Am I Going To Burn This Thing Up?

To hot or not?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Am I going to burn up my CPU at these temps?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about lapping. Even thouh my HSF is mirror finished that doesn't mean it is flat. I am a little leery about lapping as I have done a poor job in the past. I have a lot more experience now, though. I would lap the CPU, but I really don't wwant to screw it up and void my warranty.

Lap the CPU. Core2Duo IHS's are notoriously bad at being either concave or convex. Some spots dip while others rise, ever so slightly. You could shave up to 10*C in the worst case scenario off of your load temp. Grab the black CPU holder that came with your retail box and use that to hold the chip while you sand with 400 and then 600 grit sandpaper. Any higher offers negligible difference. This would be about the 4th C2D I've lapped and in all cases its offered a performance increase with the lower temps.

Great idea with the retail box cover. You really don't suggest going any higher than 800 grit? I have heard so many different opinions. Do you think I should lap the HSF, even though it is mirror finished?

Great idea with the retail box cover. You really don't suggest going any higher than 800 grit? I have heard so many different opinions. Do you think I should lap the HSF, even though it is mirror finished?

As you said before, mirror finish doesn't mean flat. Use as high a grit as you want. Personally, I'd go to at least 1000.

As you said before, mirror finish doesn't mean flat. Use as high a grit as you want. Personally, I'd go to at least 1000.

I'll probably lap both using at least up to 1000 grit paper. I would like to do it the way hardnrg has described the way he does it. I may have to make a poll about which grit everyone finishes with.

Anybody want to comment more about the temps I a getting and if they are dangerous?

600 or 800 grit is about where you see the best performance. "mirror" finishes are just eye candy and offer little to no improvement over temps. The only time I ever focus on getting my copper mirror finished is on my LN2/DICE Pots. I usually use a criss cross patter on the sandpaper holding on to the black CPU holder. It works great and cleanup with alcohol later is a cinch (pour on and rub off with qtips, make sure you do the back where the pins touch really good). Just remember to do it on a flat surface, mirrors or glass tables are perfect for this (finally a use for my woman's coffee table :)); and as for your original question: Why chance it? If you can lower your temps and possibly get a better OC in the longrun why not go for it?

I would start with 400 grit because otherwise you'll be sanding for hours. Don't be afraid you've got plenty of room to sand. I'd say finished with 1500 grit (nice and smooth). If you deside to use water when sanding you better make sure you don't get any water under the IHS, I never used water on my lap. Also when the sandpaper starts to load up with copper take a paintbrush and sweep away all the dust in sandpaper. Just pretend your sanding a square piece of wood and sand that sucker. Good luck.

I would start with 400 grit because otherwise you'll be sanding for hours. Don't be afraid you've got plenty of room to sand. I'd say finished with 1500 grit (nice and smooth). If you deside to use water when sanding you better make sure you don't get any water under the IHS, I never used water on my lap. Also when the sandpaper starts to load up with copper take a paintbrush and sweep away all the dust in sandpaper. Just pretend your sanding a square piece of wood and sand that sucker. Good luck.

Luckily the IHS on the C2D CPU does not have the whole in it that the previous Intel chips have had. I will make sure to keep the black protector that came with the CPU over the business end of the CPU while doing it.

Everyone else, please take part in the poll at the top of the post. I am guiding that poll toward whether or not you think I have a problem with my temps at the current setup, not if I decide to lap.

Luckily the IHS on the C2D CPU does not have the whole in it that the previous Intel chips have had. I will make sure to keep the black protector that came with the CPU over the business end of the CPU while doing it.

Everyone else, please take part in the poll at the top of the post. I am guiding that poll toward whether or not you think I have a problem with my temps at the current setup, not if I decide to lap.

My temps under Orthos load highest temp using TAT was 65c both cores. My Vcore is 1.51v, NB 1.55v, FSB 1.4v. I didn't mention that my first P5B Deluxe died on me a week ago, this new one is allowing me to use a lower Vcore than the first one. My Vcore on old mainboard was 1.57v compaired to now 1.51v and I get lower temps to. So I'm at 3.6GHz 400x9 with full Orthos load never higher than 65c using TAT.