11C reduction in temps

I always wondered why my cpu temps were higher than what i thought they should be. Now i know. I went and lapped the IHS and found out what a spoon i had for an IHS. Just a few pics of the start middle and finish. I'm not worried about a mirror finish just being flat and at least a 600 grit finish both of which i now have. Anything beyond that and the gains for the work really are not worth it IMHO! THe total average drop in cpu temp was 11c with the vcore at 1.40 now i load at 37 to 39c instead of 49 to 51c. Just a few pics here. Enjoy

spoon.jpg

spoon_2.jpg

spoon3.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow that was pretty uneven! It seems like a lot of the C2D chips are concave. Mine looks pretty flat but after seeing how uneven that was it makes me wonder.

Awesome! I have had a couple of threads talking about this lately. I am getting ready to lap my IHS and my HSF. :ph34r: I may do them this weekend, got any advice before I start.

Also, have you been able to test your overclock with lower voltages yet?

I figure I won't mess with my voltages until after the Forum Wars. Then I'll see if the lapping also helped lower power needs.

Good job, though. Have you lapped your HSF? What method did you use when you lapped it?

Guest ajmatson

Wow I didn't realize there is that much of a difference with lapping. I need to do it to mine now.

nice work ccokeman... :) that's a good improvement in temps

maybe chavalcito will lap his IHS sometime this year! :lol:

I said this weekend, GOSH! I also posted another reponse to you in my RAID poll. I'm just nervous, ok. :huh:

I still have a question, though, and ccokeman can chime in on this as he just did it. Do you use the first coarse grit paper until the nickle plating is gone and then move on? I just don't know how far to go with each grit.