E6600 overclocking & temperture problem

I have to set my vCore at 1.55. When you look in my EVGA BIOS it shows that my manual vCore is 1.55, but the actual is 1.51. I am trusting what it says the "actual" is. This is not uncommon.

Semi-related question. The newest Speedfan shows voltages and temps for the new chipsets?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to set my vCore at 1.55. When you look in my EVGA BIOS it shows that my manual vCore is 1.55, but the actual is 1.51. I am trusting what it says the "actual" is. This is not uncommon.

Semi-related question. The newest Speedfan shows voltages and temps for the new chipsets?

My CPU will not run on any other Vcore setting except for the manual selection of Vcore @1.6, "actual" 1.55 Vcore in Bios and Everest. The Vcore of 1.55v is giving me 3.6GHz 8x450 FSB, Ram @900MHz 4-4-4-12 @2.25v with temps using TAT 43c-42c @idle. Load is differant depending on which stress test program I'm running. My CPU is a voltage PIG! Like using TAT with 85% test load I get 64c-66c max, you think thats safe where I'm at now. Should I fold my cards and lower my hole OC or is where I'm at look right? :unsure:

Edited by Systemlord

1.6V? That's a really high vCore. When you've been saying 1.55 I thought you meant that's what you set it at in your BIOS. I still think you need to loosen you memory timings and increase vDIMM, vFSB, and vMCH. You don't have to max them out, just bump it up a notch or two. If your RAM or NB is causing the instability, it doesn't matter how much voltage you feed your CPU. It will still be unstable.

Speedfan shows both voltages and temps for my mobo (P965 chipset). Personally, I'd never trust any voltage reported by software... The temps are good though, right on par with TAT and CoreTemp.

1.6V? That's a really high vCore. When you've been saying 1.55 I thought you meant that's what you set it at in your BIOS. I still think you need to loosen you memory timings and increase vDIMM, vFSB, and vMCH. You don't have to max them out, just bump it up a notch or two. If your RAM or NB is causing the instability, it doesn't matter how much voltage you feed your CPU. It will still be unstable.

Speedfan shows both voltages and temps for my mobo (P965 chipset). Personally, I'd never trust any voltage reported by software... The temps are good though, right on par with TAT and CoreTemp.

My temps will become an issue if I go any higher in my Vcore setting, I'm already at my limit as far as Vcore, temps. If I'm at my thermal limit on my Vcore/temps how is loosenning my timings going to help?In that Core 2 temp guide at Tom's Hardware it says that 1.5-.1.55 is as far as you shloud go, but then says 1.6 for watercooling. You think by upping my NB, FSB volts is going to lower my Vcore?

My temps will become an issue if I go any higher in my Vcore setting, I'm already at my limit as far as Vcore, temps. If I'm at my thermal limit on my Vcore/temps how is loosenning my timings going to help?In that Core 2 temp guide at Tom's Hardware it says that 1.5-.1.55 is as far as you shloud go, but then says 1.6 for watercooling. You think by upping my NB, FSB volts is going to lower my Vcore?

No, but I think that your processor is not what's holding you back. Increasing voltage in one area can affect others. With my old IC7, having a higher AGP voltage allowed me to OC farther. That means you might need higher vCore to make up for your low chipset and RAM voltages. The reason I keep repeating myself is because I honestly believe it will help.

The reason that the TH guide says 1.5-1.55 is the limit is because vCore has a huge affect on temperatures. Generally, after that point, regular air cooling just can't dissipate enough heat to keep the CPU at a reasonable temperature. The limit for water cooling is higher because WC is considerably more efficient at cooling than air. But I never said to raise your vCore past 1.55, did I?

No, but I think that your processor is not what's holding you back. Increasing voltage in one area can affect others. With my old IC7, having a higher AGP voltage allowed me to OC farther. That means you might need higher vCore to make up for your low chipset and RAM voltages. The reason I keep repeating myself is because I honestly believe it will help.

The reason that the TH guide says 1.5-1.55 is the limit is because vCore has a huge affect on temperatures. Generally, after that point, regular air cooling just can't dissipate enough heat to keep the CPU at a reasonable temperature. The limit for water cooling is higher because WC is considerably more efficient at cooling than air. But I never said to raise your vCore past 1.55, did I?

Two days ago I started over at 400x8 , I slowly raise FSB volts, CPU Vcore, or NB volts everytime Orthos failed. I started with a CPU Vcore of 1.45, and everytime I failed Orthos instead of just raising the CPU Vcore everytime I raised either FSB volts, or the NB volts. After I failed I would raise the NB volts and then tested again and if I failed again then It had to be the FSB volts. So now I'm at NB 1.5v, FSB 1.4v & CPU 1.45v. 24 hours stable. My Ram stays at 2.2 for now. I've heard that when your in the middle of an overclock that your supposed to burn it there for a few days to break new components in then up the FSB later is this true? Where should I go from here as I am new at this.

post-21756-1181891474_thumb.png

Edited by Systemlord

Two days ago I started over at 400x8 , I slowly raise FSB volts, CPU Vcore, or NB volts everytime Orthos failed. I started with a CPU Vcore of 1.45, and everytime I failed Orthos instead of just raising the CPU Vcore everytime I raised either FSB volts, or the NB volts. After I failed I would raise the NB volts and then tested again and if I failed again then It had to be the FSB volts. So now I'm at NB 1.5v, FSB 1.4v & CPU 1.45v. 24 hours stable. My Ram stays at 2.2 for now. I've heard that when your in the middle of an overclock that your supposed to burn it there for a few days to break new components in then up the FSB later is this true? Where should I go from here as I am new at this.

Sorry, I've been out-of-state for awhile. Just got back a couple days ago. :D

Some people say that letting your settings burn in is good. Some say it does nothing at all. Personally, I've never thought about it before, but it can't hurt. :thumbs-up: So where are you at now?

Sorry, I've been out-of-state for awhile. Just got back a couple days ago. :D

Some people say that letting your settings burn in is good. Some say it does nothing at all. Personally, I've never thought about it before, but it can't hurt. :thumbs-up: So where are you at now?

Well a few hours later after I posted in the above post my mainboard took a turn for the worse. I went into my Bios and it froze/locked up/non responsive, so I had to RMA it. I tried to reboot but that did no good. I also tried resetting cmos, "that board was bricked." I have a friend that I play online gaming with and his CPU is acting like mine, @3.6GHz @1.55v on a EVGA SLI board has the same batch CPU# as me . Since he's on WC he has no problem running that Vcore, another friend (lucky bastard) running 1.35 @ 3.6GHz. Who knows maybe it was my mobo halting my progress the hole time, I guess we'll see soon here. I told NewEgg that if they could give me one of the older P5B's (0901 Bios) as mine came out of the box with Bios 1004. Everyone I know says that 1004 is designed for the newer CPU's (1333 FSB) and is horrible for the current Core 2's. What ever you guys do if you have a P5B with 0910 bios just leave it there. I am thinking about Water Cooling right now, what WC system would you suggest. I will spend some dough for a good long term set-up. Let you know how my new board turns out when I get it back. I should get it on Friday or Monday of next week.

What logic did you use to determine which voltage to adjust next? Just wondering, I've always wondered about this.

When you fail Orthos most people up the Vcore without knowing "why" they failed. So what I would do is raise the Northbridge Vcore retest, if it passes then you know. Always try upping the Vcore on everything else first before upping CPU Vcore. In my case I was at 3.2GHz vcore 1.45, NB 1.45 and FSB volts 1.4 and I failed. So next I upped the Vcore on the NB to 1.55v, I then retested and pasted. It was the NB Vcore, it was to low. I like to stay one notch below max setting as far as NB Vcore or FSB volts your asking for trouble without awesome cooling in your PC. "The NorthBridge Vcore setting has the biggest impact on high FSB overclocking success." Rather it be Intel or NVidia mainboards. :D

If you decide to buy water cooling, do NOT buy a kit! There are only a few decent kits and they are, at best, on par with a custom setup. Generally, a prebuilt kit is no better than high-end aircooling. Just take a look at what other people are using, see what's considered the best nowadays. Do a lot of research and find out what the best parts to fit your budget are (judging by your PC, you already know how to do this :rolleyes: ). You can spend as much or as little as you want: $50 for a kit on ebay or $100+ for just your pump.

...but that's a subject for a new topic. ;)