Thought my overclock was stable or is it?

I'm not sure about memtest86+, but most bootable CDs have something like "press any key to boot from CD" when starting up. Otherwise I guess you'll just have to download a new ISO. I'm not sure why the old ISO didn't work; they've been bootable for as long as I can remember.

The only time I have ever seen boot from CD is installing Windows. My friend just burned the iso file to CD , from my understanding if involves creating a bootable iso image on to the CD. My friend did not do that, and thats why it didn't work. Yesterday I ran Memtest for 18 hours with no errors at all, this morning I have been getting lots of errors. My Ram used to post @1200MHz @5-5-5-15 @2.25v, now all that happens in bios is it locks up on me whenever I select DDR2 1200MHz. "It never has done that before."! I have tons of hours of testing @1200MHz without errors, now I'm getting errors underclocking @800MHz while I've got PC2 8500 1066MHz Ram. Time to RMA.

I agree. It definitely sounds like one or both sticks is going bad.

As for the ISO, it should already contain the boot image. You don't need to do anything besides burn it. Just make sure you download the actual ISO and not just the files. I have an old ISO of version 1.26 that contains the boot image and I just downloaded 1.7 and that has the boot image too. You can check to see if it is bootable by viewing it in IsoBuster (it = CD or image). There will be blue floppy disk image that says "Bootable Disc". IsoBuster is free BTW. And it doesn't try to install a bunch of crap or start up with Windows, so it's a good program to keep around.

Did your friend drag the ISO on to the disc and hit burn? Or did he burn from the ISO (with a program like ISO Magic, Nero, etc...)

I think he just copy/burned it to disk, other than that I've never had any experence with burners. Never had one, never burned anything in my life before.

I agree. It definitely sounds like one or both sticks is going bad.

As for the ISO, it should already contain the boot image. You don't need to do anything besides burn it. Just make sure you download the actual ISO and not just the files. I have an old ISO of version 1.26 that contains the boot image and I just downloaded 1.7 and that has the boot image too. You can check to see if it is bootable by viewing it in IsoBuster (it = CD or image). There will be blue floppy disk image that says "Bootable Disc". IsoBuster is free BTW. And it doesn't try to install a bunch of crap or start up with Windows, so it's a good program to keep around.

I just took a look and the zip file for memtest and its on the CD, it seems he just burned the zip file on the CD. My friends aren't that bright when it comes to computers. I just put my old Micron memory (PC2 4300 533MHz) in and we'll see if I get errors. Update: My Ram won't even boot at 800MHz 3-3-3-10 anymore or 1200MHz either. It does seem that 1 or 2 dimms are going bad.

Edited by Systemlord

Well even with all this the good news is you have Ballistix, when I killed one of my sticks in a manner that may or may not have involved massively excessive voltage :) they shipped a replacement in under 4 hours and I had it in just a few days (called monday around noon, recieved thursday I think). You just need to get a credit/debit card you can use to have them crossship :)

Well even with all this the good news is you have Ballistix, when I killed one of my sticks in a manner that may or may not have involved massively excessive voltage :) they shipped a replacement in under 4 hours and I had it in just a few days (called monday around noon, recieved thursday I think). You just need to get a credit/debit card you can use to have them crossship :)

I wonder which would be faster, sending them to Crucial or NewEgg. Anybody know where Crucial is located? O yeah no errors so far with my PC2 4300 533MHz Ram. I have twice the amount of programs running in the background now with this Ram during Memtest. I know I would have had at least one error by now with my Ballistix at any speed.

Anybody know where Crucial is located?

Out here in Boise, ID.

Honestly 2.25 volts is just a tad bit high for those chips. I wouldn't have sent them much over 2 volts.

Out here in Boise, ID.

Honestly 2.25 volts is just a tad bit high for those chips. I wouldn't have sent them much over 2 volts.

Crucial spec's them @2.2v. Even though in bios it shows (in the setting) 2.25v doesn't mean that you get 2.25v, what I really had them at was 2.2v. They never got hot whenever I use my PC, only when stress testing with Orthos and I used a 120mm fan on them during testing. I wish NewEgg's RMA was faster than a week, sending them in and receiving them back.

Edited by Systemlord