Creative Soundcard Optical Out

Uber

I have a couple creative sound cards the Audigy Value, and the Audigy 4. I need to get optical out on one of these cards (preferably the Audigy Value) i know Creative has the little Digital I/O box, though i cannot seem to find what interface it has with the card, the picture showes it as a 3.5mm jack which is not capable of 5.1 data transmission so im a little skeptical. This is for a HTPC and i cannot stick a 5.25" bay unit in. I need something that can be inside the PC, or i can run a cable out the back.

Here is a link to I/O module. http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...mp;product=1780

the orange 3.5mm socket on creative cards is a digital S/PDIF connection... a phono (RCA) jack is coaxial S/PDIF... it has a signal and a ground... so a 3.5mm CAN send digital signals, including DD and DTS...

Problem is, reative cards do NOT encode. So if you play anything that isnt 5.1 encoded, you will get 2 channel PCM sound.

If you want Live Encoding you will need an Auzentech or Razer sound card.

Problem is, reative cards do NOT encode. So if you play anything that isnt 5.1 encoded, you will get 2 channel PCM sound.

If you want Live Encoding you will need an Auzentech or Razer sound card.

but really, you're still just getting glorified Pro Logic. If the original source isn't in 5.1, then you're not going to get a "true" 5.1 output from anything that "encodes" it into 5.1

I mean sure, I watch TV through my Harman Kardon A/V reciever & it does a surprisingly good job of putting regular sterero tv audio into 5.1 sound... but is it "true" 5.1? no it's not. Does it sound good for what it is? You bet.

Pete is referring to discrete multichannel sound from games being encoded to AC-3... so the source is a precise 5.1 (or higher) configuration, more realistic than DVD movie soundtracks which are artificial surround sound, as games use HRTF for multichannel sound which means ALL the sounds are calculated based on their position, instead of part of a post-production mixing process.

^ thanks Hardnrg, that is exactly what I was referring too.

If you play 5.1 game WITHOUT a digital ENcoder on your card and connect to your Digital receiver with Optical/Coax you will only get 2 Channel PCM. Therefore losing all that TRUE 5.1 sound the game would otherwise output.

You can then of course have your A/V Amp simulate the remaining channels. But it wont sound as good as if you just let the games 5.1 output be encoded as is.

but really, you're still just getting glorified Pro Logic. If the original source isn't in 5.1, then you're not going to get a "true" 5.1 output from anything that "encodes" it into 5.1

I mean sure, I watch TV through my Harman Kardon A/V reciever & it does a surprisingly good job of putting regular sterero tv audio into 5.1 sound... but is it "true" 5.1? no it's not. Does it sound good for what it is? You bet.

Your reciever is simulating 5.1, and most on the market do a very good job of it now.

^ thanks Hardnrg, that is exactly what I was referring too.

If you play 5.1 game WITHOUT a digital ENcoder on your card and connect to your Digital receiver with Optical/Coax you will only get 2 Channel PCM. Therefore losing all that TRUE 5.1 sound the game would otherwise output.

You can then of course have your A/V Amp simulate the remaining channels. But it wont sound as good as if you just let the games 5.1 output be encoded as is.

Hmm i never really thought about games in 5.1... as this was going to be for my new HTPC setup. So for example if i wanted all my games and what not to be in 5.1 as well this creative card would not do it?

i think it would be able to do 5.1 for games but dont hold me to that

as for an alternative for the htpc you may want to have a look here as it has the DD and DDL onbard the card ... i have one and its, imo, better then the augidy.

Edited by neddamttocs

It would NOT be able to output in 5.1 on games. END of.

NOT over Optical anyway. If you can connect to your receiver over analogue, then yes, you will get 5.1

Thats what I am saying, to really make use of an Optical/Coax digital connection you NEED an ENCoding card.

It would NOT be able to output in 5.1 on games. END of.

NOT over Optical anyway. If you can connect to your receiver over analogue, then yes, you will get 5.1

Thats what I am saying, to really make use of an Optical/Coax digital connection you NEED an ENCoding card.

So it wont output 5.1 for games, but it will foreverything else? DVD's, movies, etc. (assuming they have the 5.1 audio track)