Stress/Torture tests

Ok i have a question,

I can boot into windows, my temps are fine and i have no problem use 3dmark06, but everytime i use prime 95 or orthos i get hardware failure, why is that

and do these test really matter since you never really use 100% of both cores

oh yea and what does rounding was .5, expected less that .4 mean

In my experience the error (rounding was .5, expected less that .4) is usually (But not always) related to, too little or too much Vcore..

Guest ecthlipsis

Those tests are VERY important. Here's one example. I had a dead ram stick and didn't know it for months. Games would always crash after 20+ minutes, and it was the biggest technology headache I have ever experienced. I didn't suspect a hardware error until someone on these forums pointed me to MemTest86+, which found the problem. Now things work great. The dead stick even passed Orthos and Prime 95 overnight, which is why I totally thought it was software related.

In short, if you fail Orthos or Prime 95, reduce your OC or increase your voltages (check to see what is safe first, of course). Failing a stress test shows that your OC is not stable and will give you problems. Yes, Orthos stresses 100% of your CPU cores, but so do games. If you can't pass Orthos with no errors, you are certainly going to have problems with 3D applications.

As a side note, Orthos has a strange priority system. Priority 1 is actually the least stressful on your components, while 10 is highest. I usually run mine on 8. It seemed to either error in about 2 minutes or pass no matter what. I'd definitely recommend running MemTest86+, too. It is available here.

I run ORTHOS daily. 9 times out of 10, if it fails early, it's RAM settings. Are you running correct memory voltage? What's with the 4-4-4-4? Do 4-4-4-12. Are those HZ modules? 3.5 is tough one to get stable with the E6420 if you're using the 8. I'd back it all up and just run a 400 fsb with stock voltages. E6420 will do that easily. Make sure your RAM voltage is set correctly. Do 3-4 passes of MEMTEST. If it makes it thru that, hit it with ORTHOS. If it lasts thru ORTHOS an hour, go to bed and let it do its thing. Find out where you stand and get stabilized first. Then move up in small steps. Too many builders just have to start right at the top. Good way to trash expensive hardware. Good luck.

You run Orthos daily? Do you have nothing better t do that that? The G.Skill HZ's are D9GMH, running 4-4-4-4 is no problem, as long as there is enough volts on those sticks. The problem for you is obvious though, 3.5GHz at 1.38 just isn't gonna work. You'll need something along the lines of 1.45-1.55 to run that totally stable.

Guest ecthlipsis
You run Orthos daily? Do you have nothing better t do that that?

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I only run Orthos after I change something.

• 3 weeks later...
You run Orthos daily? Do you have nothing better t do that that? The G.Skill HZ's are D9GMH, running 4-4-4-4 is no problem, as long as there is enough volts on those sticks. The problem for you is obvious though, 3.5GHz at 1.38 just isn't gonna work. You'll need something along the lines of 1.45-1.55 to run that totally stable.

Outside business in the day - build pcs by nite. usually 4/month. That's how I manage to run ORTHOS (almost) daily. Manditory procedure. I run my E6420 at 440x8 stable with stock voltage (by the way) with GeIL ESOTERIA. Nuttin' to it.

Carry on.