Problem overclocking E6600 CPU & PCIE frequency - SATA devices los

Hi,

I have a problem with overclocking my external clock on Asus P5B-V as my system did not want to boot at 289 MHz. I figured out that the PCIE frequency had to be also increased to overstep that boundary. It was OK (increasing both step by step) up to 328 ext clock reaching 2.955 GHz on CPU (with 120 MHz PCIE clock), but then @ 329 ext clock the system did not load again. Trying to solve by increasing PCIE clock to 121 - as it worked nicely previously - all the SATA devices were lost (not detected) in BIOS. WHY??? What does PCIE frequency have anything to do with SATA, as far as I know these are handled by the south bridge. ( I have G965 NB integrated graphics but not used currently and ICH8 SB)

I have a feeling if I could go higher up with PCIE clock than 120 (the mb is capable of 150) I could increase the CPU clock further up...please help :( as I want to hit the 3GHz as the minimum.

as far as i know its usually a bad idea to touch the PCIe clock. Have you tried giving the cou more voltage?

Yes, that did not help. My board did not boot at all with increased ext clock unless I increased the PCIE frequency. really tried everything, messing around with memory frequency and all, I did overclock all of my sysems in the past, but this is the first time I had to increase something else apart from CPU clock / vcore. I never touched slot speeds.

Yes, that did not help. My board did not boot at all with increased ext clock unless I increased the PCIE frequency. really tried everything, messing around with memory frequency and all, I did overclock all of my sysems in the past, but this is the first time I had to increase something else apart from CPU clock / vcore. I never touched slot speeds.

Do you have the newest Bios for your board?

Not sure about that board but my board will not boot at all with PCIE set at 120. It will boot from 105 to 115, I run it at 105...

Well, this one is the other way around, I had to increase PCIE frequency to boot. When it did not boot again because I pulled the CPU external clock further up, it helped when increased the PCIE clock again, and on n on...when at 120 pcie clock just would not detect any SATA drives. Maybe this is the limit of SATA devices operation??

By the way here is the Evereset result overclocked (memory not fully pulled up and single channel config yet)

Report_C2DUOE6600KHX.htm

Edited by zalaszen

Well, this one is the other way around, I had to increase PCIE frequency to boot. When it did not boot again because I pulled the CPU external clock further up, it helped when increased the PCIE clock again, and on n on...when at 120 pcie clock just would not detect any SATA drives. Maybe this is the limit of SATA devices operation??

By the way here is the Evereset result overclocked (memory not fully pulled up and single channel config yet)

Hmm that does not make sense. Can you post some pictures of your bios settings? I am not familiar with that board but I bet between all of us here we can figure out something. Also see if there is a bios update.

Hmm that does not make sense. Can you post some pictures of your bios settings? I am not familiar with that board but I bet between all of us here we can figure out something. Also see if there is a bios update.

Yes, here are the pictures with nearly the max working setting. Of course bios is the latest version. Since these pictures were taken I managed to put pciE frequency at 121 without SATA loss. With some difficulties (about 3 trials) the system loaded then again I could increase the CPU clock further up to 330 (all tests successful), but at 331 the whole desktop became corrupted (discoloured pixels) when Vista loaded, like an overclocked VGA where the memory is beyond the limit....I gues it is because Aero is using 3D.

I tried the above clocks with fixed voltages of pcie / nb / sb etc... leaving only vcore at Auto, because I was told with increased CPU clock these values may be set too high with Auto setting, only fixing voltages made possible to reach 121 without SATA loss, but at 122 not detected again....

I also posted the northbridge configuration menu because it is possible that it has somenting to do with onboard VGA (Intel 965G)

As you can see I disabled it manually, however it is not functioning by default with pciE card plugged into the primary slot . It is also possible that overall I reached the limitation of my SATA devices that`s why pciE freq will no go higher without drive detection problem. But why this frequency is affecting the external clock max??? I know it from experimenting that it does...if pciE is not set high enough and CPU overclocked, after restart even the monitor (60 Hz LCD) will not turn on. Should I run at 70 Hz and try everything again???

post-22192-1183583104_thumb.jpg

post-22192-1183583148_thumb.jpg

Are you running all of those settings in the first picture on auto, memory, vcore, FSB, NB, ICH etc.? Also this board has onboard video which may not overclock well. Try setting the memory timings and voltage to what your memory specs are and you are probably going to have to start raising the vcore voltage and I would set the PCIE on about 115 and leave it alone. If its not detecting the drives you probably need more chipset voltage on the ICH, FSB, and Southbridge. How much I do not know on that board but a little higher than stock volts. All of my setting are a +.volts above stock settings yours are different...

Are you running all of those settings in the first picture on auto, memory, vcore, FSB, NB, ICH etc.? Also this board has onboard video which may not overclock well. Try setting the memory timings and voltage to what your memory specs are and you are probably going to have to start raising the vcore voltage and I would set the PCIE on about 115 and leave it alone. If its not detecting the drives you probably need more chipset voltage on the ICH, FSB, and Southbridge. How much I do not know on that board but a little higher than stock volts. All of my setting are a +.volts above stock settings yours are different...

Yes I was running at Auto, with the clock settings you see above worked OK. When it did not work it did not matter which voltage setting I picked stock or the mid value did not help. Only if I increased both frequences CPU and pciE parallel...

Otherwise here are the possibilities:

Mem: 1.8- 2.45 at 0.05V The Kingston runs at 1066Mhz with 2.2V 5-5-5-15 as default

Vcore: 1.25-1.7 at 0.0125V

FSB term: 1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5V

NB: 1.25/1.35/1.45/1.55V

SB: 1.5/1.6/1.7/1.8V

ICH8: 1.05/1.15V

Yes I was running at Auto, with the clock settings you see above worked OK. When it did not work it did not matter which voltage setting I picked stock or the mid value did not help. Only if I increased both frequences CPU and pciE parallel...

Otherwise here are the possibilities:

Mem: 1.8- 2.45 at 0.05V The Kingston runs at 1066Mhz with 2.2V 5-5-5-15 as default

Vcore: 1.25-1.7 at 0.0125V

FSB term: 1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5V

NB: 1.25/1.35/1.45/1.55V

SB: 1.5/1.6/1.7/1.8V

ICH8: 1.05/1.15V

Like I say I am not familiar with that board but this page may help...

Like I say I am not familiar with that board but this page may help...

I checked the page, thanks for the tip but it did not work to me... This is strange, the good old overclocking techniques do not work on this motherboard.... The most logical thing that along with frequences voltages are also need to be increased does not apply here.

At least I managed to get AI overclocking working, because my windows always hang above 5% at the progress bar...

Playing with voltages gave me an idea what about if I nail all the voltages to stock apart fom vcore to fix AI overclocking problem, as I suspected the system puts too high voltage on nb /sb /fsb etc. Well it worked :D

Windows loading was OK at 20%, all tests successful, which means that the system is now able to overclock itself depending on workload up to 2.88GHz without touching anything...Actually this is even more important than having a high peak all time even if it is not needed, like writing this thread... As you can see external clock is chaged within application while it is running (individual everest tests), resulting FSB / memrory speed increase - decrease automtically. I like this... ;)

Sorry the frist 4 everest test headers are in Hungarian, these are:

1.Memory read

2.Memory write

3.Memory copy

4. Latency

post-22192-1183834512_thumb.jpg

post-22192-1183834658_thumb.jpg

AI_20_.htm