C2D 6320 + ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA

Hi guys,

Im new here and just as new to overclocking. Im running a C2D 6320 with a bus speed of 300 at the mo. seems to run quite stable but any higher and the system freezes at startup bios info screen (cpu speed ram etc). Im using an ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard which is crap i know but i wanna get everything i can out of the system as i need to keep agp because i only bought a new g card for my old system a couple of months agp (x1950 pro).

Anywho everywhere on the web there is stuff about the ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA not going much over 280-300. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as this mbaord doesnt allow you to to change the voltages. Although lots of people on the web say they cant get the bus speed higher than what i already have, i have noticed that when it boots (on a higher setting) there is no power to the keyboard or mouse, is that just because it is about to freeze or because im running a 350w psu?

I have looked through the forums already for ideas cant figure it out, any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Guest ecthlipsis

The 350w PSU shouldn't be the problem, but it certainly isn't a beefy PSU. I'd definitely get a new one when you can. You really didn't give us much info to go off of, though.

You said you can't change voltage? You sure? Never heard of a mobo that doesn't let you adjust voltages.

What is the voltage currently set to? What is your memory divider at? What ram do you have? What are your timings set to?

If you can't change the voltages you won't be able to get a serious overclock, plain and simple.

The 350w PSU shouldn't be the problem, but it certainly isn't a beefy PSU. I'd definitely get a new one when you can. You really didn't give us much info to go off of, though.

You said you can't change voltage? You sure? Never heard of a mobo that doesn't let you adjust voltages.

What is the voltage currently set to? What is your memory divider at? What ram do you have? What are your timings set to?

If you can't change the voltages you won't be able to get a serious overclock, plain and simple.

I've been thinking about upgrading my psu for years but everytime i try to overload it it doesn't happen :P Four case fans with flashy lights, another lighting thing, x1950 takes 2/4 four pin connectors. hdd plus dvd writer, temp sensors, and the psu is modded so see through and a flashy fan as well. Plus i use my pc to charge my satnav and my phone. So imight if it dies on me but it looks cool :P

Lets see, voltage is currently at 1.328, definately cant change it in the bios, ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA all over google for not being able too :( unless you like using a soldering iron. Do any overclocking programs allow a change in the voltages or should i just give up that idea? Oh yeah, stock cooler for the mo but will upgrade if neccy but I know the 6320 can run up to 2.8g on stock cooler and i prob cant touch that with this mboard anyway.

Using Kingston 667 1gb ram bus at 333 in bios but cpu-z says frequency is 225.0, cpu-z says that fsb:dram is 4:3, i take it thats the memory divider and why it runs at 225? Timings back to 3 3 3 9, had it at 5 5 5 15 but no difference, maybe needed to change the divider for that to take effect? There is a voltage setting for the ram in the bios tho. Memory is something i dont quite yet understand but will give it a go. I guess for it to run better fsb:dram should be 4:4 not 4:3? I guess that would make my timings 4.5 4 4 13? This sorta makes sense so if thats just rubbish then i guess i doesnt :S