OCC News: CoolIT Systems Cooled Crossfire Breaks 20k in 3DMark06

OCC News Post

100x20-digg-button.gif

In this video from CoolIT, they overclock the new ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with their new Reference Series liquid cooling system. The results speak for themselves, with the two cards in crossfire scoring 20,016 in 3DMark 06. This is up from the score with the cards running at stock speeds of 17,405. As for the overclock, the cards were pushed to a core speed of 950Mhz and a memory speed of 980Mhz. Impressive, no?

The system is on display at Computex in Tapei this week and goes hand in hand with a press release to announce the new product.

Geoff Lyon, CEO of CoolIT Systems comments "By working together with AMD, we've been able to create an advanced liquid cooling system with the ability to effectively and quietly dissipate a tremendous amount of heat and will allow the performance computing community to achieve previously unattainable performance while maintaining safe, stable temperatures. The universally compatible compact form factor fits in a dual 5
Edited by sdy284

The one-piece heatsink and low profile design are pretty cool, but I'm still skeptical of Cool-It from some of the reports I've seen on the cpu coolers.

I think this sort of thing will get more popular though, as people start to realize how incredibly hot two high end cards can get when put in such close proximity.

Yeah, I think the main reason 2900XT clock speeds weren't bumped higher in the first place was because of heat and power issues.

I have heard that once you start to ramp them up the power figures start to balloon considerably.

It does mean there should be plenty of headroom if you're prepared to use some serious cooling, as we can see here.