Am I Going To Burn This Thing Up?

To hot or not?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Am I going to burn up my CPU at these temps?

• Yes
    • No

I have asked similar questions before, but want more opinions. I am currently running my system at the specs in my sig. Under full load (Orthos, dual FAH), I run at about 65C. My vCore voltage is1.54375 as the manual setting, but the BIOS says the "actual" is 1.5. I am also running the FSB 1.4, SPP 1.5, MCP 1.5, HT 1.5 and memory is stable at default.

Am I going to cook this thing, or am I ok? I would lap the CPU, but I didn't buy a retail box just to void my warranty.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

naa, you're fine. Computer stuff is made to last ages, now you shave off 2-3 years with giving it a wee bit higher voltage, so what? I ran the first 3700+ San Diego I had at 1.575V's daily full power for like a year....

naa, you're fine. Computer stuff is made to last ages, now you shave off 2-3 years with giving it a wee bit higher voltage, so what? I ran the first 3700+ San Diego I had at 1.575V's daily full power for like a year....

People like us can't keep a computer around long enough to notice shaving off 2-3 years of life. At the least we keep them just for extra boxes for the family and FAH.

Anybody else think the same as King, or are we crazy?

65c does seem a bit high to me, but that's only based on my A64 knowledge. I'd never run a K8 or K9 chip at that temp, but from what I understand, the C2D chips are more tolerant of temps in that range.

Is 65c your normal load temp? If you're saying that's full Orthos load, then folding load (if you fold on it) should be less, I'd think. I always found that my OCCT or Prime temps were noticably higher than a standard folding load. Is that the case with yours?

65c does seem a bit high to me, but that's only based on my A64 knowledge. I'd never run a K8 or K9 chip at that temp, but from what I understand, the C2D chips are more tolerant of temps in that range.

Is 65c your normal load temp? If you're saying that's full Orthos load, then folding load (if you fold on it) should be less, I'd think. I always found that my OCCT or Prime temps were noticably higher than a standard folding load. Is that the case with yours?

My temp was higher when I ran Orthos for 24hrs. I am at 65C while folding.

My temp was higher when I ran Orthos for 24hrs. I am at 65C while folding.

Do anything you can to keep that temp from not going any higher than 65c, if that means getting a better PC that cools better then your cool. Do all you can to keep it at or under 65c, adding more fans, keeping your room temp down(where you PC is located). Even at night if its cool outside open a window. I have a ceiling fan above me/PC with my AC duct pointed at my PC area. I wouldn't worrie to much as some have stated your only shaving off a few years, I keep my CPU's no longer than 2 years. B:)

I tried lowering my voltages to keep it cooler, but it doesn't stay stable at 3.6 any lower than I have it. I may just back it down to some previous settings I know worked.

Thanks for your input so far. Anyone else?

You sure your heatsink is seated correctly? It may have slipped without you knowing and that could be the cause of your high-temps. You can also try reapplying the thermal paste of your choice.

Nah. I think it's seated fine. With a vCore that high using that cooler, I think it's perfectly fine.

You probably don't have to worry about it as long as you keep it below 65C. Once you pass 65 you're getting a bit too warm though. Just keep the rest of your stuff (NB, RAM, etc) adequately cooled too, you'll be fine.