Six days until we loose our 23rd position

road-runner

@ chavalcito, that's what I plan to do when the GPU client for the 2900XT comes out :) 2900XT folding when I'm not gaming, and the X1950Pro in the second PCI-e slot folding full force 24/7 ;)

Can you seriously do that, have two video cards installed at once? I didn't even imagine that possible. So you will use the 2900 as your main card and the 1950 will just be installed with no monitor on it folding? Doesn't GPU folding require a CPU core also? Or, can you fold on all of your CPU cores, and on each GPU core? I'm sure I couldn't do that, as I would need to have NVIDIA and ATi drivers installed at the same time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Hyper_Threaded, I find that you can run them both simultaneously and still get more PPD than running one after the other. The GPU client on my X1950Pro was like 13s a frame when I had the Linux SMP running, on the X1950XTX it should be even faster!

I tried that once, but the GUI client didn't get enough CPU time or usage to really exercise the card. I may have to play with the settings a bit and see how it works out again.

Can you seriously do that, have two video cards installed at once? I didn't even imagine that possible. So you will use the 2900 as your main card and the 1950 will just be installed with no monitor on it folding? Doesn't GPU folding require a CPU core also? Or, can you fold on all of your CPU cores, and on each GPU core? I'm sure I couldn't do that, as I would need to have NVIDIA and ATi drivers installed at the same time.

well yea, but it lives one like 5% CPU usage, which is what I can spare anyways from the Linux SMP client (only uses 'bout 90% of the cores)

I tried that once, but the GUI client didn't get enough CPU time or usage to really exercise the card. I may have to play with the settings a bit and see how it works out again.

see above :) It worked fine for me although it was slow, of course didn't go to the full ability of the X1950Pro, but it at least put in a WU every day or two.

true, for you that could be an issue... I am not sure myself if it would work, but I might as well give it a try when the 2900XT client comes out. Alternatively, I am looking to build another rig now that I also got the mobo (finally).

true, for you that could be an issue... I am not sure myself if it would work, but I might as well give it a try when the 2900XT client comes out. Alternatively, I am looking to build another rig now that I also got the mobo (finally).

As long as you have the extra card, try it.

currently all i have is my notebook for computing needs, and i really do not feel safe doing that for thermal issues.

And i do not think its ethical for me to install folding covertly on my customers computers :ph34r: