Copper Heatsink On The Rocks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the pics, yeah amd...but in the video it sure looks like a P3

Yeah, it must be. That's what other people have been mentioning. Fits pretty well, given the year and all.

Edited by leetupload

i have one question though - i don't get how wadding up some tinfoil and putting it in the gap of the four pennies allows for adequate heat transfer. is there any way we can see the actual temp of the processor from the bios? for example....the water temp in my water cooling is around 25c around load, but my processor hits sometimes up to 35c on load. so...just reading the tail end of a heatpipe won't give an accurate reading imo.

but definitely a cool idea - i probably would have done the something like if i had the time :)

as far as the chip itself...around 2:05 it obviousy says intel.

also...was there an explanation for the sealant of holes? i know there was something about being completely dustfree, but i didn't see the pci slot holes sealed up :O

i have one question though - i don't get how wadding up some tinfoil and putting it in the gap of the four pennies allows for adequate heat transfer. is there any way we can see the actual temp of the processor from the bios? for example....the water temp in my water cooling is around 25c around load, but my processor hits sometimes up to 35c on load. so...just reading the tail end of a heatpipe won't give an accurate reading imo.

but definitely a cool idea - i probably would have done the something like if i had the time :)

as far as the chip itself...around 2:05 it obviousy says intel.

also...was there an explanation for the sealant of holes? i know there was something about being completely dustfree, but i didn't see the pci slot holes sealed up :O

I'll try and answer in an organized fashion, so many good questions. :)

1. I wadded up the aluminum foil because, the pennies so conveniently left a nice gap right where the metal of the CPU would fit in, thus not making good enough contact. The foil would act as a temporary sink to help quickly transfer the heat through the copper, to the wine chiller.

2. The BIOS does not support temperature viewing, but I promise, if I somehow get better computer parts from donations or generous friends, or if I get a second job (haha) I will get more heat mongering components that have a built in temperature gauge.

3. For the accurate temperature, I take it in 2 places. One, the case temperature, and secondly, an air thermometer that touches the base of the copper tubing just a hair's breath above the CPU itself, which reads out at 90 degrees F, 2 degrees cooler than the air in the room. *Sigh* No air conditioner there, heh.

4. Its sealed from the inside, I used clear silicon, so its difficult to make out. Though, maybe the footage you saw was mid-way through, where at that time I did not have it sealed. But, in the final scene it is all sealed up either with packing tape and super glue, or silicon.

Hope this helps! Glad to see questions.

I am going to try this with a thunderbird, 1.2GHz and my mini fridge. I'm not much of a reader... did you just stick one end of the pipe in the wine cooler's wine area or was it into the compressor?

I am going to try this with a thunderbird, 1.2GHz and my mini fridge. I'm not much of a reader... did you just stick one end of the pipe in the wine cooler's wine area or was it into the compressor?

I hear ya, :P All I did was make a joint out of the copper with some elbows, insulate it, and route it through the thick door with grommets on both ends. The pipe just is in the center about 1/2 inch away from the wall of the wine chiller, it didn't go into a compressor or anything.

Good luck, and I look forward to viewing your results! :)

I am amazed at the simplicity of this idea. I hope it turns out good. Ideas are already rushing through my head... This would be hard to mount...make my comp immobile... I think I'll be able to get started later this week. Let me know if you make any progress.

I am amazed at the simplicity of this idea. I hope it turns out good. Ideas are already rushing through my head... This would be hard to mount...make my comp immobile... I think I'll be able to get started later this week. Let me know if you make any progress.

Will do!

The beauty though, if you see the end of the video, it kind of illustrates how mobile it is. I'll try and express it here. The computer itself is screwed to the plywood, and the joints/copper are mounted to the case side panel, but the wine chiller is just industrial Velcro. All I need to do, if I wish to change a part is lift up the wine chiller at and angle, unscrew the side panel screw, slide it off and away I go!

Maybe I can get companies to possibly donate parts to me, heh. I'm a wishful thinker, what can I say.