E6600 overclocking & temperture problem

Screw a small fan on the heat sink temporarily and see it helps. If you get the right size screw it will fit in the open areas of that heat sink.

I may well do something similar. No small fans here other than 80mm...so I might give that a go some time soon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the ambient temp inside the case, or your room? That is pretty high, why is your place so hot? I guess the fact that central air only cools about 20*F lower than the temps outdoors might have something to do with it, I guess.

That is my room temp. It's currently 84 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I've got the windows open. I rather enjoy this weather actually. Although it'd be nice if I had a refrigerated box I could stick my case in.

Well I am personally hitting a wall at just under 3.0GHz and when I touched the NB out of curiosity, I lost my finger tip. I read that a lot of people got past their own "walls" by doing this. I know it isn't a CPU problem, as it is ice-cool with the Scythe on it. I do know though, that the air circulation is lost when tall coolers are installed, as air doesn't blow downwards - it blows across instead. All my air flow is going either out of the case via the graphic card or just above the cooler and PSU. The NB is getting zero cold air! See below

Like I said - scouring the web looking for people with this problem doesn't take long. I am likely to buy a new NB cooler and will not be surprised if it means I can hit 3.4GHZ easily. Does the HR-05 SLI work on the Southbridge too? It seems as if it would...I'm considering the normal HR-05 for my NB though.

I had the same issue before. I actually propped a 120mm fan on the cables behind my video card, pointing at the NB heatsink, and it helped a lot. Although my current solution is much more elegant. If you get the HR-05, you'll have to mount it so the fins run parallel to your video card. It would be sitting pretty close to your heatsink. You should also take a look at the Noctua NC-U6. The HR-05 SLI wouldn't fit with your HSF... maybe if you moved the 120 on your Ninja and only used slots 2 & 4 for your RAM. However, I'm fairly certain that it would fit on the southbridge if you moved your X-Fi down. Here's a couple pics of my computer so you can see how big the heatsink is.

cimg5500customkz5.th.jpg cimg5502customja9.th.jpg

EDIT: NC-U6, HR-05 and HR-05 SLI review/comparison: http://damagedmind.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=134&page=1

Edited by Bleeble

That is my room temp. It's currently 84 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I've got the windows open. I rather enjoy this weather actually. Although it'd be nice if I had a refrigerated box I could stick my case in.

I had the same issue before. I actually propped a 120mm fan on the cables behind my video card, pointing at the NB heatsink, and it helped a lot. Although my current solution is much more elegant. If you get the HR-05, you'll have to mount it so the fins run parallel to your video card. It would be sitting pretty close to your heatsink. You should also take a look at the Noctua NC-U6. The HR-05 SLI wouldn't fit with your HSF... maybe if you moved the 120 on your Ninja and only used slots 2 & 4 for your RAM. However, I'm fairly certain that it would fit on the southbridge if you moved your X-Fi down. Here's a couple pics of my computer so you can see how big the heatsink is.

EDIT: NC-U6, HR-05 and HR-05 SLI review/comparison: http://damagedmind.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=134&page=1

How wide are the retention clips from pin to pin on the HR-05 SLI? My Southbridge is 30mm you see.

How wide are the retention clips from pin to pin on the HR-05 SLI? My Southbridge is 30mm you see.

My HR-05 SLI came with 3 or 4 different retention locks of various widths, so I assume it fits a large array of applications. I'll try to remember to check the widths when I get home.

EDIT###

Bleeble, I have never seen anyone list their vCore to 5-digit precision before :lol:

EDIT###

Bleeble, I have never seen anyone list their vCore to 5-digit precision before :lol:

That's because you've never seen anyone as awesome as me :P:lol:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_images/hr05/hr-05c-asm.jpg

http://www.thermalright.com/a_images/hr05s...-05-sli-asm.jpg

Retention clips for the HR-05 and SLI are the same. Looks like it won't fit. But now I'm curious... How did you get your southbridge so hot that it needs an aftermarket heatsink?

Edited by Bleeble

That's because you've never seen anyone as awesome as me :P:lol:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_images/hr05/hr-05c-asm.jpg

http://www.thermalright.com/a_images/hr05s...-05-sli-asm.jpg

Retention clips for the HR-05 and SLI are the same. Looks like it won't fit. But now I'm curious... How did you get your southbridge so hot that it needs an aftermarket heatsink?

I didn't get it THAT hot, but as I was saying to jammin - preparing for the worst :D that, and the cooler on it does get quite warm. Maybe a reapplication of ceramique rather than generic gunk ;)

Bleeble your right I was rushing it a little, but now I realise that and am now taking my time. It does seem that a lower multi of x8 allows me to lower my Vcore, but don't quote me yet.. Right now its @1.53v and seems stable for now and later I'll see how far lower I can go, that way I can maybe go higher on to 3.8GHz & 4.0GHz. Do you think it wise to go to 4.0GHz on air cooling? Do you think that really setting the NB voltage to max is safe, I could always get a fan or HS for it? O yeah earlyer CPU-Z shows Vcore but now it doesn't, know why? Max CPUID is disabled, PECI disabled, C1 support disabled. Also which stress test is more stressful on the CPU on Orthos?

Edited by Systemlord

CPU-Z shows the incorrect voltage on the new C2D chips a lot now. Especially after you go manual from auto or get about 3.2GHz.

You know what stress test is more stressful for CPU in Orthos?

Edited by Systemlord

Bleeble your right I was rushing it a little, but now I realise that and am now taking my time. It does seem that a lower multi of x8 allows me to lower my Vcore, but don't quote me yet.. Right now its @1.53v and seems stable for now and later I'll see how far lower I can go, that way I can maybe go higher on to 3.8GHz & 4.0GHz. Do you think it wise to go to 4.0GHz on air cooling? Do you think that really setting the NB voltage to max is safe, I could always get a fan or HS for it? O yeah earlyer CPU-Z shows Vcore but now it doesn't, know why? Max CPUID is disabled, PECI disabled, C1 support disabled. Also which stress test is more stressful on the CPU on Orthos?

As long as you keep your temps in check, you can OC as far as your hardware will let you. I don't know what your maximum NB voltage is, so I don't know if it's safe. I certainly think you should raise it above stock for OCing, just make sure you watch your temps. That reminds me, did you get everything figured out with Speedfan? I think you should definitely consider some kind of aftermarket chipset cooler, but I'm not sure what will work with your mobo. You'll have to research that one, see what other people have done.

You know what stress test is more stressful for CPU in Orthos?

Small FFTs with priority 8 will get you the highest temps and will fail faster than Blend if your OC is unstable. TAT gets temps even higher than Orthos but has a tendency of hard locking my computer instead of telling me there was an error (at least that has been my experience). The disadvantage of Small FFTs is that it doesn't stress your RAM as much as Blend. That said, a quick game of Quake will find instability that neither test will reveal. That's why I suggested Memtest and 3dmark for stability testing as well.

As long as you keep your temps in check, you can OC as far as your hardware will let you. I don't know what your maximum NB voltage is, so I don't know if it's safe. I certainly think you should raise it above stock for OCing, just make sure you watch your temps. That reminds me, did you get everything figured out with Speedfan? I think you should definitely consider some kind of aftermarket chipset cooler, but I'm not sure what will work with your mobo. You'll have to research that one, see what other people have done.

Small FFTs with priority 8 will get you the highest temps and will fail faster than Blend if your OC is unstable. TAT gets temps even higher than Orthos but has a tendency of hard locking my computer instead of telling me there was an error (at least that has been my experience). The disadvantage of Small FFTs is that it doesn't stress your RAM as much as Blend. That said, a quick game of Quake will find instability that neither test will reveal. That's why I suggested Memtest and 3dmark for stability testing as well.

Well I just failed Orthos after over 3 hours of blend priority 8 trying to lower my Vcore, Vcore was set at 1.575v but showed up in Bios as 1.50 Vcore. I think that when a Vcore of 1.575v is needed to maintain 1.5 Vcore for a constant core voltage of 1.5v. Do you have any reason to think that I'm failing because of something else in the system? Could the NB voltage have an effect on Vcore, as when Orthos say "FATAL ERROR" 1 error 0 warnings. Are these errors from the CPU, NB or Ram errors? I wonder if I raised the NB volts would I still get errors? I know that the NB has a big effect on CPU & Ram OC'ing, I wonder it effects other areas in OC'ing. :unsure:

Edited by Systemlord