X2 3800+ Toledo Problems.

rhoxed

First off i was wondering if burning in a CPU is beneficial and whats the best way to do it.

Right now im Running Athlon 3800+ x2 Toledo @ 2.77ghz CorsairXMS DDR PC3200 3GB(2x1GB 2x512MB) @ 220mghz. Mobo is MSI-K8N Neo-4 Platinum.

Im really at a stand still here. My full load at 2.77ghz arent even reaching 42oC and are about 33oC idle. i have tried setting down the ram multiplier to 133 and upping the FSB it just reboots. I use a 1.56 vcore to run the 2.77ghz. Do you think it is my CPU holding me back or my MOBO or something else? i know i can set the ram FSB to 133 and be able to get to 2.9ghz easy without breaking the rams limit. But my mobo wont let me change the multiplier any higher then 10x

Im trying a burn-in that my friend suggested right now, but i dont think it is being done right. Im running my 2ghz cpu at 1.2ghz with the vcore at 1.09 running various stress tests.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

System: My System

CPU

Athlon64 3800+ Toledo 939 Motherboard

MSI K8N Neo4 (MS7125) Memory

2x 1GB Sticks and 2x 512MB of Corsair CMX-3200 Graphics Card

7800GT

Hard Drive

2x 250GB WD Raid 1x 500GB Samsung RAID 1x 80GB WD Sound Card

Realtek ac97 Power Supply

Antec 550W True Power Trio Case

Antec

CPU cooling

Zalman 9700NT GPU cooling

V-COOL Case cooling

3x 120MM 4x 80MM fans

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=209821

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

512KB cache per core = Manchester

1MB cache per core = Toledo

You have a Manchester CPU

mixing different size ram sticks and overclocking is the best way to get a headache... use 2x1GB only and throw the 512 sticks in a drawer...

You are wrong. It is a toledo, i dont think CPU-Z would lie. They had short supply of manchester so they took the toledo core and cut half the L2 cache to 2x512 and started selling them.

Trying to help with my problem would be appreciated, not you speculating if i have errors in my information, which sir i do not.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Toledo)

Revision: JH-E6

Family: F

Model: 3

Stepping: 2

would you like to do some research on that comment?

Burning in a cpu is basically doing a stability/stress test on it. That's all it is. Run some OCCP, 3DM05/06 or something along those lines if you want to "burn it in".

And as hardnrg said, your ram is screwing your OC. Drop the two 512 sticks and you could probably get a better OC going.

I tried dropping the 512 sticks, didnt get me any further just the larger sticks of ram are able to hit 233 mghz at pc3200 and the 512's cap out at 225mghz. But even with the ram multiplier set much lower to get a better FSB off the cpu, i still cant get over 2.8ghz and thats with ram running 197mghz which is right below stock. so right now im better off with the cpu at 2.7ghz and the ram kicked to 233mghz then 2.8 with the ram under stock speed. I need to find a way to get the CPU FSB higher than 280. My load temps at 2.8 is only 44oC so i know its not a heating problem.

Btw if you look up 3 posts i have the 2 sticks removed in a CPU-Z validation.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=209821

Edited by rhoxed

You may have just hit the wall. If you can't go any higher no matter what you do, there's either nothing left for you to do but accept that or go to extremes to push your rig. Sorry man but it looks like you've taken it as far as it could go. :(

Edit: Extremes being stuff like phase change, liquid nitrogen, volt modding and all that crazy stuff.

Edited by iKillSteal

You are wrong. It is a toledo, i dont think CPU-Z would lie. They had short supply of manchester so they took the toledo core and cut half the L2 cache to 2x512 and started selling them.

Trying to help with my problem would be appreciated, not you speculating if i have errors in my information, which sir i do not.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Toledo)

Revision: JH-E6

Family: F

Model: 3

Stepping: 2

would you like to do some research on that comment?

for your information, that's waht ALL manchester chips are. just like the venice was to san diego. cache is there just disabled.

also using an outdated version of cpu z will give you that result.

I am using CPU-Z version 1.4 according to their website it is the latest version.

Google up some results on toledo and manchester 3800+ x2's and you will understand what im talking about. Manchester core is revision E4 and Toledo is revision E6