To wide screen or not to wide screen?

Well it seems that my 4 year old Dell 17 inch LCD is showing signs it's about to kick the bucket it's time for a new one. Bigred pointed out to me that BestBuy is having a sell on westing house monitors this week so the 2 I am interested in are:

$129 19 In wide screen http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1170290376114

or I can pinch the penny's out and go for the $159 20 in regular

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1170290375780

I want your guys experience from switching from regular to wide screen and if it is better for gaming. I am a bit cautious as I dont want to buy something I am not going to enjoy when I take it home because money is tight for me, I dont want to play a game on a wide screen and have it cut off around the edges with black empty space I paid for the monitor and I want to use the entire space when gaming (someone please enlighten me on this). Also do games look squished when played on widescreen and is it hard to get use to?

These are on sale till the 2nd so fast responses are welcomed :)

In my experience I have yet to encounter a game that will give you black bars when playing in wide screen. I bought my first wide screen 2 years ago an love it. Since then many game developers have started adding wide screen to there supported resolutions. There are a few games that you will have to manually tweak yourself if you want to play in wide screen. For any information on games you play that your interested in I would definitely check out Widescreen gaming forum they have TONS of useful information.

So all in all I would tell you to take the wide screen route. It seems like each month they are becoming more of the standard..... (look at your local bestbuy's in-store stock)

Well it seems that my 4 year old Dell 17 inch LCD is showing signs it's about to kick the bucket it's time for a new one. Bigred pointed out to me that BestBuy is having a sell on westing house monitors this week so the 2 I am interested in are:

$129 19 In wide screen http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1170290376114

or I can pinch the penny's out and go for the $159 20 in regular

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1170290375780

I want your guys experience from switching from regular to wide screen and if it is better for gaming. I am a bit cautious as I dont want to buy something I am not going to enjoy when I take it home because money is tight for me, I dont want to play a game on a wide screen and have it cut off around the edges with black empty space I paid for the monitor and I want to use the entire space when gaming (someone please enlighten me on this). Also do games look squished when played on widescreen and is it hard to get use to?

These are on sale till the 2nd so fast responses are welcomed :)

Those 2 screens look like nice buys. But you may want to consider a screen that can go up to a resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Other than that you shouldn't worrie about black empty spaces on side of the screen. I have a windscreen and games that don't support windscreen resolutions still take up the entire screen but instead of running the game at the LCDs full resolution like for example 1680x1050 you'd be only able to run that game on a lower resolution like 1280x960.

Definetly to Widescreen! It don't get much better than that whilst playing CSS or watching 300 :)

I would check out the LG Flatron L226WTQ if I were you, I got it, it's sweet to say the least!

dude - at that price i'd get two of those. i have a samsung 19" wide and i dont' think i'll ever go back to standard a/r.

16:10 ftw! hey, that rhymes :)

Defiantely widescreen. I've had my widescreen for 8 months now and I absolutely love it. Couldn't go back to 4:3 now.

Don't go for the 1400x1050 resolution, thats 4:3, and seems to be a cheap fill in for 20" 1600x1200 4:3 monitors of old. Maybe worth a look if you plan to have dual monitors, for that price thats a sensible idea, and something I considered, however you cant top the widescreen for watching films etc :thumbs-up:

+1 for widescreen, my friend said it was a waste of money when I bought mine, but a few months later, he had one for himself, an inch larger than mine of course :P I have a 19in Wide by the way, and 1440x900 is ok, but I would rather have larger, nothing is ever fast or large enough lol :D

1680x1050 is really what you should opt for, you just have SUCH a great view of everything! 1440x900 makes the icons to big for my taste. I dunno what resolution you run right now, but before this screen I had a 17" Fujitsu-Siemens CRT, which I ran at 1280x1024. If you look at the numbers, height stays about the same, just add 26 pixels, no biggie. But the Wideness, yea, that get a hell of a lot bigger! A whoppin' 400 pixels wider! It's definetly worth it!

I just went widescreen yesterday and Ill never go back to my CRT. Games like BF2 dont support widescreen but with the tweaks it looks fine.