E6600 overclocking & temperture problem

Your CPU clock is determined by FSB and a multiplier (266x9 for the E6600). Most CPUs allow you to lower the multi, but not raise it. The X6800 along with a few other CPUs allow you to raise it. To change the multi, enable "Modify Ratio Support" then set "Ratio CMOS Setting" to whatever you want. E6600s can use multis between 6 and 9. If you set your multi to 6, you can increase the FSB to see the maximum your mobo and RAM can handle without having to worry about CPU instability. Just set your multi to 6, vCore to 1.4V, and increase the FSB starting at 400. If you get instability, increase vMCH (chipset/NB), vDIMM (RAM), and/or change your memory timings. The guide I linked to should be able to tell you everything you need to know. Since I don't have the same mobo as you, I'd have to look at the guide to find the settings too. Check there first and if you can't find what you need I'm still happy to help. Make sure you do the other things it says like disabling C1E Support, etc.

From the guide:

That reminds me, try to point a fan at your NB heatsink if you haven't already. That will drop your temps a lot and help with stability.

Speedfan should have a handful of temps shown. Two are Tjunction, one is Tcase, one should be chipset/northbridge, and there might be more for your hard drive(s). The first three should be easy to find. Run TAT and they all jump immediately. Cores 0 and 1 are probably labeled. HDD temps rarely change and are likely already labeled (HD0, HD1, etc.), so those should be easy enough to spot. Lastly, you have NB. It will increase when you run Orthos or do something memory intensive, but not nearly as quickly as CPU temps (see the attached image). I've also got another random sensor that shows -1C and never changes. Obviously, if you've got something like that, ignore it.

On a random note, I just realized I've been typing "Vcore" when it's actually "vCore"... oops. :blush:

OK I just booted into windows with CPU @2.8ghz [email protected], @475x6, & rated FSB @1900MHz. So is this considered stable or do I need to stress test this for 12 hours or just a few as you stated earlyer just trying to move up the performance table?. Man have I learned alot in the last three days!

Edited by Systemlord

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I just booted into windows with CPU @2.8ghz [email protected], @475x6, & rated FSB @1900MHz. So is this considered stable or do I need to stress test this for 12 hours or just a few as you stated earlyer just trying to move up the performance table?. Man have I learned alot in the last three days!

I'd go just a few hours for each setting until you don't think it will go any farther. After it seems like you hit a wall and no voltage changes or tweaks help, then do longer tests and lower the speed until it's stable. Use MemTest to check stability (please note that this is not the same thing as Memtest86).

I'd go just a few hours for each setting until you don't think it will go any farther. After it seems like you hit a wall and no voltage changes or tweaks help, then do longer tests and lower the speed until it's stable. Use MemTest to check stability (please note that this is not the same thing as Memtest86).

Ok I found my limit. I set the FSB to 475x6, Ram @4-4-4-12 950MHz @2.25v & CPU @2.8GHz Vcore @1.4v. I ran memtest for 4 1/2 hours no errors, so next before moving on I set everything the same as above except for the Ram @1188MHz 2.25v & it didn't even boot(crashed). I know that my ram can handle over 1200MHz so its time to back down, so how do I proceed from here? How far would you lower your FSB if you had crashed at 475? If I had kepted the Ram @950MHz I might have been stable, but I don't want to push my luck. "O weight a minute I didn't even think to raise up the FSB or vdimm voltage, shoot." Should I raise all three, NB, vdimm & FSB voltage? I'll try it and get back to you.

Edited by Systemlord

Ok I have hit my FSB wall at 475x6, no matter how much I upped the NB & FSB voltage it didn't make any differance. The question now is how far do I back off that FSB wall so that I'm safe from instability? Hay does having a lower multiplier mean less Vcore needed? I'm guessing that maybe 450x8/x9 multiplier would be about right you think? With either 450x8=3.6GHz or 450x9=4.0GHz.

Edited by Systemlord

If you are currently only trying to find the limit of your RAM right now, check the VDIMM voltage. Don't go too high, but it does make a huge difference on the overclock; as much as the vCore and FSB will make on the CPU. Granted, though, the CPU may also limit the extent you can raise the FSB regardless of the multi that you use.

It is fun to play around, that is what we do. However, when it comes to real world usage of your system, don't think that your 400*9 overclock running your RAM at its specified specs is anything to comlain about. DDR2 1066 is still fast RAM.

Here's some food for thought though already mentioned slightly...P965 chipsets...how hot are people's Northbridge coolers here? I mean, not just hot to the touch - any actual temps from a probe? I keep reading that people are hitting an OC wall with E6600 and P965 and a good amount of time, a new NB cooler or better cooling on the NB itself resolves this issue.

I'm just intrigued, as I intend to replace my NB on the S3.

Ok I have hit my FSB wall at 475x6, no matter how much I upped the NB & FSB voltage it didn't make any differance. The question now is how far do I back off that FSB wall so that I'm safe from instability? Hay does having a lower multiplier mean less Vcore needed? I'm guessing that maybe 450x8/x9 multiplier would be about right you think? With either 450x8=3.6GHz or 450x9=4.0GHz.

Well, I think you should keep working on your RAM. :P Set your timings to 5-5-5-15 and vDIMM to 2.3V. How exactly did you get to 1188MHz? Using a divider is not the right way (2:5, was that it?). Leave the memory at 1:1 and increase the FSB. It's not uncommon for P5B's to break the 500 MHz FSB barrier. Honestly... 1188MHz might be a bit too much to hope for. Especially with only 2.25V. Maybe with 2.5V or more, but not 2.25. Your memory is guaranteed to run at DDR2-1066 (although not a single MHz more). If it can't, I suggest you RMA it. Even if 475 is really as far as you can go (and I firmly believe you can go farther), that's a theoretical maximum CPU speed of 4275MHz (475x9), and that's pretty darn fast. So, is 475 stable? If it is, but you really can't go beyond, I'd stay right there... maybe lower it 1-2MHz if you're feeling cautious.

And I haven't heard anything about a lower multiplier not needing as much vCore, although it is an interesting idea that I might have to look into. As far as I know, the amount of vCore needed is determined by the final CPU speed.

Please don't take this personally, but I think you're in a rush and you're skipping steps. You need to be persistent and thorough if you really want to get the most out of your computer. Take things one step at a time right now and it'll make your life easier later. :) If you just want a decent OC and aren't determined to squeeze out as much performance as you can, just let me know and I'll quit bugging you about this stuff. You're not going to hurt my feelings by being honest. ;)

Here's some food for thought though already mentioned slightly...P965 chipsets...how hot are people's Northbridge coolers here? I mean, not just hot to the touch - any actual temps from a probe? I keep reading that people are hitting an OC wall with E6600 and P965 and a good amount of time, a new NB cooler or better cooling on the NB itself resolves this issue.

I'm just intrigued, as I intend to replace my NB on the S3.

I've seen the same thing, but I've never seen anyone post before and after data about what speeds they could reach and their temps. I'm using the HR-05 SLI and my NB was 35C with my fan at 7V, it'll probably be 33 if I turn it to 12V. This is at stock speeds right now, although I may have forgotten to decrease the voltage as it seems too warm. Ambient is... 28. The $20 I spent on aftermarket chipset cooling was certainly worth it.

I've seen the same thing, but I've never seen anyone post before and after data about what speeds they could reach and their temps. I'm using the HR-05 SLI and my NB was 35C with my fan at 7V, it'll probably be 33 if I turn it to 12V. This is at stock speeds right now, although I may have forgotten to decrease the voltage as it seems too warm. Ambient is... 28. The $20 I spent on aftermarket chipset cooling was certainly worth it.

Is that the ambient temp inside the case, or your room? That is pretty high, why is your place so hot? I guess the fact that central air only cools about 20*F lower than the temps outdoors might have something to do with it, I guess.

Well I am personally hitting a wall at just under 3.0GHz and when I touched the NB out of curiosity, I lost my finger tip. I read that a lot of people got past their own "walls" by doing this. I know it isn't a CPU problem, as it is ice-cool with the Scythe on it. I do know though, that the air circulation is lost when tall coolers are installed, as air doesn't blow downwards - it blows across instead. All my air flow is going either out of the case via the graphic card or just above the cooler and PSU. The NB is getting zero cold air! See below

img7483xt1.jpg

Like I said - scouring the web looking for people with this problem doesn't take long. I am likely to buy a new NB cooler and will not be surprised if it means I can hit 3.4GHZ easily. Does the HR-05 SLI work on the Southbridge too? It seems as if it would...I'm considering the normal HR-05 for my NB though.

Well, I think you should keep working on your RAM. :P Set your timings to 5-5-5-15 and vDIMM to 2.3V.. Honestly... 1188MHz might be a bit too much to hope for. Especially with only 2.25V. Maybe with 2.5V or more, but not 2.25. Your memory is guaranteed to run at DDR2-1066 (although not a single MHz more). If it can't, I suggest you RMA it. Even if 475 is really as far as you can go (and I firmly believe you can go farther), that's a theoretical maximum CPU speed of 4275MHz (475x9), and that's pretty darn fast. So, is 475 stable? If it is, but you really can't go beyond, I'd stay right there... maybe lower it 1-2MHz if you're feeling cautious.

Thats why I bought the Crucial's because they can run @1200MHz 5-5-5-15 at only 2.25v, :P "look at the reviews on HardWareLogic or NewEgg." I tried underclocking my Ram just to get a higher FSB, I kept upping the NB & FSB voltage with constant crashing. I'd like to go higher but my temps are in the mid 60's (TAT) but 4GHZ on air cooling maybe not, I do think I can manage 3.8Ghz though. Right now I'm at 3.6GHz, FSB @450MHz, Ram @900MHz 2.25v & 1.53 Vcore (still testing). I havent given up yet though. :D

Thats why I bought the Crucial's because they can run @1200MHz 5-5-5-15 at only 2.25v, :P "look at the reviews on HardWareLogic or NewEgg." I tried underclocking my Ram just to get a higher FSB, I kept upping the NB & FSB voltage with constant crashing. I'd like to go higher but my temps are in the mid 60's (TAT) but 4GHZ on air cooling maybe not, I do think I can manage 3.8Ghz though. Right now I'm at 3.6GHz, FSB @450MHz, Ram @900MHz 2.25v & 1.53 Vcore (still testing). I havent given up yet though. :D

Sounds good. Just make sure you tighten those timings! ;)