Sign in to follow this  
EM3Bilko

Switchboard

Well, yesterday I started getting things ready for the new equipment that will be going in next week once it gets here. For starters I needed to get the power supply changed out and the Antec 850 is a lot heavier than the 500 that was in it. I also found out that the 850 is larger in size than the 500. This was a problem because it won't fit where the 500 was. So now I had to relocate the power supply and the means of mounting. Here are a few photos of the new setup that I have come up with.

14266150_th.jpg

That photo is of the cage that will be holding the power supply up against the wall of Switchboard. Here is a photo of the power supply for ya.

14266155_th.jpg

14266157_th.jpg

I still need to cut and bend the mounting bands that will be used to hold this setup against the wall. Here is the material that I will be using. As you know this is what I have available around the house.

14266154_th.jpg

I will be getting the cutting and bending done today and then hopefully it will warm up enough to get it painted. This will be mounting the power supply where the HDD's were and now I have to relocate the HDD's somewhere. lol It's a never ending story here. So until I get this finished and find a place to put the HDD's, remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

Yesterday my order was shipped out to me. It is posted to be delivered on my birthday the 28th. Hotdog! That will be a total of 7 days before it gets here to me but that's what I thought it would be. So during that week I have to get Switchboard ready for the new stuff which means that the 850watt power supply has to ready and waiting. Today I got the mounting straps cut out and mounted to the cage. To mount the straps to the cage I drilled matching holes and put a nut and bolt though the straps and cage and then hammered them together. This way they won't be coming apart any time soon. So with that bit of information and the upcoming photos will be the update for today. It's the wife's day off and she and I are going out for a little while today. So here are the photos which will mean the end of the update.

14269725_th.jpg

14269731_th.jpg

14269746_th.jpg

So until the next update remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

That PSU looks nice, but why was the 500W not enough?

The 850 has 4 rails on it and the 500 has only 1 and I'll be putting in a Gigabyte M570SLI-S4 mobo for my dual 6800XT's running SLI and down the road my plans are to run some 8800's which will require a lot more than what the 500 can do for me. It's basically trying to make sure that Switchboard has enough power to handle upgrades for the future. The new mobo will be here on the 28th along with a new 2.4 processor and 2 gigs of DDR2 800 to go along with my Fatal1ty Extreme X-Fi sound card and 18xDual Layer DVD burner with Lightscribe. Happy Modding to ya.

Today's update is the painting of the bracket that I showed you yesterday. This morning I put primer on the bracket and when it dried I painted it black. Here is a photo of it black.

14283917_th.jpg

14283921_th.jpg

14283923_th.jpg

Once it dried completely with the aid of a hair dryer, it was mounted to the side wall of Switchboard. It went onto the area of where the HDD's were. Now that the power supply has taken up that area I now have to find a place to put the HDD's. lol Lot's of fun modding computer's. Here is a photo of the power supply mounted in place.

14283929_th.jpg

14283928_th.jpg

To help protect the power supply from being scratched up from the bolts that I used to hold the brackets together I put in foam rubber. I also had to make sure that the foam rubber was cut so that it didn't cover the ventilation areas of the power supply. Here are some photos of how I did that.

14283929_th.jpg

14283939_th.jpg

14283925_th.jpg

Now that I have the power supply in place I will have to figure out away to get the exhaust out the door later. Until then here is how it is fitting to the door and the whole bottom are of Switchboard.

14283932_th.jpg

14283935_th.jpg

14283937_th.jpg

My last photo is a shot to show you the cable ends that are not removable from the power supply. The rest of the cables are modular. With this next photo it shows why I'm using this power supply due to the new mobo's and graphic cards that are coming out that require these new pin configurations.

14283930_th.jpg

So with this new power supply I feel that I should be able to put in just about anything that I have a mind and money to do so. So all ideas and comments are welcomed. Also Happy Modding to ya.

Today's update is to show you the new location of the HDD cage. I lost the HDD location when I installed the new power supply because it went in the area were the HDD cage was. When the HDD cage was on the side wall I had a fan mounted in front of the cage to help keep the HDD's cool with the flow of the inside air. I want to keep the HDD's as close to flowing air as possible. The most logical area for keeping the HDD's cool is the intake area on the bottom of the case. So that is what I've done. To get the HDD cage above the fans I used a small section of a 2x4. The thickness of the 2x4 puts the cage above the fans. While I had the cage in hand I decided to paint it while I was painting the 2x4 and it will also go better with the new power supply bracket that I painted. Here are a couple of photos to show you a few different angles of how the HDD's will be placed. The HDD's will fit into the cage sideways with the ends over the intake fans.

14295311_th.jpg

14295316_th.jpg

14295313_th.jpg

So there you have it. Now I feel that my HDD's will stay fairly cool while in operation and at the same time they will be easy to access to make changes or add to the situation what ever the case may be. So all comments and ideas are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.

I have posted a photo of the front panel and so you should know what my Kama Temp Probe is. So today I have taken a photo to show you how I'm getting the temperature of my water. I wrapped the temp probe around one of the water tubing and taped it on so that it wouldn't unwrap from the tubing. Here is a photo to show you how I did it.

14301742_th.jpg

I'm sure that it's not a absolute temp but it should be fairly close to being correct. Anyway it's the closest that I can get with what I have available. So any and all ideas and comments are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.

That PSU looks ace man ;)

Thanks kingdingeling, I got that from a drawing on a website and I'm loving it. It's modular which is a blessing when it comes to wire management. This is a Antec True Power Quattro 850 Watt Power Supply. It weights in close to 10lbs that's why I built the bracket like I did to make sure it stayed where I put it. lol Thursday my new parts for Switchboard will be here and that's when I'll start working on getting Switchboard back into service. I do have one problem and that is my MCW5000 Swiftech water block doesn't have a kit for my new AM2 board. Right now it's setup for a socket 939 and I have a kit for a socket 462 but since the unit is discontinued they don't have a kit for the AM2. I'm hoping that I can change the setup so that I can get it to work on this Gigabyte M570SLI-S4 that will be here Thursday. Do you have any ideas about that? Happy Modding to ya.

Do you mean a new waterblock? If so, the D-Tek FuZion is a very popular choice at the moment, however don't ask me about WCing :lol: I'm a noob at that, never had a WC ;)

Do you mean a new waterblock? If so, the D-Tek FuZion is a very popular choice at the moment, however don't ask me about WCing :lol: I'm a noob at that, never had a WC ;)

I'm wondering if I can modify the waterblock that I have to make it work on the new AM2 mobo. I'll check on the D-Tek FuZion and see if it's affordable for me. Happy Modding to ya.

Yea, that would been my second take on what you said ;) You're skilled in modding though, so you should be able to come up with some sort of custom mounting bracket I'm sure :)