Overclocking GA-965P-DS3 (Bios settings)

Zarius

These questions are very specific to the 965P-DS3 so hopefully someone out there using this board knows the bios well and has done alot of overclocking with it. I appologize in advance for the length of this post but I'm sort of out of my league here and don't want to risk messing up my system.

I'm looking for a bit of assistance in overclocking my system. I've been building systems for a very long time, but this is the first time in all my years that I'm going to give overclocking a try. (Partly because in the past I've bought cheap systems so overclocking on subpar power supplies, heatsinks, fans and memory wasn't overly viable if I wanted to maintain stability).

Before I get into my questions about overclocking in the BIOS here are my current system specs.

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Revision 3.3 running BIOS F11

2GB Corsair PC6400C DDR2 Memory (4-4-4-12 rating) (matched pair)

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink with 120mm Scythe Fan

2 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Drives in RAID 0

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Video Card

Basically I'm hoping someone can suggest the correct settings for the features below: (these settings are all from within the MB Intelligetn Tweaker (M.I.T.) settings in the bios (with CNTRL F1 enabled for the extra features). Although it could probably go higher I'm hoping to run the system stable around 3.2GHz so I'm basing my numbers on that.

Items in [ ] are the current values.

1. Robust Graphics Booster: [Auto]

Has anyone played much with this feature, will I get an advantage given my above components if I change this to Fast, or Turbo?

2. CPU Clock Ratio: [9 x]

I assume even when overclocking I should leave this multiplier the same?

3. CPU Host Clock Control: [Disabled]

Will need to enable to modify next setting.

4. CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): [266]

Would I be correct in simply adjusting this to 366Mhz if I want to try to achieve 3.2GHz? 366x9?

5. PCI Express Frequency: [Auto]

No idea what this does, should I modify this or am I better off leaving this alone?

6. C.I.A.2: [Disabled]

Should I modify this setting. Available are Cruise, Sports, Racing, Turbo, Full Thrust. I'm guessing I should probably leave it to disabled if I'm manually overclocking the CPU Host clock control?

7. System Memory Multiplier (SPD): [Auto]

Should I modify this number? Options are Auto, 2.00, 2.50, 3.00, 2.66, 3.33, 4.0+

I have no clue if Auto is sufficient or if I need to manually modify this.

8. High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: Currently Set to Option 1

Option 2 is available as well but there doesn't appear to be a description

9. DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): Currently Set to Auto

It appears I need to change this to manual if I want to change my memory settings.

10. CAS Latency Time: Currently shows 5 [Auto]

Should this be set to 4 since my memory is 4-4-4-12 or is this something else?

11. DRAM RAS# and CAS# Delay: 5 [Auto]

Once again 4? or I'm off base again?

12. DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 [Auto]

Set to 4?

13. Precharge delay(tRAS): 18 [Auto]

Should this be set to 12?

14. ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD) 3 [Auto]

Just leave on auto?

15. Rank Write to READ Delay: 3 [Auto]

Leave on auto?

16. Write to Precharge Delay: 6 [Auto]

Leave on Auto?

17. Refresh to ACT Delay: 42 [0]

Leave as is on 0?

18. Read to Precharge Delay: 3 [Auto]

Leave on Auto?

19. Memory Perforamance Enhance: [Normal]

Options are Normal, Fast, Turbo. Should I just leave it on Normal or would anyone recommend changing it?

20. System Voltage Contorl: [Auto]

I need to change this to manual if I need to modify the voltage settings below:

21. DDR2 OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

Options are +0.1, +0.2, +0.3, +0.4, (then flashing in red are +0.5, 0.6, and 0.7)

Which should I use, normal?

22. PCI-E OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

Options are Normal, +0.1, +0.2, +0.3

Leave this one on normal?

23. FSB OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

Options are +0.1, +0.2, +0.3

Leave on normal?

24. (G)MCH OverVoltage Control: [Normal]

Options +0.1, +0.2, +0.3V

Leave on Normal?

25. CPU Voltage Control: [Normal]

Says Normal CPU Vcore is 1.32500V

I assume I should up this in order to maintain stability when overclocking but I have no idea what value I should change it too...

Hopefully someone can make some informed suggestions for me, and if not then I'll just have to start trying different settings and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance,

Zarius.

Thanks for the links guys I definately found those useful. As you can see from my sig which I've added, I've got things up and running and have the system OC'd. I was tempted to run higher, but after reading about the heat issues in one of the articles with the MCH if overclocking beyond 333 on the FSB, I decided to take it to 3.0GHz and leave it there.

I'd still like to go higher but not sure if I want to try and figure out how to get a sink/fan on the MCH.

(taken from one of the articles) If you intend to do serious overclocking start the process now to get a fan on the MCH. Screw it on, hot melt glue, tye wraps, whatever. You must cool the MCH for reliable FSB's over 333.

Anyhow thanks again guys, that really helped out. I've got a bit more testing to do, but so far the temps seem really low and the performance and stability is great, not to mention the system is running very quiet!

Regards,

Zarius.

Edited by Zarius

Bleeble,

I notice in your sig that you are running 9x400, did you add extra cooling to the MCH, or did you find everything stable with no issue while keeping the MCH stock? (I'm just curious with my low temps if I could pull off higher than 333Mhz without extra cooling, and not fry the MCH in the long run) Also curious are you running the system memory multiplier by 2 to hit 800 or you just put the 800 in your sig because it's the default? I would assume you aren't running 2.5, but I'm not sure how much memory can be pushed... (I need to run some memtest-86 yet as I haven't done it)

Regards,

Zarius.

Really wish I could help you as I have Same proc and Mobo.

But I can't because my case is abnormal. I was only able to get to 3.41 Ghz and only on crazy voltages and even then its not SMP Stable.

Bleeble,

I notice in your sig that you are running 9x400, did you add extra cooling to the MCH, or did you find everything stable with no issue while keeping the MCH stock? (I'm just curious with my low temps if I could pull off higher than 333Mhz without extra cooling, and not fry the MCH in the long run) Also curious are you running the system memory multiplier by 2 to hit 800 or you just put the 800 in your sig because it's the default? I would assume you aren't running 2.5, but I'm not sure how much memory can be pushed... (I need to run some memtest-86 yet as I haven't done it)

Regards,

Zarius.

I originally had a 120mm fan pointing at the northbridge heatsink. That worked well enough to keep things stable and temperatures reasonable. I eventually upgraded to a Thermalright HR-05 SLI. See this post for some pics. As long as you keep your NB cool, you can use as much voltage and run it as fast as you want. I'm actually running the memory at DDR2-800. I'd run it faster but it doesn't OC worth crap. My vDIMM is set to 2.2V. Personally, I wouldn't suggest using anything above 2.5V as it will fry your RAM relatively quickly. Have I answered your questions?

I originally had a 120mm fan pointing at the northbridge heatsink. That worked well enough to keep things stable and temperatures reasonable. I eventually upgraded to a Thermalright HR-05 SLI. See this post for some pics. As long as you keep your NB cool, you can use as much voltage and run it as fast as you want. I'm actually running the memory at DDR2-800. I'd run it faster but it doesn't OC worth crap. My vDIMM is set to 2.2V. Personally, I wouldn't suggest using anything above 2.5V as it will fry your RAM relatively quickly. Have I answered your questions?

Yes thanks Bleeble, that pretty much covers what I was looking for. There is no way I could get that sink in next to my Ultra 120 Extreme though, and I don't want to switch to liquid, so I think I'll stick with my current setup. I was hoping for more than 3.0GHz, but it's stable where it is and I don't want to risk frying my northbridge. I guess I'll just continue tweaking memory settings and voltages and work on my GeForce settings with Rivatuner and call it a day when I get everything stabilized with the best preformance I can get at 3.0GHz. (well it's stable so far, but I'm sure I can still get a bit better test scores teawking the speed I've already got)

Best Regards,

Zarius.

Yes thanks Bleeble, that pretty much covers what I was looking for. There is no way I could get that sink in next to my Ultra 120 Extreme though, and I don't want to switch to liquid, so I think I'll stick with my current setup. I was hoping for more than 3.0GHz, but it's stable where it is and I don't want to risk frying my northbridge. I guess I'll just continue tweaking memory settings and voltages and work on my GeForce settings with Rivatuner and call it a day when I get everything stabilized with the best preformance I can get at 3.0GHz. (well it's stable so far, but I'm sure I can still get a bit better test scores teawking the speed I've already got)

Best Regards,

Zarius.

Your northbridge will be fine. If your worried either replace the stock cooler on it, or stick a fan on it like I did.

Don't be afraid to push that Proc. Most people, like bleeble are getting those types of clocks. 3.3 to 3.6 Ghz is pretty standard.

Especially since you haven't had to increase the vcore that much. (To the current clock)

Your northbridge will be fine. If your worried either replace the stock cooler on it, or stick a fan on it like I did.

Don't be afraid to push that Proc. Most people, like bleeble are getting those types of clocks. 3.3 to 3.6 Ghz is pretty standard.

Especially since you haven't had to increase the vcore that much. (To the current clock)

I'll maybe see if I can rig up a fan and hope for the best. What is the easiest way to monitor the temp on the northbridge, I haven't seen anything in the BIOS that monitors the temp, and thus my concern as I have no idea what temp it's running at.

I'll maybe go for 3.3GHz then and see what happens, the only problem with that is that unless memory can be significantly overclocked, I'll be stuck running at 2.0 for the system memory multiplier (366x9) so that will only give me 732 on the memory. 2.5 would take it up to 915, which is getting pretty high... Would I get better performance running the memory at 732 and the clock at 366. (I'll have to test both and see, but I'm assuming the faster memory would be better for gaming etc?, correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a total newb to OC'ing)

Thanks for the advice, I'm learning, although slowly hehe.

Regards,

Zarius.

I'll maybe see if I can rig up a fan and hope for the best. What is the easiest way to monitor the temp on the northbridge, I haven't seen anything in the BIOS that monitors the temp, and thus my concern as I have no idea what temp it's running at.

I'll maybe go for 3.3GHz then and see what happens, the only problem with that is that unless memory can be significantly overclocked, I'll be stuck running at 2.0 for the system memory multiplier (366x9) so that will only give me 732 on the memory. 2.5 would take it up to 915, which is getting pretty high... Would I get better performance running the memory at 732 and the clock at 366. (I'll have to test both and see, but I'm assuming the faster memory would be better for gaming etc?, correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a total newb to OC'ing)

Thanks for the advice, I'm learning, although slowly hehe.

Regards,

Zarius.

I believe it's referred to as "System Temperature" in the BIOS. You can use the latest version of Speedfan (4.32) to monitor all your temps. There are plenty of other chipset heatsinks available. You can find ones that will sit below the fins of your Ultra-120 and still do a good job cooling. But simply pointing a fan at the stock HS will lower your temps significantly. Just set in on your video card or prop it up on some cables, that's what I did.

I think you might be able to run your RAM at 915MHz with a small voltage boost. There's a chance it uses Micron D9 chips. Try loosening the timings and increase the vDIMM, just don't go above 2.5V (+.7) or you risk frying your RAM. You should be able to get 400x9 without too much trouble. As Ste said, 3.6GHz is really only "average" for an E6600.

Edited by Bleeble