11C reduction in temps

Your hand/fingers would be a good start :)

And bend dozens of pins with one false move. I'd highly advise a piece of foam, preferably one that came with your CPU.

With LGA 775 chips, you don't need to worry about it as there are no pins.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And bend dozens of pins with one false move. I'd highly advise a piece of foam, preferably one that came with your CPU.

With LGA 775 chips, you don't need to worry about it as there are no pins.

LGA 775 doesn't have pins, does it?

I'm starting to see a trend with this C2D-lapping though. If I had one, I'd have done it a long time ago. It seems to be a very beneficial "mod". Grats on the 11c ccokeman, that's a wicked gain for a lapping.

And bend dozens of pins with one false move.

If you're not capable of holding a cpu without bending the pins, you shouldn't be anywhere near tools or other modding equipment. <_<

Nah. Back in the day there was a little metal plate on the core. You can even find that today on some NB/SB chips like my SiS one. Here's a perfect little picture showing the Ti4200 core.

corevr5.jpg

Exactly!

The black edge on mine was raised up so my heatsink didn't fit correctly. I lapped it down to the copper and got an incredible OC out of it.

If you're not capable of holding a cpu without bending the pins, you shouldn't be anywhere near tools or other modding equipment. <_<

It's just a precaution, I have bent pins before. When you bend even just 10 pins, it's a HUGE PITA to bend back. This gets even worse if one snaps and might even kill your chip... I'd rather be safe than sorry, I'm sure you would too...

Verran: Nope, the pins are on the socket itself. Their are just gold contact points on the CPU, however, the resistors/components still stick out and it is possible to break/snap one of those if you're not careful.

Edited by The Unforgivin

I am planning on putting the black protective piece that comes on it in the box back on while I'm lapping. Almost all of the threads I have read on the intarweb have said that they did that on C2D and Pent D chips. I have made sure to read a lot of posts before I do this, believe me.

I am planning on putting the black protective piece that comes on it in the box back on while I'm lapping. Almost all of the threads I have read on the intarweb have said that they did that on C2D and Pent D chips. I have made sure to read a lot of posts before I do this, believe me.

I used some magic tape( AKA Blue masking tape) to tape off the IHS and used a foam block to keep my hands from tearing off a cap on the back side of the processor. I just wraped all of it up and when i was done blew it off with canned air. Oh by the way this was done dry to keep moisture away from my cpu. Forgot that little tidbit.

I used some magic tape( AKA Blue masking tape) to tape off the IHS and used a foam block to keep my hands from tearing off a cap on the back side of the processor. I just wraped all of it up and when i was done blew it off with canned air. Oh by the way this was done dry to keep moisture away from my cpu. Forgot that little tidbit.

Slightly wet would be better, you'd have less chance of metal dust getting into the cpu.

Slightly wet would be better, you'd have less chance of metal dust getting into the cpu.

Don't you take the same chance of getting liquid in those parts?

Has anyone else gone dry? It's not like I am going for a mirror finish, just flat.

@ccokeman, what grits did you use in total?

Has anyone else gone dry? It's not like I am going for a mirror finish, just flat.

@ccokeman, what grits did you use in total?

If you use some spray lubricant on the sheet, then remove any excess with some paper towel, then there should be no problem... :)

I used 400 to 1000 to get mine flat... then 1500 and 2000 to get a perfect finish. I prefer silicone lubricant, some people say it isn't any good, but works great for me.

That's why I said a little water. :lol:

I used this method on my old Venice 3000+.