Copper Heatsink On The Rocks

Just thought that all you overclockers out there might enjoy a new project that I have just recently finished entitled: Copper Heatsink on the Rocks. This play on words makes reference to a computer being passively cooled with a wine chiller.

Pros:

-Dust free (sealed completely)

-Easy to remove cover

-No moving parts, no fans, all passive (minus the one PSU fan, I couldn't afford a passive PSU)

-Pure copper insulated heatsink that is counter-cooled by a wine chiller at 41 degrees F, allows for much OC'ing

-Currently at 91 degrees F after leaving on for 1 whole day, still counting, with no flubs (heat measured from the copper closest to the CPU itself)

I have not OC'd it yet, but eventually will after viewing how stable it is after 1 week.

To view the video, tutorial, details, pictures, etc, go here: http://www.leetupload.com/tutorials/copper...nkon_the_rocks/

Hope all of you enjoy! Comments are quite welcome.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

destroy pennies = illegal fyi

But nice work anyway. Try a modern system ... ehhh... 91F can be achieved by most decent systems\coolers at stock voltage... so... what dose this do?

Edited by coolcat97

I couldn't really make out what processor it is that you are cooling with that thing in the video.

What is it?

I'm slightly sceptical of the cooling potential myself.

From what I can tell it's just a hollow copper pipe, there isn't anything inside it?

Edited by jammin

I couldn't really make out what processor it is that you are cooling with that thing in the video.

What is it?

Looks like an Athlon/XP/Duron/Sempron of sorts. The pads on each of the corners is a good indicator that it's not a PIII, but I have seen a few people put them on there. The SMD ceramic capacitors on two sides of the core also hint at something from the K7 family. Then of course the offset large lettering above the capictors is also a hint. And you can also faintly see the bridges on, in that pic, the right side. Also, the core is obviously rectangular in shape; s370 PIIIs have relatively square dies and have a prominent blue tint.

I'm certain it's something from AMD's K7 family.

It states "Intel" at the top. Either way, I realize that the heat dispersed by the CPU is not great (it is about 1.3ghz or so, Dell Dimension) but my "buying" potential is somewhat limited at the moment. This is just a dry run of my theory, I will purchase more sophisticated parts later.

But let me put it this way, the room is 92 degrees, and the temperature of the pipe towards the base after running for a day is 90 degrees. So far so good, those CPU's should go above such a temperature if left on for quite some time. It was my friend's Dell Dimension from early 2001, he was kind enough to donate it to "science."

I will be sure to let you know if/when I acquire higher-end heat raging parts.

And yes, I do realize that defacing U.S. legal tender is illegal... I think we will all live. :) But I do appreciate the conversation this has started, I really like the feedback.

Oh, by the way, that CPU in the pic was just random, at the time I thought that the motherboard was going to be AMD socket based. For more information about what the parts looked like, etc. please watch the video.

Edited by leetupload

Athlons were never on Socket 7. Earliest slocket was Slot A, then it went to Socket A.

lol... yeah Socket A (462), K7... i have a 2500+ barton and tried out the zalman flower on it just a few days ago, but the K7 silent boost lapped is better...

It is not illegal to deface United States currency if you keep it for personal reasons...

I can go get $100 in pennies and cut them up into a bunch of pieces, it is not illegal.

I can go get $100 in dollar bills and burn every single on of them, it is not illegal.

The way it becomes illegal is if I try to use the "altered" product in another manner,such as melting down the pennies to make copper ingots or bars.

Its just an Urban Myth... -_-