Freeware File Recovery

nan0click

I was playing Halo 2 the other day on my PC and little did I know my video card fan had stopped turning. Well, of course my computer crashes hard, and since I was downloading in the background, some files corrupted on a drive I use only for storage. I go to reformat (I'm downgrading to XP because of game performance on my lower-end machine) today, and it says that one of my drives are corrupted. I shut down and unplug it and began installing XP, finish the install and plug it back in. Well now it says its not even formatted. I have been searching for recovery programs since this drive was a full 300GB drive, its a lot of stuff to lose, 60 gigs of HQ music, most of my movies and TV series, painstakingly ripped, named and categorized.

I can't afford to buy new hardware right now, and so I have been searching for a recovery program that's free, and so far nothing has come up, well A LOT of stuff has come up, too much for any results to be reliable. What programs do you guys suggest for undeleting formated drives?

Thanks.

Oh its a 300GB Seagate SATA drive, so if it is failing I can send it in and get a replacement since its under Warranty, maybe I would get an upgrade to 7200.10 if I did that. Other drives on my system include a 160GB split in half, 80 for a boot drive and 80 for files (SATA as well), and an external USB 80GB Enclosed IDE drive, also for files.

are the Chipset/SATA/RAID drivers installed?

Handy Recovery 1.0 (Free, later versions are not free)

(following are not free, but worth checking out to see if maybe someone you know is a network admin or something and can help you out)

File Scavenger 3.0.1 (Not free, but has a demo/trial that might work fully functional - I use the full (i.e. not free/trial) version)

Winternals Administrator's Pack (ERD Commander 2005, Remote Recover, NTFSDOS Professional, Crash Analyzer Wizard, FileRestore, Filemon Enterprise Edition, Regmon Enterprise Edition, ADExplorer, Insight for Active Directory, and TCP Tools)

those are the tools I use...

Seagate now offers recovery services as well. They offer recovery software that isn't free, but the trial version will at least let you know if there are any recoverable files on the drive. If there are, you can purchase the software. At least this way you're not out any money if there's nothing on the drive it can recover.