E6600 overclocking & temperture problem

Just for a bit of comparison, my e6600 with a Thermal Right Si-128 with a 120mm 40db fan (Plenty of airflow) at 2.4ghz 1.35 (Stock) at load (Orthos) is about 37C on both cores.

But I'm guessing because of the smaller core (65nm) the temperatures skyrocket with a very small amount of voltage increase. My current OC (3.5 at 1.51V) gets around 70C at max load (Orthos for 2 hours).

From what I've seen (lot's of others posting there temps/vcore for higher OC'ing) your vcore seems a bit high for your 3.5ghz Do you have vcore set to auto, if so try to lower it until it becomes stable. Sometimes the auto for vcore can over do it. Vcore as you know can have a very huge impact on temps, lower yours a little and see if you can run lower. Bleeble has a 3.6ghz OC with vcore @1.44. What motherbord do you have?Later's

Edited by Systemlord

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I'm happy to help! Make sure you post back here when you're done. I want to see your results.

...now maybe it's time for me to lap my own waterblock and CPU...

Down below are my first overclock E6600 @3240MHz Vcore 1.3520V, let's have a look. Also what do you think I should shoot for as my max overclock temp's and what Vcore should it be between 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz range? :lol:

post-21756-1181275777_thumb.png

post-21756-1181275861_thumb.png

Edited by Systemlord

Down below are my first overclock E6600 @3240MHz Vcore 1.3520V, let's have a look. Also what do you think I should shoot for as my max overclock temp's and what Vcore should it be between 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz range? :lol:

Nice progress. I'm sure you can get 3.8GHz without much trouble. I forgot to mention it before, but make sure you join the Socket 775 Oc Competition Thread.

I've seen a lot of E6600s doing 400x9 with 1.40-1.45 volts. If you're in that range you're doing good. Depending on who you ask a "safe" maximum vCore is 1.50-1.55. Personally, I won't go past 1.55V (after I get some new RAM that won't hold me back that is ;)). As far as temps are concerned, it depends greatly on your ambient temp. For example, my computer has been idling around 51C all day (I'm afraid to test my load temps :lol:). Now is when most people start freaking out and telling me to reseat my waterblock, get new fans, etc. If you check my sig you can see I have a killer WC setup and shouldn't have temps anywhere near that high. Of course, when you consider that the ambient was 32C+, that's really not so bad. So, what is your ambient temperature?

EDIT: Oh, don't forget to put your specs in your signature (My Controls > Edit Signature).

Edited by Bleeble

Now is when most people start freaking out and telling me to reseat my waterblock, get new fans, etc. If you check my sig you can see I have a killer WC setup and shouldn't have temps anywhere near that high. Of course, when you consider that the ambient was 32C+, that's really not so bad. So, what is your ambient temperature?

My ambient temps are below room temp for sure, durring the summer I use my AC a lot as that will keep my temps down. Durring the fall/winter no problem and maybe I'll get to 4.0GHz, but that might be pushing it too far. I'll take you advice and stay below 1.55 Vcore and under 58c full load. Hay you should lap both your CPU & waterblock as you know it will bring your temps down, here's proof me. :D

My ambient temps are below room temp for sure, durring the summer I use my AC a lot as that will keep my temps down. Durring the fall/winter no problem and maybe I'll get to 4.0GHz, but that might be pushing it too far. I'll take you advice and stay below 1.55 Vcore and under 58c full load. Hay you should lap both your CPU & waterblock as you know it will bring your temps down, here's proof me. :D

When I say "ambient" I'm just about the temperature of the area your computer is in. What temp is your AC set at? For load temps, just try to stay below 65C for daily/long-term usage, otherwise you can toast your CPU. However, you can likely go as high as the 70s with higher voltages for short periods (benchmarking, suicide screenshot, etc.) without doing any permanent damage. Just remember: how far you push your hardware should be directly proportional to your desire and ability to replace anything you kill. :lol:

I know I need to lap my CPU and WB. I can shave off 2-5C or possibly more, depending on how bad my IHS is. I've even got all the sandpaper to do it. But I don't want to drain my whole loop just to lap my WB. I use MCT-5 and don't have enough to refill it again and I'm too broke to buy more right now. It's something like $20 for a container. Once you add shipping to that it gets a bit expensive; so I won't buy it unless I'm getting something else with it. Besides, I'm just too lazy to do it. :P Seriously, that'd mean I'd actually have to turn my computer off and... *shudder* not use it!

But after lapping and getting new memory, I'm determined to hit 4GHz. Now all I need is money...

When I say "ambient" I'm just about the temperature of the area your computer is in. What temp is your AC set at? For load temps, just try to stay below 65C for daily/long-term usage, otherwise you can toast your CPU. However, you can likely go as high as the 70s with higher voltages for short periods (benchmarking, suicide screenshot, etc.) without doing any permanent damage. Just remember: how far you push your hardware should be directly proportional to your desire and ability to replace anything you kill. :lol:

I know I need to lap my CPU and WB. I can shave off 2-5C or possibly more, depending on how bad my IHS is. I've even got all the sandpaper to do it. But I don't want to drain my whole loop just to lap my WB. I use MCT-5 and don't have enough to refill it again and I'm too broke to buy more right now. It's something like $20 for a container. Once you add shipping to that it gets a bit expensive; so I won't buy it unless I'm getting something else with it. Besides, I'm just too lazy to do it. :P Seriously, that'd mean I'd actually have to turn my computer off and... *shudder* not use it!

But after lapping and getting new memory, I'm determined to hit 4GHz. Now all I need is money...

I have my comptuer in the coolest part of the house and in my office not 6 feet away is the vent from the AC, then I have a ceiling fan right over my head/computer. I have always kept a constant temp in my house way below room temp all year round. I have my AC set at 65F because I'm very picky about my in house temps. I even have a thermalstat on the wall next to my PC, I chose this room specificly for my comptuer. :D If money is an issue you can at least lap your CPU, but you might want to wait until you can do both at same time. Let me know your temps when & if you lap both your CPU and waterblock. :thumbs-up:

If money is an issue you can at least lap your CPU, but you might want to wait until you can do both at same time. Let me know your temps when & if you lap both your CPU and waterblock. :thumbs-up:

Exactly. Doing just one or the other might actually make things worse. So I'm content to leave it as for now. But now that I have some free time, I'll have to start selling random stuff to buy computer parts. I'll definitely make a post when I start lapping. Maybe even with pictures!

Hey I overclocked to 3.6GHz using Orthos today with a max load temp of 61c and an idle of 32c. My question is does hardcore gaming for many hours (12 hours non stop) create temp's like that seen in Orthos and others like it? I played graw today for 30 minutes and my temp's never went past 50c, so I'm guessing that 3.6GHz @61c is not good for many hours for stress testing but for gaming isn't it alright? One last question, when using TAT or Everest do the digital temp's for each core represent the final reading or does the IHS represent the hole temp? I know I can reach 3.8GHz but I will need to replace my PC case, one of those ThermalTake Armer's will do. Thanks again for your valuble time. :D

Edited by Systemlord

It has been my experience that gaming doesn't even come close to stressing your CPU as much as Orthos, Prime95, etc. Now, that said, it does stress the rest of your system, specifically RAM and GPU. To be honest, I wouldn't be worried about load temps in the lower 60s. My current load is around 63.

One last question, when using TAT or Everest do the digital temp's for each core represent the final reading or does the IHS represent the hole temp? I know I can reach 3.8GHz but I will need to replace my PC case, one of those ThermalTake Armer's will do. Thanks again for your valuble time. :D

If I understand what you're asking, TAT and Coretemp show the actual temperature of the cores, as reported by the CPU. Depending on what program you use, there will be a small (1-2C) difference between readings on the same core. For example, TAT shows core 1 at 62C but Coretemp is showing 63-64C. I would trust TAT above anything else, as it's made by Intel. Programs like Speedfan generally read a third sensor between the two cores or under the die and then apply some kind of formula or offset and are generally innaccurate. Although the latest version of Speedfan reads the two cores and stays right along with CT. That, in combination with the relatively small memory footprint, the ability to see my HDD and chipset temps, and the nifty graphs, makes it my program of choice. I think you'll find the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide an interesting/informative read.

I had a Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS. It's a good case and I really liked it. But when it came time to install a watercooling system with a huge triple-120 radiator, I just couldn't make it work at still have a usable case. So I ditched it in favor of a CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK. I don't know what kind of case you've got now, but these are monsters. The Armor is 35 pounds empty and the Stacker is 39! If you want a semi-portable or LAN party computer, keep that in mind. Personally, I don't mind hauling my 60 pound Stacker around everywhere. Besides, it has casters! B:)

My current load is around 63c. B:)

If I understand you correctly when you say, "My current load is around 63c", is that Tcase or Tjunction? Example: Everest (all load temp's) show's my CPU @50c then core#1 @65c and core#2 @65c, are you going by the hottest core (for your final temp) or are you going by the IHS/Tcase temp? I think I know now that Tcase is the IHS temp, is that where you get your 63c reading from? Have a look at the tempurters in the attached benchmark file, OC'ing is a hole other world isn't it. :sleep:

Bench_Report_Orthos_6_hours_40_minutes.htm

Edited by Systemlord

I just look at both core temperatures and pick the highest temp if there's a difference. Based on the file you uploaded, your load temp is 55C.

Here's a quote from the Temperature Guide I linked to:

Some users also may not know that C2D's feature 3 sensors at 2 different temperatures; a single on-die Tcase sensor (between the Cores), and dual Tjunction sensors (one within each Core).

And one from CoreTemp's website:

Intel defines a certain Tjunction temperature for the processor. In the case of Yonah it is 85C

I just look at both core temperatures and pick the highest temp if there's a difference. Based on the file you uploaded, your load temp is 55C.

Here's a quote from the Temperature Guide I linked to:

And one from CoreTemp's website:

Does that clarify things a bit?

Well not really, I'm even more confused now. :huh: In my benchmark file it say's, CPU 45c loaded then core#1 54c and core# 2 55c. :unsure: Then why are there three different temps? I read that guide Core 2 Duo temp at Tom's Hardware and it say's max Tcase 65c and max Tjuction 75 (core# 1 & 2) , so I can have my Tcase (CPU IHS) @65c and Tjunction (core 1 & 2) @75c? First there was Tcase then Tjuction and now there's Delta. Oh man.