Antec Neopower & MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Do you have to kind of "shimmy" the pins out little by little, one pin at a time? Details, please!

The way I did mine was just to heat one pin and with the other hand gently push the cap, so you're pushing it on the heated pin side and towards the other. This slightly lifts the heated pin out of the hole. Then repeat the action on the other pin. I just did this over a couple of times until one of the legs was fully out of the hole, then you can heat the other pin and just gently pull upwards. Because the leads are short it doesn't really take long at all. I think that's what you mean by shimmy?

As much as people seem to hate the solder suckers, I seem to have had good luck with mine and the majority of the time it will remove all of the solder in the hole so the cap just falls out. I've used a vacuum cleaner once and improvised too... it worked, but it was really quite tricky and is probably not worth the effort :)

Edited by markiemrboo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to kind of "shimmy" the pins out little by little, one pin at a time? Details, please!

shimmy shimmy is the key yes lol... I figure out which caps I need to desolder, and then look to see which solder points they correspond to on the underside of the motherboard, then I hold onto the capacitor and push it to one side, in line with both legs, so that one leg is effectively being pulled away from the motherboard, then I use a 50W variable soldering iron on maximum and dab it on the solder point until the solder melts and the capacitor leg gets pulled up a bit... then I wait for the solder to cool (this is like a second) and then do the other leg, shimmy shimmy, until it's out

yeah chavalcito, action pics would have doubled the modding time I'm sure lol... I knew it was going to be an arduous mod session anyway, so I didn't take pics :P

the process is fairly straightforward and is very repetitive, shimmy shimmy, out pops the cap... I did groups of caps because I'd noted down the values beforehand so I wouldn't be looking at the board thinking "arg, what went there?" lol

the replacement process is pretty easy too, I trimmed down the legs of each cap to about 7mm and lined it up to the holes... there is a circle symbol on the motherboard for each capacitor, and the white semi-circle is the negative side which corresponds to the negative stripe on the capacitor itself... if the "holes" are totally clear you can just push the cap through and splay the legs outwards to about 45

As much as people seem to hate the solder suckers, I seem to have had good luck with mine and the majority of the time it will remove all of the solder in the hole so the cap just falls out.

I've always used solder suckers, I'm not sure why people hate them either.

Yep markie and nrg, that's exactly what I meant by "shimmy" :P

Sounds like a solder sucker would be the easiest way. Maybe I should invest in one of those someday.

I think active solder sucking heat guns are the best. You don't worry about shimmying anything. You just put the tip over the through hole solder point, count to three, and pull the trigger for a few seconds. You do that to all points and the cap just comes off. It is the same for resistors, caps, DC jacks, it doesn't matter how many contact points there are. The only downside is that you have to heat the point for the right amount of time; too little causes more work, too much burns and won't allow you to re-solder.

It's pretty easy to practise soldering really. Just grab an old bit of kit that you don't mind destroying (I'm sure everyone has old network cards or whatever lying around). Find stuff with the kind of components you want to practise on then go to town removing and reattaching them.

mini update again:

Bios: 1.C Final TCCD (1.CFT.rar) from LejaBeach

11x246=2709 MHz was passing SP2004 after 3 hours, I rebooted to change to the currently working settings, ran SP2004 again and it failed this time after a few minutes lol

11x243=2673 MHz was passing SP2004 after 15 hours, rebooted, running SP2004 again and it's still passing after 1h 24m...

Here are my currently stable settings... I'm fairly confident that these will work for me for a 48+ hour SP2004 run seeing as it's passed for over 15 hours already...

CPU

1.400v x 110%

11 x 243 = 2673

HT Multi = 4x

Ram (2x 512 G.Skill LE TCCD)

tCL = 2.5

tRCD = 4

tRP = 4

tRAS = 8

CPC = 1T

tRC = 12

tRFC = 18

tRRD = 2

tWTR = 4

Drive Strength = Weak

so obviously it's a smaller overclock than the 10 x 292 = 2920; ram 292 @ 2.5-4-3-7-1T-7-14-2-3...

but also it's a lot bigger than stock speed haha... I can live with 2.67 GHz for that machine... makes it faster than a 4000+ Orleans (512k L2, 2.6 GHz) so it's not as bad as I first thought

2.7ish is still pretty nice for a neo2. I was a big fan of mine when I first got it, but like you, that kind of fell off when I discovered the DFI nf4 boards.

Out of curiosity though, how much did you spend to recap the board?

I got 2.5 on my Neo2 with a 3200+ Winchester. It didn't stay stable there very long. I was definitely held back by my RAM and PSU. I didn't know different chips in RAM made a difference then, and my PSU got great initial revues, but then after tie it showed that the 3.3v and 12v rails really drooped. :angry: