Problem overclocking E6600 CPU & PCIE frequency - SATA devices los

Its probably because of the on board graphics is why that board does not overclock very well. I had a Gigabyte 965G DS3 that would not overclock worth a darn for the same reason. I turned around and bought another Gigabyte without the onboard graphics and it overclocked. Its something to do with the chipset design or you just did not get a good OCing chip.

Edited by road-runner

Its probably because of the on board graphics is why that board does not overclock very well. I had a Gigabyte 965G DS3 that would not overclock worth a darn for the same reason. I turned around and bought another Gigabyte without the onboard graphics and it overclocked. Its something to do with the chipset design or you just did not get a good OCing chip.

Yes, I was also a bit afraid that onboard graphics boards may have some limitations. Well actually I expected worse. At least it reached the rough 3GHz, which is fast enough with current applications nearby, I do not think this CPU @3GHz will be a bottleneck in the near future...

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out that I can go higher with CPU clock only if pciE frequency is increased it is for sure, no other way around on this MB. With some diffculties I reached 121MHz without SATA loss, this way going beyond the 329Mhz limit was possible, up to 331... :(

As the bottleneck here is the pciE frequency and SATA devices, I pondered if I plugged in my old PATA HDD with IDE cable maybe it would not lose connectivity above 121 MHz?? In the bios the option is there to increase pciE up to 150 MHz. 1 MHz increment on pciE frequency gives me 2-3MHz increment possibility on CPU clock... Maybe it would work???

After fighting my ram on my p5k, I noticed as well I couldn't boot via sata. Here's a little tidbit of lah blah blah. My ram mysteriously doesn't boot either cold, or if I flip the power switch. I have to install some ol' ginkston and turn my ram settings to 700 or so cause 800 won't boot. I'll flash them soon. But to the point. After loading my oc'ing profile and saving all was well. But my pci-e freq. was saved at 150,and I normally run it at 112, so...no sata. I myself think that , well, my box is open right now, I'm gonna turn up my pci-e, and plug it into the inferior sata controller, peace.

the jmicron didn't detect period I was @ 116 pci-e. Now back to my problems, once I disabled it, and upped my pci-e one, it came up but froze at post. Now all this talk of AI is quite interesting. I have everything at auto except my vcore and my nb @1.4, at least I think it's nb, whatever everyone ups to 1.4. So, it is possible that my mobo just isn't deilvering voltage after awhile to power everything at such borderline speeds. The automatic upping of sb, nb, etc. My one stumble at manually setting some voltages just resulted in system instability. Running the computer and then having a power down renders my computer useless for a day or so (using a stick that hadn't been used for a lil worked fine, and it's the EXACT same kind of stick. Now that I write this, I think my whole post is pretty much bull, and it's a ram issue. Although, having 2gb of mushkin 4x512's, and only running two. I couldn't boot earlier today, and it had been a good 18 hours. Even the sticks I wasn't using didn't post. And as everyone knows, it's as easy as turning the switch off with a p5k-deluxe, and bios is reset. HMMMMMMMM

To answer the last post on running pata, yes it will work. Your problem is that, your onboard gfx are on, no matter what, the're apart of the chipset and cannot be electrically adjusted. I suspect that the onboard gfx communicates through pci-e just like any other video card or oldschool chipset that has onboard requires an agp driver. So if you want to go higher, pata is your answer.

Edited by KLYMiiT

• 5 weeks later...
So if you want to go higher, pata is your answer.

I tried with an old PATA device, and it was possible to go a bit higher but not much. 125MHz pciE reached with this one, making possible to OC CPU a tiny bit above 3000MHz...not good enough, so I got rid of the P5B-V with onboard graphics (Asus confirmed - also the guys here earlier - the OC limitation of only about 20% because of integrated VGA) and got an Asus Blitz Formula Special Edition.

Well this one can OC big time. 3874 MHz reached with E6600 stable in CPU tests however I did not risk this setting without water cooling installed...even with wc temp was 75C during CPU Mandel. A bit High. I also had to adjust VCore to an extreme high value, 1.725 otherwise the system dumped the total memory and crashed during heavy CPU tests.

Here is a screenshot and Everest reports, though the first 4 mem test headers written in Hungarian, sorry for that but Everest recognises OS language.

In the BLitz BIOS there are some settings I have not seen so far anywhere earlier, like DRAM ref voltage channel A and B stepup/stepdown respectively in mV , DRAM controller voltage setting etc.

I will start a new thread with my questions, as we are facing some new features here I guess.

post-22192-1188165492_thumb.jpg

Report_3800__1015.zip

I also had to adjust VCore to an extreme high value, 1.725 otherwise the system dumped the total memory and crashed during heavy CPU tests.

:unsure: I wouldn't leave the vcore that high...it's just asking for a quick and nasty death.