Sign in to follow this  
EM3Bilko

Switchboard

Wow, I've just gotten into this on the tail end it seems, but nice work! I love seeing custom cases like that.

Thanks Crow47 for your comment. Glad to hear that you like my custom case. I prefer my computers to look like anything but a computer. I have another computer that I made from a Casio cash register. It's called Cash Box. You can Google it and it will come up if you want to see it. Happy Modding to ya.

I have made a template of the 7" screen and have it mounted to the front of Switchboard and I'm wanting opinions about how it looks to everyone. So please pipe in your opinion, be it up, down or to the side left and right. So the sooner I get some opinions the quicker I can get to this.

159fs598919_th.jpg

Happy Modding to ya.

Yesterday I ended with the screen removed from the upper section of the DVD player. Today I'm going to tell you about getting the rest out of the unit. The first thing was to remove the screws from the bottom of the unit. These screws don't have the rubber plugs over the screws, so it's the plain and simple unscrew the screws.

159fs407893_th.jpg

159fs407951_th.jpg

With the bottom off you see the pcb. To remove the pcb you must locate and remove all of the screws.

159fs408155_th.jpg

When you have all of the screws out and lift up the pcb, there are 3 sets of wires attached to the pcb. One is a golden color flat type cable and the other 2 are the simple wire and plug type. Unplug the 2 wire and plug connection and the golden flat cable just grab it and pull, it will come out and since it's part of the drive assembly I didn't worry about it needing to go back in.

159fs40845_th.jpg

159fs408244_th.jpg

Now comes the hard part. The removal of the hinge plate, because the wires go through the hinge.

159fs40833_th.jpg

Remove all of the screws that are in the area of the hinge plate. Once you have all of the screws removed then all of the pcb pieces will come free of the plastic housing. The reason that I said that this was the hard part was because one screw would not come out. I broke the tip of the screw driver on it. I finally just grabbed it with a pair of pliers and broke it out. Then all of the pcb pieces all came out of the plastic housings.

159fs409115_th.jpg

159fs409036_th.jpg

159fs408951_th.jpg

Now all that is left to do is to get all of the wires out of the hinge assembly. I will get to that on the next update. It will be a short update because there isn't much to do about it but still it will be on the next update, so until then all ideas and comments are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.

This thing looks incredible so far dude!!

Keep up the good work!! ;)

Thank you Andrewr05 for your comment. I was trying to make a case that was one of a kind and I think I did it. I had a memory pop up one day about my childhood which was that I would get to go to work with my mother on the grave yard shift. She was the phone operator at a local hospital and she sat at a very large box that was similar to Switchboard. This was around 1958-59. Somewhere around that date, +- a year or two. Now she lives with me and she has gotten a kick out of watching me build this thing. Happy Modding to ya.

lol, just realized you must be the oldest member on OCC :lol:

Could be, I'm 56 and my wife is older than I am. I always did like the older women. Happy Modding to ya.

Thank you Andrewr05 for your comment. I was trying to make a case that was one of a kind and I think I did it. I had a memory pop up one day about my childhood which was that I would get to go to work with my mother on the grave yard shift. She was the phone operator at a local hospital and she sat at a very large box that was similar to Switchboard. This was around 1958-59. Somewhere around that date, +- a year or two. Now she lives with me and she has gotten a kick out of watching me build this thing. Happy Modding to ya.

Your Welcome

I always like it when people make such creative mods and actually have a memory that goes along with it.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of mods that look good where someone just mods an existing case, but the ones that are custom built or fabricated into something are the ones that I like best.

Your Welcome

I always like it when people make such creative mods and actually have a memory that goes along with it.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of mods that look good where someone just mods an existing case, but the ones that are custom built or fabricated into something are the ones that I like best.

That's the same way I feel. I like the out of the ordinary housing. As far as I'm concern, most anybody can modify a standard computer case. I want to see the one that doesn't look like a computer case. I have also modified a Casio cash register and put a computer into it. It's called Cash Box and it's a featured rig over at Modders-Inc.com. That was my first mod that I ever did. Thanks for your comments and Happy Modding to ya.

^^ do like thrasher did and put a link in your sig or upload the work log to OCC :)

I'll upload it to here later, I have a Dr. appointment and also have to do some driving for my mother because she broke her ankle on the 4th of July. She's suppose to be celebrating independence and here she's dependent on me at the moment. Happy Modding to ya.

Since I got up at 8:30am I have only done one thing which is the building of the bezel for the 7" screen. I started on it yesterday and here it is 1:50pm and I finally have it together. It is only 3 pieces total and it has taken everything out of me. Part of the problem is the use of my hands which was checked out yesterday at the Dr. appointment. She is going to get me setup with a Orthopedic surgeon. My neck has had 4 surgeries and she thinks that it is causing most of my problems again. It pisses me off when my thumb and the first 2 fingers quit working. That is why this bezel is taking so long. So here are the 2 photos of the bezel so far.

160fs182962_th.jpg

160fs182873_th.jpg

Now to let it dry throughly. Then I'll start cutting the opening out for the screen. Until then all ideas and comments are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.