Howto: Overclock C2Q (quads) And C2D (duals) - A Guide V1.7

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does it matter what type of motherboard do you have to overcloak? Because the one that i might be getting is a ASUS P5N-SLI and was wondering if it matter what type of motherboard can or cannot be O/C?

Secondly can you tell me what should i have like the requirements/equipments.

I know that mine would have 3GB ram and a good cooling system anything else?

Does it matter what type of motherboard do you have to overcloak? Because the one that i might be getting is a ASUS P5N-SLI and was wondering if it matter what type of motherboard can or cannot be O/C?

Secondly can you tell me what should i have like the requirements/equipments.

I know that mine would have 3GB ram and a good cooling system anything else?

I dunno about the P5N-SLI, but I would think it'd be fine. There is a short list of of recommended hardware types in the first few paragraphs of the guide. Once you get it put together you'll just have to try and see how far you can push it.

I dunno about the P5N-SLI, but I would think it'd be fine. There is a short list of of recommended hardware types in the first few paragraphs of the guide. Once you get it put together you'll just have to try and see how far you can push it.

How about the Gigabyte X38-DS4 Instead?

• 2 weeks later...

hi i followed your guide and whenever i overclock my cpu it doesn't start up? :(

it is stuck at 2.00ghz(x2) and that is really annoying seeing as i was hoping to play crysis on it and it wont play. even if i only increase the fsb by 1 it just doesn't turn on, i have increased the fsb on the ram from 800 to 900 and that is fine but the possessor....

spec:

cpu; E4400 @2.00ghz X2

gpu; 600watts

ram;pc6400

grafix card; 512mb sapphire x1650pro

m/b; abit fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI(C55-MCP51)

thanks

Edited by joshuam511

hi i followed your guide and whenever i overclock my cpu it doesn't start up? :(

it is stuck at 2.00ghz(x2) and that is really annoying seeing as i was hoping to play crysis on it and it wont play. even if i only increase the fsb by 1 it just doesn't turn on, i have increased the fsb on the ram from 800 to 900 and that is fine but the possessor....

spec:

cpu; E4400 @2.00ghz X2

ram; 600watts

grafix card; 512mb sapphire x1650pro

m/b; abit fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI(C55-MCP51)

thanks

Can you provide us with some addition info? What multiplier and FSB? What are your vcores set to and what is your memory set to? What kind of memory do you have?

Version 1.6.1 is up. Totally re-wrote the section on memory which now includes a discussion on both DDR2/DDR3 and formulas you can use to calculate max supported FSB of a given module based on it's DDRX-Y and PCX-Y designations. Also re-ordered the first part of the guide.

right graysky

cpu fsb:800mhz

multiplier:x10[it is locked at that]

vcore:1.2v to 1.35 [vcore is the cpu voltage isn't it?]

ram:1x1gb of adata 800mhz ddr2 1.8v [i have a second module but vista 32bit wont take more than 3.5gb ]and 2x1gb of geil 800mhz ddr2 1.8v both at 5-5-5-18-23

if it is good iam just about [as in - i am holding] to install a freezer 7 pro cpu cooler

thanks

if more information is needed i can add more

right graysky

cpu fsb:800mhz

multiplier:x10[it is locked at that]

vcore:1.2v to 1.35 [vcore is the cpu voltage isn't it?]

ram:1x1gb of adata 800mhz ddr2 1.8v [i have a second module but vista 32bit wont take more than 3.5gb ]and 2x1gb of geil 800mhz ddr2 1.8v both at 5-5-5-18-23

if it is good iam just about [as in - i am holding] to install a freezer 7 pro cpu cooler

thanks

if more information is needed i can add more

Sorry dude, is there a question in there? You 10x multiplier isn't locked... if it's a q6700, it's 10x max, but you can dial it down to 6x if you want.

Hey guys....

Just set up a Q6700 and a Asus P5E-VM HDMI board and going to clock it up....

I have been a long time AMD clocker and have gotten very good clocks with the AM2 dual cores (3.6ghz is the highest so far without much hardcore tweaking)

but, being the price dropped on the Q6700s I just couldnt resist...so I grabbed some G-Skill ddr2-1066 (2x1gig) and I am off and running...so far so good..on a Zalman 9700 I am seeing 20c temps in the bios and will check more later one...