Do I pay tax on items from another state?

road-runner

Bad roads? Ha! You fools have never been to west Michigan during the spring! :lol:

Anywho, you should only be paying sales tax if they have a warehouse, store, etc. in the state. For out-of-state purchases, they are supposed to let you/your state handle it. Technically, everybody is supposed report out-of-state purchases when filing their taxes and pay sales tax. But we all know how many people do that... :rolleyes:

You think your roads are bad, Overclocker? I live on the South-Western border of WI and IA... once you get into Prarie du Chien, you can FEEL the difference :P:lol:.

Haha true story. Been down there and they are pretty bad. What's odd is that Wisconsin takes so much in on taxes and apparently it's going somewhere... just not sure where.

Guest ecthlipsis

If the business is only in one state, thus not national, and not in your state you should not be charged sales tax. If a company has a warehouse, office, distribution center, etc. in your state, they can charge sales tax (or more accurately, have to). Apparently Wisconsin is especially bad from reading the other posts, hehe. I'd ask them how they justified charging you, though.

Here in WA, they are trying to pass laws to issue taxes on internet purchases. I really hate that the people that make the laws are paid through those same laws. Land of the free and home of the brave, at least for another few hours, maybe...

*cocks gun and prepares to eliminate congress*

Haha true story. Been down there and they are pretty bad. What's odd is that Wisconsin takes so much in on taxes and apparently it's going somewhere... just not sure where.

*cough*Cheese*cough*

Must suck to have bad roads. Pretty nice down here but I don't drive so the condition of the roads doesn't really affect me much.

I was just wondering am I supposed to be charged a Texas tax from a retailer in Wisconsin? I ordered my CPU and on the bill there charging me Texas State tax. I thought I did not have to pay tax on items from another state?

I have not read the whole post, but this is the sitch in KY. KY says that we have to pay sales tax on all applicable purchases. They have now included online purchases. Many times if you read some of the fine print (sometimes it is written right where you should see it but we don't read), it says that if you live in XX state you will be charged applicable sales tax. I have lived in CA, MD, NC, UT, KY, MT, and Puerto Rico. This is the only state that I have had to do that, and it a very recent trend. I have read reports that it is getting more popular as more and moe people shop online. The states that have sales tax are missing a lot of tax dollars because of this. It is better for the residents to pay taxes on online purchases than for the state to raise sales tax to compensate.