X2 3800+ Toledo Problems.

rhoxed

What kind of PSU do you have? That seems like it might be part of your problem with stability if you are jumping .06 from where you have it set. When a program or something needs that extra juice and tries to pull for it and your PSU is on the down side of the jump could cause major stability issues....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antec makes good power supplies but not saying you might not of gotten a lemon though. It would help if you could fill out your signature so everyone knows what all components are in your system to see if in fact this PSU is strong enough for your system (which I am sure it is) Also you might want to check the rails on the PSU if you have a multimeter handy you can google around and there are plenty of good guides out there that walks you through on how to test your PSU rails....I need to get off here for the night but should be on and off here tomorrow....I will catch up to you then and in the mean time maybe someone else can shed some more light on this and maybe also confirm that it might be the PSU as that item in a lot of cases can be overlooked just because someone goes out and get a top of the line components sometimes even a really good PSU can't keep up with all of it....

You are wrong. It is a toledo, i dont think CPU-Z would lie. They had short supply of manchester so they took the toledo core and cut half the L2 cache to 2x512 and started selling them.

Trying to help with my problem would be appreciated, not you speculating if i have errors in my information, which sir i do not.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Toledo)

Revision: JH-E6

Family: F

Model: 3

Stepping: 2

would you like to do some research on that comment?

Toledo is a misnomer... even though it is a half cache Toledo, that's like saying my processor is an FX-60, but with a max multiplier of 10x... same Toledo core, same cache...

it makes a difference because a 512k cache per core processor is easier to overclock than a 1MB cache per core processor... compare the X2 3800+ (512k per core) to the Opteron 170, and overall, the X2 3800+ has slightly higher average overclock

that is why I mentioned it, you could say a sempron is just a toledo with 1/4 of the cache, but even if there was a sempron toledo, it would be pointless to call it a toledo since it isn't a true fully functional toledo

ANYway... I also mentioned the ram mixture is holding you back, which turned out to be correct... so I was helping on both counts.

switching from 2T to 1T is about the same as a 100-200 MHz increase in ram speed... so it would help performance there

how did you gain 8 MHz on the ram, but not on the CPU? did you have to run the CPU slower?

yea i had to run the cpu slower. as soon as it hits 2.8 or higher it crashes or fails prime95 tests.

right now i have been running dual prime for 6hrs at 2.6ghz with a vcore of 1.44 with no errors....

im just really confused here

I just got my 3800 x2 in my pc. but would like to get it around 2.5 ghz.

If i could get it to run at 2.7ghz i'd be very happy.. also do you have too unlock the cpu like the old athlons??

any help on what i should set bios settings to start at..

oh you might need this..

Asus A8V deluxe up dated the bios to rev. 1014

pc3200 corsair xms dual ch. ddr 256x2

BFG 6800 oc. AGP video card.

Ultra 550 w. power supply

120 gb ata 133 hard drive on ide.

also have single stick of 1024mb ultra memory pc3200 Which would be better to run???

single stick or dual channel???

ok i decided to try the overclocking feture in the bios.

it only let me overclock to 7% worked fine. cpu-z shows 2139.9 MHz - 214 MHz bus - 1070 HT - and ?? 1.200v on the core??

tried to go 10% with no boot result.

NEED HELP!!!

do i need to flash bios with the beta version???

Set your vcore to 1.4v set your ram to 166mghz divider, and 4x HT instead of 5x, and you should be able to get to 2.5 with no problems. (might need to bump vcore to 1.45v)

Right now im running my 3800+ with pc3200 at 2.5ghz my ram divider is set to 166mghz so my ram speed ends up 208.3mghz and my HT link is at x4 to end up at 1000mghz exactly. My vcore is 1.42 with max temp of 41oC full load

Edited by rhoxed