What methods do you use to lap your stuff?

After posting this question on another thread I though that I would start my own. I am thinking of lapping my E6600 and was wondering, out of all of the different methods that people choose to use, what is the most tested and best way? Go ahead and do a search for it and you will find a bunch of different opinions. The kits at Frozen CPU and Xoxide have instructions, but I like to hear from people that have done it successfully in the past, unlike myself.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start off with a fairly low grit wet+dry paper, and work my way up. I like to use silicone spray lube on it :)

Edit: :lol: I hit post and hardnrg appears... I say moo?

Also, I usually end up at 1200/1500 grit :)

the kits you get usually only have a 1/4 sheet of each grit... it's enough for one or two bad heatsinks, but then you're done...

go get a multipack of varying grits wet/dry silicone carbide paper from an auto parts store, usually you have to get a "special pack" for the higher grits like >800... in the end, buying these packs is a lot better value for money and you'll be able to lap all sorts of heatsinks, ramsinks, waterblocks; and prep case panels, mice, keyboards... not just do one heatsink and then the paper is all worn and ripped

I find using a few drops of dishwashing liquid, shower gel, or something like that, makes the heatsink glide a little easier during the lapping than doing it with plain water

the kits you get usually only have a 1/4 sheet of each grit... it's enough for one or two bad heatsinks, but then you're done...

go get a multipack of varying grits wet/dry silicone carbide paper from an auto parts store, usually you have to get a "special pack" for the higher grits like >800... in the end, buying these packs is a lot better value for money and you'll be able to lap all sorts of heatsinks, ramsinks, waterblocks; and prep case panels, mice, keyboards... not just do one heatsink and then the paper is all worn and ripped

I find using a few drops of dishwashing liquid, shower gel, or something like that, makes the heatsink glide a little easier during the lapping than doing it with plain water

What direction do you move the surface over the paper?

Keyboards and mice. :rolleyes:

I'm nervous about lapping the IHS on my CPU, but I really want to try it. I may get a lapping kit. I have seen kits go up to 2000 grit.

So, nrg, you go fw/bw 10 times on four or five passes, and then move on to the next grit and do the same? My HSF is pretty mirror finish out of the box, so I will prabably leave it alone.

I'm nervous about lapping the IHS on my CPU, but I really want to try it. I may get a lapping kit. I have seen kits go up to 2000 grit.

So, nrg, you go fw/bw 10 times on four or five passes, and then move on to the next grit and do the same? My HSF is pretty mirror finish out of the box, so I will prabably leave it alone.

Well, I bought a kit from www.easypckits.com and it worked well with my Ultra-120. The only problem I had was the HS catching the paper and "skipping" occassionally because there's so much weight near the top. I was using water at the time, though I'll have to try dish soap for my future lapping adventures.

If you use hardnrg's method (and I think you should), use the first grit until you're down to the copper. Then use the next grit until all the scratches/lines from the previous grit are gone. And so on. You might see a benefit from lapping your HS too. Hold the base against a piece of graph paper or a screen to see how flat it really is.

EDIT: Hmmm... I should refresh before I start replying...

Edited by Bleeble

Man, there are a lot of people on that thread that i haven't seen for a long time. Awesome lap job, though. What would you suggest for a C2D IHS?

Read my experiences w/ a q6600 here. Get wet/dry high quality sand paper. Cut it into thin strips and tape the strips down to a piece of glass or mirror (something flat). Lap using front-to-back motions with minimal pressure; let the sandpaper do the work and remember: the key is FLAT. You can do about 20-30 strokes, then rotate 90

I also like to stick down sheets with a bit of spray mount on some scrap (but perfectly flat) wood... helps get a nice even finish.

I thought that I would get a nice flat peace of tampered glass, not too big, you know. Just right. I am just wondering how things would differ when lapping an IHS rather than a HSF. Seriously, my HSF is mirror finished; I could shave in it.