Hit My Ceiling?

Guest ecthlipsis

Guest ecthlipsis

For whatever reason it seems my E6600 won't go above 3.1ghz (stable). The odd thing, though, is that it seems that the memory starts getting unstable. Why is that odd? Because I'm running in unlinked divider and thus the ram speeds aren't changing at all. So here's the scoop:

I've been running 1.37v to the vcore for a while but decided I wanted to go above 3.1. I upped the voltage to 1.400v and then proceeded to raise the proc to 3.25ghz. It failed Othos blend after 3.5 seconds. I lowered it back to 3.2 and it still failed in about 5 seconds. I then lowered it to 3.15 and it still failed. It only fails blend, though. Even at 3.25ghz I could run Orthos proc stress only with no problems.

Thinking unlinked mode might have something to do with it, I set my divider back to fixed ratios in linked mode. I tried several, from 1:1 to 3:2 and they all failed if the processor was over 3.1ghz, even if the ram got clocked lower than it already was. This is making no sense to me. I can run my memory at 460mhz 4-4-4-8 stable at 3.1ghz but can't run the memory stable at 5-5-5-15 400mhz if the processor is higher than that? Does anyone know what might be up? I just don't get why the memory errors if the processor speed increases when the memory is left alone or is set back to clock speeds.

The memory is set to 2.27v by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ecthlipsis

Update:

I got it to 3.2, but not without a serious fight and 1.44v. That's more than I want to go, though, so I lowered it back. Looks like I got a pretty poor (relative) 6600. Oh well.

idk if its your motherboard thats holding your back, but if you check the post that i just made. i can get to higher speeds with much lower voltage and still remain fairly stable. my friend had the same problem with that 3.15 - 3.24ghz wall. have you tried adjusting the fsb voltages?

Guest ecthlipsis
idk if its your motherboard thats holding your back, but if you check the post that i just made. i can get to higher speeds with much lower voltage and still remain fairly stable. my friend had the same problem with that 3.15 - 3.24ghz wall. have you tried adjusting the fsb voltages?

No, because I haven't found out where that option is in my BIOS. I'll look again. What is a safe but strong level to set it to, anyway? Thanks.

Also, the older bin C2D's apparently were better overclockers than the newer ones, so grats if you have one of those =D

Dude, stop being afraid to give it some Vcore. You can go up to 1.5 everyday Vcore without much risk.

Then again it depends on your temps.

NOW PUSH IT...

Might want to look into a BIOS Flash.. For the options you can't find..

Dude, stop being afraid to give it some Vcore. You can go up to 1.5 everyday Vcore without much risk.

Then again it depends on your temps.

NOW PUSH IT...

Might want to look into a BIOS Flash.. For the options you can't find..

What would you consider to be excessive load temps.

I would not run it 24/7 under load like folding over about 60c if it was mine. Everyone has different opinions...

:withstupid: 65C is probably the somewhat-safe max, but I wouldn't suggest going much above 60. And people use vCore as high as 1.55V 24/7.

Guest ecthlipsis
60C like everyone else is saying.

I hit 50C on SMP Folding, at 3.3 Ghz and 1.5 Vcore.

Yours runs cooler than mine. At 3.1ghz @ 1.42v I was at 60C under Orthos (Core Temp). I should lap it, but I really don't care enough at the moment, lol.