New rig for coolcat :)

I remember reading an article somewhere where they tested a xeon chip as a cpu in a gaming rig. Did really well at number crunching and all the server-ish tasks but it was lagging behind to older chips in gaming. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the xeons. Save some cash, get a C2D and a nice motherboard. Plus you'll have to cool 2 cpu's if you go the dual xeon route which means a bigger case, more fans which equals to more noise or a powerful WC setup.

Don't be silly, 2x the same fan sounds exactly the same as 1x the same fan. And also PLEASE, SOMEONE TELL ME: the $500 quad kentsfield or a dualcore conroe? whats better?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be silly, 2x the same fan sounds exactly the same as 1x the same fan. And also PLEASE, SOMEONE TELL ME: the $500 quad kentsfield or a dualcore conroe? whats better?

The conroe, quite a few benchmarks proved that the quad core just isnt fully utilized by most common apps to make a huge performance gain to warrant the purchase unless your only going to fold on it.

Tell me though, of those same fans, I'm sure 20x of them sound like 1x right? :P j/k

The conroe, quite a few benchmarks proved that the quad core just isnt fully utilized by most common apps to make a huge performance gain to warrant the purchase unless your only going to fold on it.

Tell me though, of those same fans, I'm sure 20x of them sound like 1x right? :P j/k

Ok, what i am saying is... take two fans, same model, lets say that one makes 15 DB. 2 of them will not make 30 db. you wont notice i guess i'm saying...

Guest ecthlipsis

If you buy Nexus fans you don't need to worry about hearing them at all. www.stopthenoise.com lol.

Ok, what i am saying is... take two fans, same model, lets say that one makes 15 DB. 2 of them will not make 30 db. you wont notice i guess i'm saying...

Ever heard of interference patterns? It may not double the noise but if they sync up exactly(and even if they don't), you'll hear an annoying pulsing sound or periods where it gets louder and then quieter. Right now you may be thinking "that's fine with me" but trust me, it'll drive you mad :D And as swifty said, you're throwing away money for performance that you won't ever see until programs start supporting four cores. Heck, even dual core support in most apps out there is pretty uncommon. That's just 2 cores going to waste in a quad core setup...

Ever heard of interference patterns? It may not double the noise but if they sync up exactly(and even if they don't), you'll hear an annoying pulsing sound or periods where it gets louder and then quieter. Right now you may be thinking "that's fine with me" but trust me, it'll drive you mad :D And as swifty said, you're throwing away money for performance that you won't ever see until programs start supporting four cores. Heck, even dual core support in most apps out there is pretty uncommon. That's just 2 cores going to waste in a quad core setup...

I want it so i can SMP fold 24\7 whether i am running smp games or not.

so it looks like this is what i will get (water i will also get but later)

LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower $79.99

HIS Hightech H290XT512DVN-R Radeon HD 2900 XT $449.99

OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $299.99

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $104.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz $224.90

---------------------

TOTAL: $1,089.86

I have the hard drive and optical drive that I need.

I want it so i can SMP fold 24\7 whether i am running smp games or not.

well, right there you did justify getting a quad core but... this also looks good

so it looks like this is what i will get (water i will also get but later)

LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower $79.99

HIS Hightech H290XT512DVN-R Radeon HD 2900 XT $449.99

OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $299.99

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $104.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz $224.90

---------------------

TOTAL: $1,089.86

I have the hard drive and optical drive that I need.

You should be good with that rig, I have a E6600 with a asus p5wdh and another e6600 on the way but with a eva 680i board :) *this ought to keep that tnruhl guy a bit busy :P *

I have a E6600 with a asus p5wdh and another e6600 on the way but with a eva 680i board :) *this ought to keep that tnruhl guy a bit busy :P *

Swifty you may have to order another E6600 also to keep him busy, hes coming on strong! :foldon:

Swifty you may have to order another E6600 also to keep him busy, hes coming on strong! :foldon:

Yea he sure is, I just hope a pair of e6600 @ 3.6ghz can ward him off for a bit till I can afford to build a quad core server :lol::foldon:

guys... i think i might step down the video... i am such a noob - lack of knowledge - might get the quad?

No, the HD2900XT should be a great buy, for folding at least. The Quad is rubbish, no questions asked. E6600 and OC the mad hell out of it and you're set. 4 gigs of memory is overdoing it as well, 2 gigs of 1066MHz RAM should be more than enough!