Switchboard

Just a short update. Today the CrystalFontz LCD screen arrived. Here are a couple of photos to show you what it looks like and what type of cable of connecting to the PC.

13601622_th.jpg

13601619_th.jpg

13601626_th.jpg

I've worked hard today on the bezel for this screen. After getting all the holes drilled and all the openings file to size I then needed to attach the bezel to the screen. The screen has holes on all four corners and are isolated from the circuitry of the screen. To mount the screen to the bezel I used four short motherboard standoffs. I had to enlarge the corner holes and then used a tap to thread the holes for the standoffs. Once I had the holes tapped then all I had to do was screw the standoffs into the four corner holes. Here is a photo showing the standoffs.

13602093_th.jpg

13602095_th.jpg

Here is a photo of the bezel after I had finished with the filing and drilling. Also have removed the paper guide that I went by. Also a photo with the screen installed into the bezel.

13601638_th.jpg

13602136_th.jpg

I still have some small things to do such as removing the protective cover off of the screen and to make the mounts to the front panel of Switchboard so that it will stay in place. Once I finish with the small items then I can install the drivers onto this machine so that I can test the unit out before I install it into Switchboard. So until the next update remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a short note to show you how the CrystalFontz LCD looks when hooked up to a computer for the first time. I'm still working on the software part of it but at least I have it working. Here is the photo that I wanted to show you. I only have the one and that's it for the posting.

13606481_th.jpg

So there you have it. This is hooked up on my gaming machine and once I get Switchboard ready for it I'll take some photos then to show you. So until the next posting remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a short update. This is because I wasn't impressed with the plastic bezel that I made for the LCD addition. I was having trouble with finding a way to mount the bezel into Switchboard. What I ended up doing was finding a different bezel. I found the perfect bezel in my junk drawer. It's already the correct color and it's made of steel. So I printed up another copies of the bezel and applied double-face tape to the back of the guide and then removed the tape cover and stuck it to the bezel. I had to buy some more double-face tape and this time I used a vellum type of tape which is removable, I got it in the craft section at Wal-Mart, which is great since I had to remove it several times before I got it centered the way I wanted it. So here are some photos of the new bezel and a couple with it installed in Switchboard.

13705549_th.jpg

13705544_th.jpg

13705538_th.jpg

13705534_th.jpg

13705528_th.jpg

13705522_th.jpg

13707683_th.jpg

So there you have it for the moment. I know it's not much but I just haven't felt good lately and with all of these Dr. appointment, they all cut into my time, just like the wife does. Tomorrow is her Birthday and so I thought I better get this done today because I won't be able to tomorrow. lol Remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed and also Happy Modding to ya.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile since my last update but at least I have a small one for ya. I've been thinking about the automatic fan controller that was located on the bottom left side of the front panel. It just wasn't what I thought should be used for controlling the fans on my radiators. It either turn the fans on or off and it was based on the temperature setting that I could dial in. Being the fans are on my radiators I didn't think it would be a wise idea to have my fans off at any time and so I replaced the auto controller with a manual fan controller. The fan controller that I have is for a 3.5" drive bay and the auto was for a 5.25" drive bay so I had to put the controller into a drive bay adapter. The adapter still needs to be painted and the controller also but that will have to be later during the year due to the temps are just to cold around here to do any painting of any kind. I would be hung by the neck if I did any painting inside the house. So here are a couple of photos to show you the fan controller and how it's going to be setup.

13992781_th.jpg

13992772_th.jpg

At this time the lights in the controller are red to match the color of the controller. When I purchased the controller they were blue and later I'll replace the LEDs with green to go with the green CCFLs that are going inside and the green LED 120mm fan. I also have received a used piece of plexy that is large enough to make 2 windows in the rear door. That will be something that I might get to this summer. So there you have my update with the controller and some ideas of plans for later. So remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.

Just a short note to let you know that Switchboard is going to be taken apart again. This time the setup that I'm using is giving me problems when it is connected to the router with the other computers in the house. It doesn't want to play nice with the rest of us. So right now I using my gaming machine to post this report and it's not giving me any problems with the rest of the house computers. So everything is coming out and I'll replace it with the workings of my gaming machine. Then Switchboard will be my gaming machine and everything else that I want it to do. All questions and ideas are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

Well I told you yesterday that I was going to change things around on Switchboard again and this update is just that. First thing that happened today was getting the motherboard changed over and that's when a major problem arose. Due to different mobos means different locations for plug-ins. So that's where the problems arose. With the different locations for the plug-ins for the IDE DVD burner was my main problem because my cables wouldn't reach so I had to move my burner which means I had to move my Aquabay. So I have a photo for you to show the change of the front panel. So here is the one and only photo that I have for ya.

14120841_th.jpg

Now that I have the fan controller out I'll work on getting the red LEDs changed over to green LEDs and maybe the weather will hold long enough for me to get the bezel of it painted black to go with the rest of the bezels that are sitting along side of it. So keep your fingers crossed for the weather to hold for me. Remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed and Happy Modding to ya.

I have a short update for you. Today's temperatures were warm enough for me to do the painting that I needed to get those bezel's painted so that they aren't in contrast to the rest of the equipment installed on the front panel like it was. I still don't have Switchboard up and running yet but I do have the bezel's and the fan controller put together and installed into Switchboard. So here is the end of the update and it will be a few photos of the fan controller installed. Hope you like it as well as I do.

14160936_th.jpg

14160937_th.jpg

14160938_th.jpg

So there you have it and now it's time for me to start getting the rest of it together so that I can put Switchboard back into service for me. So until the next update remember that all ideas and comments are welcomed also Happy Modding to ya.

Today's update is that everything was pulled out of Switchboard today and was replaced with a socket A setup. Here is the specs of what went into Switchboard today.

Motherboard-Epox 8RDA3+

Processor-AMD 2800XP Barton Core

Memory-OCZ 2x512mb

HDD-Maxtor 20gig PATA, WD 30gig PATA, Seagate 160gig SATA

Capture Card-KWorld HD with Remote

Sound-onboard

Extra PCI card with 2 Firewire and 3 USB 2.0

Running WindowsXP Pro. sp2

DVD Burner-Samsung 18X Dual Layer

Fan Controller-4 fans

Memory Card Reader-12in1

CrystalFontz LCD screen

Temperature LCD screen

Aquabay M1 liquid lever and flow indicator

Cooled by a homemade water cooling system which has a single 120mm radiator and fan, Swiftech cpu water block, tribaloverkill reservoir, 295gph pond pump, and 3/8" tubing.

Okay, that is what Switchboard has in it and it's all working with no problems. My temps at this time is 35C. The temperature probe is wrapped around the water tubing and taped in place and it's showing that the tubing temps are 76.3F. So far that is all of the temps that I have at the moment. Here are a few photos showing what it looks like turned on.

14181657_th.jpg

14181658_th.jpg

Well, there you have it. Switchboard is up and running and running well. It's not much of a gaming machine like I had wanted when I put my gaming machine in but it wasn't working right when I put it in and it still isn't. I'll be checking it out later so until then I'm happy with what I have right now. So there you have it, it's up and running and it's running good at this time. The temps have been steady at 35C at least. So remember all ideas and comments are welcomed. Happy Modding to ya.

I'm now using the setup in Switchboard to make this posting. I've worked hard all day to get the Biostar mobo with the Opteron processor back into service. It's using my GeForce 7600GS that I got from TD. So I'm happy now that it's up and running. Happy Modding to ya.

Well folks, I posted to soon. I got up to a frozen pc this morning. So I'll have to go back to my standby which is the Epox with the 2800XP until I can get another mobo for Switchboard. So until then Switchboard is going down and won't be coming up again until I have a setup that I can depend upon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It was a real bummer for me this early of a morning. Happy Modding to ya.