Switched from WPA to WEP for Tivo...problems

airman

Hey all - i've got a linksys wrt54g (version 5 or 6) with the dd-wrt firmware. for the last several months i've been using WPA encryption and security for my network. yesterday, i got a tivo, and i don't believe it supports wpa. i have the wireless dongle thing so it can get on the net and stuff. so the Tivo works, but my laptop doesn't. basically what happens, it sees the network, and takes forever to connect to it. once it does say it's connected, it still doesn't have an ip address, and then the network disappears from the "visible" wireless networks. also, it never asks me for a wep key or passphrase or anything.

what does this mean? i know that i want some sort of security, at least to protect against war-drivers. the only other option i see since i don't believe the tivo supports wpa, is to do a mac id filter if i can't find a solution for my laptop's security. i really doubt it DOESN'T support it, as it is only a year old. had it custom-built at cyberpower and it's been great so far. considering it supports wpa, i have a feeling it should support wep.

thoughts?