New rig for coolcat :)

so it looks like this is what i will get (water i will also get but later)

LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower $79.99

HIS Hightech H290XT512DVN-R Radeon HD 2900 XT $449.99

OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $299.99

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $104.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz $224.90

---------------------

TOTAL: $1,089.86

I have the hard drive and optical drive that I need.

The 2900 XT will fold (has a client been released yet?), but the gaming price/performance just isn't there. You can get the same gaming performance from a 8800GTS for $150 less. To me, folding on my vgu is not worth $150, and with the budget concerns you expressed earlier, I'm surprised that it is to you. Also, with the power consumption numbers on those new ATi cards, I'm not sure I'd want it at 100% load all day. But that's up to you.

Also, 4GB is overkill. You can get plenty of great 2x1GB sets for under $100 now and that will last you a very long time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ecthlipsis
The 2900 XT will fold (has a client been released yet?), but the gaming price/performance just isn't there. You can get the same gaming performance from a 8800GTS for $150 less. To me, folding on my vgu is not worth $150, and with the budget concerns you expressed earlier, I'm surprised that it is to you. Also, with the power consumption numbers on those new ATi cards, I'm not sure I'd want it at 100% load all day. But that's up to you.

Also, 4GB is overkill. You can get plenty of great 2x1GB sets for under $100 now and that will last you a very long time.

The R600 (2900) is a failed product. Read some more reviews... it's really not the best way to go for the money at all, and pretty much only ATI fanboys are buying them. The XTX version sucked so bad in comparison to the GTX it wasn't even released. AMD (ATI) lost this round badly against the 8800's. Not only did the R600's come out about 7 months after the 8800's, they are more expensive for the same bang, are huge, power hungry, and run hot. Do what you want, but I'd highly recommend going with a 640mb GTS or even the GTX. You can get a GTX for the price of that 2900XT you're looking at, and the GTX stomps it into the dirt.

No, the HD2900XT should be a great buy, for folding at least. The Quad is rubbish, no questions asked. E6600 and OC the mad hell out of it and you're set. 4 gigs of memory is overdoing it as well, 2 gigs of 1066MHz RAM should be more than enough!

Nah...the 8800 GTS is just as good isn't it? Link I want to SLI a pair of these :ph34r:

Nah...the 8800 GTS is just as good isn't it? Link I want to SLI a pair of these :ph34r:

But you said earlier that you couldn't afford an eVGA SLI board. Since you're not likely to get an SLI board much cheaper than that, I find this confusing. If you can't spend $200 on a board, how can you spend almost $800 on video? And if you can't afford one of the cheapest SLI boards, how do you plan to run SLI?

:withstupid:

SLIing them is kinna useless anyways, way too expensive for the performance. You won't need it now anyways! I say scrap SLI and get a better board!

That's half what I meant. SLI 8800 anything is pretty overkill and mostly just for bragging rights. I'm with you there. But I wouldn't necessarily say that he should get a better board. The 965P-S3 or DS3 is a great board, and I think you'd agree. Apart from looking at the new P35 versions (which really isn't that much more money), I'd say to stick with that.

My point is more that he seems to be all over the board with his comments. First he wants 6700, then a quad, then 2 Xeons ( :blink: ). Then he says he can't afford an eVGA 680i but he can afford $760 for video. How do you plan to run SLI if you're not buying and SLI board? It just seems a little looney toons.

Guest ecthlipsis

:withstupid:

I would stay away from 680i if I were you, also. People seem to be having a ton of problems with them. I'd at least get an SLI board to have the option for it, even though it is overkill atm. I plan to get a 2nd 640mb GTS in about 8-10 months. No need for it now at all. Just stay away from the Radeon regardless... I have no problem with Radeon (AMD) at all, but the fact remains that they are lagging behind in the present.