Calling all Ultra Xtreme and EVGA 680i owners!

Have you had any issues with clearance from the NB fan? The Thermalright website said that it may interfere with the NB cooler on the EVGA brand 680i.

Do you mean the Ultra-120 Extreme? Because there's apparently an 8800 Ultra Extreme as well. You may want to edit the title if you can (or have a mod do it).

Do you mean the Ultra-120 Extreme? Because there's apparently an 8800 Ultra Extreme as well. You may want to edit the title if you can (or have a mod do it).

Sorry, the Ultra-120 Xtreme CPU cooler.

I checked Thermalrights website and I see what you're talking about. I think that you might be able to avoid the problem by putting some sort of foam on the backplate so that it doesn't damage the caps on the back. See the red arrows in this pic:

undercpuqd5.jpg

I checked Thermalrights website and I see what you're talking about. I think that you might be able to avoid the problem by putting some sort of foam on the backplate so that it doesn't damage the caps on the back. See the red arrows in this pic:

undercpuqd5.jpg

Yep, that's it. Those are some small caps I don't want to ruin. Maybe if I upgraded, even though I keep saying I won't, I'll get the Tuniq.

Yep, that's it. Those are some small caps I don't want to ruin. Maybe if I upgraded, even though I keep saying I won't, I'll get the Tuniq.

I think anything with a backplate would have a problem on the 680i with those caps. Take a look at this thread. I'm sure there's more examples floating around the net.

I have the Tuniq Tower and the backplate has arms that usually do not hit anything. I have used it on the XFX board I reviewed without cleareance issues. The board was a reference design board as well.

I think anything with a backplate would have a problem on the 680i with those caps. Take a look at this thread. I'm sure there's more examples floating around the net.

It has no issues with the Zalman coolers. I have read a lot of cooler reviews and they have not said a word. The only place I have seen it is with the Ultra 12o Xtreme. I think it may only be a big deal with backplates that have an "x" shaped bracket.

Rubber washers on the backplate or drill two small holes where the resistors will be. I drilled a hole for the resistor that was giving me problems with my tuniq backplate. On my evga 680i I only had one large resistor and a bunch of little stuff. The littler stuff had plenty of clearence.

I never even thought to look when I installed my Zalman backplate. I had never heard of a problem with the reference board like that until I read the compatibility page on the Thermalright website.