Help a Noob install esata please :)

chomorro

I have the Vantec Nexstar 3 Esata enclosure http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Vantec%20Nexstar%203/ and a 400gb Sata Seagate Baracuda drive. I am using windows xp home with the latest service packs. I have the drive and it works perfect using USB, everything reads and writes great. I installed the supplied esata adapter and connect my drive while windows is up and it freezes, if i disconnect the drive windows goes back to normal. I tried turning on the drive and rebooting and it will get to the windows loading screen and freeze, then crash. Any suggestions?? If i plug everything in USB it works perfect but the whole reason i wanted this was so i could use esata. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have the exact same enclosure! When I connect mine using the eSATA windows freezes for about a mili second, where everything stops, then it carries right on and detects the drive.

Have you tried a different SATA port to connect the bracket too? Or tried connecting the drive directly to a SATA port?

I have the exact same enclosure! When I connect mine using the eSATA windows freezes for about a mili second, where everything stops, then it carries right on and detects the drive.

Have you tried a different SATA port to connect the bracket too? Or tried connecting the drive directly to a SATA port?

Ohhhhhh so about how long does it take to detect the drive?? I let it sit for about 30 seconds to a minute and its still frozen, i even have the jumper on the drive setup to limit 1.5gb transfer speeds because of my old MB. Did you have to install raid again with a windows cd or anything special like that?? your my only hope man no one else seems to know anything about this :(.

No I only have 2 sata ports on my MB unfortunately, i havent tried plugging the esata adapter into the main port i use for my internal. I will try it and see what happens.

HOWEVER I got frustrated and i wanted to do a fresh install and i connected my new seagate up to the same sata port my old drive is in now everything plugged in the same even the power, and when i went to install windows i pressed f6 did the raid controller install and after it started to load win installation it said no hard drives detected... So it wont even detect the drive for some reason i tried both ports and nothing. But my drive works perfectly using USB, so im confused.

Like I said, it only takes a split second if not less before it detects the drive. There is a micro second of freeze, then loads the drive.

Take the eSATA bracket and drive to another PC with SATA and try the drive there. IF it works there, its something to do with your mobo.

If it dosent, then it might be the cable, the Enclosures eSATA port, or the drive...