E6600 problems?

JackT

I've been saving up for a new computer for a while now and I am in the process of doing research of my components.

Reading Wikipedia (it's not always a good source of valid information), I've stumbled upon this:

Unfortunately, the latest changes to the E6600 processor manufacturing process (regarded as the most popular and affordable Conroe processor for overclocking) have proven to cripple these high overclocks. The latest L640 batches (produced in the new Malaysia plant 1/1/07 to present) tend to require more voltage than previous chips, and run hotter. These latest batches have had difficulty obtaining stability above 3.2GHz at nominal voltages.
I haven't been able to replicate this information through any search engine and the source quoted from Wikipedia is from Anandtech and doesn't say much.

Now, I have decided that I am not going to be overclocking until the computer is "slow" enough to merit an overclock (I am basically trying to future proof myself). I am positive that I will never reach beyond 3.0GHz anyway with a simple Scythe Ninja or similar cooler.

Should I still keep my eyes open for a processor produced before 1/1/07 or should I not waste my time?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just wait until later in July for the new G0 stepping. From what I've read that stepping is supposed to be better at overclocking than all the new vcore hungry C2D's. These guys got the G0 stepping e6850 to 4GHz(1.57v) on air with a Tuniq Tower although it was running pretty toasty at 69c. I suggest you wait a while for the new chips and then make a decision.

Ive heard the same thing as well.

I just bought a C2D and I cant find much at all on my stepping but from what Ive seen it doesnt look too promising. My chip was made in Costa Rica though. Ill have to OC it anyways and find out.

I've been saving up for a new computer for a while now and I am in the process of doing research of my components.

Reading Wikipedia (it's not always a good source of valid information), I've stumbled upon this:

I haven't been able to replicate this information through any search engine and the source quoted from Wikipedia is from Anandtech and doesn't say much.

Now, I have decided that I am not going to be overclocking until the computer is "slow" enough to merit an overclock (I am basically trying to future proof myself). I am positive that I will never reach beyond 3.0GHz anyway with a simple Scythe Ninja or similar cooler.

Should I still keep my eyes open for a processor produced before 1/1/07 or should I not waste my time?

It is true from what I have read in different places that the newer CPUs are requiring more voltage to OC than older ones. Some are having to run 1.6 volts and can not get over 3.2Ghz. Its like rolling dice you never know what you are going to get. On the other hand I have a E6600 the one in my sig that will do 3825 on 1.55 volts. It will do 3.2Ghz on stock volts (1.350) Mine is a L630F104 pack date 02/20/07. I bought mine from Tank Guys which are out right now of the E6600s. You can pre order some of the new G0 stepping CPUs that are coming out soon though that are supposed to OC decent so I read. They try to uselessly try keep a good batch number that will OC decent.

You could just wait until later in July for the new G0 stepping. From what I've read that stepping is supposed to be better at overclocking than all the new vcore hungry C2D's. These guys got the G0 stepping e6850 to 4GHz(1.57v) on air with a Tuniq Tower although it was running pretty toasty at 69c. I suggest you wait a while for the new chips and then make a decision.

Those guys got the pictures and info from here at XS

I'll be picking up the components in mid-August, so there's plenty of time to see the results. Any idea how prices of the 6x50's compare to the price now?

Also, since the FSB is 333MHz, should I look into DDR2-667 instead of DDR2-800 so processor and RAM run in sync?

I'll be picking up the components in mid-August, so there's plenty of time to see the results. Any idea how prices of the 6x50's compare to the price now?

Also, since the FSB is 333MHz, should I look into DDR2-667 instead of DDR2-800 so processor and RAM run in sync?

Don't get the slower RAM; you can always change the divider to make it work. I would also suggest taking the advice of RR and setting aside a chip with the new stepping from TankGuys.

@RR, what is the temp and vot monitoring app they used in those screen shots at XS, do you know? Maybe a utlilty that came with the board?

Don't get the slower RAM; you can always change the divider to make it work. I would also suggest taking the advice of RR and setting aside a chip with the new stepping from TankGuys.

@RR, what is the temp and vot monitoring app they used in those screen shots at XS, do you know? Maybe a utlilty that came with the board?

Yea I think is Asus utility...

Unfortunately I live in Canada and I don't want to pay customs fees.

Edited by JackT

Know anyone in the US that will buy it and send it to you?

I know a few people, but importing anything over $60 will be charged a customs fee. I'm quite sure the stores here will have them by August for me to pick from.