Howto: Overclock C2Q (quads) And C2D (duals) - A Guide V1.7

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is it safe to go past my RAM's rated clock? i'm using OCZ DDR1333 7-7-7-20 Platinum edition, and read that some people have set it to 1600 6-6-6-18. Is it safe to do this? Should I bump my Q6600 fsb to 400 and get it stable first, or should I bump up the RAM and CPU fsb at the same time?

Also, what is with the VID on my Q6600? I see that others is pretty low, but mine is 1.325. Is it that some motherboards might require different voltages for the processor than others?

Edited by malmsteenisgod

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is it safe to go past my RAM's rated clock? i'm using OCZ DDR1333 7-7-7-20 Platinum edition, and read that some people have set it to 1600 6-6-6-18. Is it safe to do this? Should I bump my Q6600 fsb to 400 and get it stable first, or should I bump up the RAM and CPU fsb at the same time?

Also, what is with the VID on my Q6600? I see that others is pretty low, but mine is 1.325. Is it that some motherboards might require different voltages for the processor than others?

As for your memory, OCZ can go pretty high in some setups but you may need to up the voltage past the recommended specs. I think your Memory is covered under lifetime warranty up to 1.95 Vdimm, same as mine. (one reason I love OCZ). I would get the FSB as high as you're happy with, then see how high you can push the dimms. I wouldn't go too much past 2.0 Vdimms though. If it starts becoming unstable just back it off a bit at a time.

Oh, and my 1st post here! Great guide and nice to find this place! :thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great guide !!! Putting my system together this weekend, never overclocked before but now understand what its all about thanks to this guide :thumbs-up:

Nice refresher update read for me. Thanks!

Ill say its been a while since I messed with Oc'ing and building a new rig, lol

Welcome back; your last visit was: Apr 17 2005, 09:25 PM

Lol @ my sig.

Edited by Stoner