Trying to reduce heat in my room

I'm getting a little sick of the heat added to my room by my computer. I'm starting to contemplate underclocking my computer. Thing is, I don't know how to overclock let alone underclock.

When I first got my new motherboard I downloaded software from Asus. The program allowed me to set my cpu speeds easily from within Windows and allowed me to maintain the sound of my CPU fan which was drivng me nuts at night. Long story short, the program worked well until it started crashing my computer every so often. I upgraded my CPU fan and since then I haven't needed any maintenance on my CPU.

I'm wondering if there's a reliable program that will allow me to underclock my computer. If not, is there a manual process anyone can walk me thru to underclock my computer?

If you have an AMD system, you can try enabling the Cool n' Quiet feature in the motherboard BIOS (SpeedStep on an Intel based system). Download the appropriate driver for your OS to utilize that feature. I enable mine only during the summer because there is a side effect. While it can jump from an underclock in an idle state to normal clock speeds on load, it sometimes doesn't speed up in time when you load a game. I've had a few games freeze because of it. But really, I have noticed a small difference in temperature in my room.

It would help if we knew what the specs are for your PC.....mobo, cpu, memory, video card, power supply and you current settings....you know that kind of stuff....then maybe we could help you out B:)

Underclock? Don't be absurd! :lol:

As Fueler implies, there may well be other options that you can take before resorting to making your computer slower

I'd mod my room (or move house) before I underclocked my computer(s)

It would help if we knew what the specs are for your PC.....mobo, cpu, memory, video card, power supply and you current settings....you know that kind of stuff....then maybe we could help you out B:)

I downloaded CPU-Z and screenshotted my system's information.

CPU

Cache

Mainboard

Memory

SPD x4

The stuff that doesn't seem to be shown on CPU-Z are,

Video card: ATI AIW 9600

Power supply: Enermax EG465P-VE v1.2

I don't recall changing any settings.

BIOS > Advanced Options > AI Overclocking = Manual

that reveals the necessary controls for CPU/FSB/RAM speed

also, you have to undervolt the CPU to reduce heat significantly... a speed decrease will barely do anything to reduce the heat... changing speed and voltage for a CPU is pretty much the same process as overclocking, except you'd decrease the speed, then decrease the vCore and test for stability on the low speed and core...

having your processor fixed at a low speed seems a bit overkill though, I'd try to get the AI Booster software thing working, maybe you can raise the minimum vCore to prevent instability?

I can make my opteron 175 (2.2 stock, 2.77 OC) run at 800MHz, but its just as hot. I think you need to slowly lower your voltages and go back to stock speeds.

EDIT: lower*

Edited by coolcat97

Ok so the main idea is to reduce voltage... Less current flowing through the system, less heat generated... I understand that.

So... How do I go about doing this safely without destroying my computer? I'm afraid of memory errors that may come up if there's not enough power :S

Drop the voltage a tiny bit on your cpu and maybe underclock your video card as it tends to run a heck of a lot hotter than your cpu. But before you do any of that, why not just shut your computer off if you're not going to be using it or at least put it to sleep? I find it really weird that your computer is heating up your room so much. Mine has been on for the past 2 weeks solid and the temp in my room is always within 1-2c of 22c and my room has crap ventilation. A tiny duct and my door, the latter of which is almost always closed. There could be other factors at play here...you know like the sun and the heat that it generates being shot at your room which is facing the sun for most of the day...

I have the same problem. However, I agree with hardnrg. Why turn your computer down just because of heat? Compensate. Get a window AC unit new or used and put that in the bedroom you are using your computer. Else, at least get a fan to blow some of the air around so it isn't concentrated at one spot in the room. The increased heat will be more tolerable and it'll be better for your computer.