E6600 problems?

JackT

Those guys got the pictures and info from here at XS

Well whatever the source at least the info is good.

I know a few people, but importing anything over $60 will be charged a customs fee. I'm quite sure the stores here will have them by August for me to pick from.

Can't you just have them send it to you marked as a gift worth 50 bucks. That's what I did when I sent my friend in Australia his 8800GTS because he didn't want to pay the AUD price. Everything worked out well for us.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the 6850 in Canada but its out of stock (or not there yet) link

$340 is overshooting my budget, I chose the E6600 for the price/performance. The 6750 is more reasonably priced, should I invest in that?

Can't you just have them send it to you marked as a gift worth 50 bucks. That's what I did when I sent my friend in Australia his 8800GTS because he didn't want to pay the AUD price. Everything worked out well for us.

Oh right, I forget about that. I'll try to ask my friend about it, but Canadian retailers should have stock by the time I pick up the processor.

Edited by JackT

I've been saving up for a new computer for a while now and I am in the process of doing research of my components.

Reading Wikipedia (it's not always a good source of valid information), I've stumbled upon this:

I haven't been able to replicate this information through any search engine and the source quoted from Wikipedia is from Anandtech and doesn't say much.

Now, I have decided that I am not going to be overclocking until the computer is "slow" enough to merit an overclock (I am basically trying to future proof myself). I am positive that I will never reach beyond 3.0GHz anyway with a simple Scythe Ninja or similar cooler.

Should I still keep my eyes open for a processor produced before 1/1/07 or should I not waste my time?

funny that I found this. That wikipedia article you quote is written entirely by me actually, lol. It is true the L640 batches on are pretty much junk. I've had 3 processors after that batch to test them, and none of them will cooperate. I now have a Costa Rica 3718A batch... I haven't opened the box yet, and I've been researching it before I break the seal and officially own it. It appears the new costa rica E6600's are OC'ing higher.. but I'm still not convinced.

funny that I found this. That wikipedia article you quote is written entirely by me actually, lol. It is true the L640 batches on are pretty much junk. I've had 3 processors after that batch to test them, and none of them will cooperate. I now have a Costa Rica 3718A batch... I haven't opened the box yet, and I've been researching it before I break the seal and officially own it. It appears the new costa rica E6600's are OC'ing higher.. but I'm still not convinced.

Wow its funny you say that actually. Ive got the same CPU and I cannot find a thing on it either. I was going to comment before I read your post that my CPU is new and its overclocking pretty nicely. Im at 3.3ghz 1.35v right now (I havent stress tested) but 3.2ghz 1.35v was stable 5 hours ORTHOS (I stopped it at 5 to move on to higher clocks). IMO its nothing special but it beats what Ive heard about from the newer conroes. Its running very cool with my tuniq tower (40C load). Someone with more talent should have better luck than I do.

img0998tr1.jpg

Edit* It failed a little after an hour on Orthos @ 3.3ghz on 1.35v. Ill tweak it later.

Edited by SMeeD

<owner of a bad ocing E6600

1.5265 Vcore needed for 3.303 Ghz SMP Folding Stability.

I think I have one of those chips. I had my overclock stable @3.2GHz with 1.5v. I tried 3.3, but it wouldn't boot to windows, even though I increased the voltage to 1.55.

When did you guys buy your E6600s? What stepping are they?