan, most of the GF4's did not have one. Like it was said here, attach one with zip ties or rubber bands.

some people just dont need a pc at all. was the card oc while you left it on the day it went down also just try resetting the heat sink and the fan with new thermal paste. have you tried to underclock the card at all and see if that works.